The Student Room Group

A* Extended Project help (EPQ)

Hey guys, hope all is well. I always find myself answering questions about the EPQ, so feel free to ask me any questions here if you need any help.
I achieved an A* in my Extended Project and would be more than happy to help. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

how much time (hours eg) did you put into it and essentially tips in getting an A*
Hi!

What was your question?
How did you reference things? I can't do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by angelabraga
how much time (hours eg) did you put into it and essentially tips in getting an A*

I put quite a lot of time into mine- all in all I'd say it would have totalled around 200 hours. This was generally because my title was relatively new in terms of scientific developments so I had to do a lot of background research :smile:
The only tips I could give you is to always be very specific and detailed in your write up, your presentation and when producing your logs or else it's very easy to lose marks and push you out of the A*. Also, document and evaluate your research and use a variety of resources as opposed to the internet exclusively.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by ScarletRose
Hi!

What was your question?

Hey! My final question was: 'Could embryonic stem cells provide an effective treatment for macular degeneration?'
Reply 6
Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal
How did you reference things? I can't do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my Bibliography I used Harvard Referencing in chronological order, you can check out the format here: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/assets/harvard_quick_guide_tcm44-47797.pdf

In my actual dissertation I referenced the book name or website URL as a footnote. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
How come I didn't get selected to do EPQ whereas my friend did even though I got higher grades than him in GCSE? Is there a selection process or is it just random?
Reply 8
Original post by Lord Kitchener
How come I didn't get selected to do EPQ whereas my friend did even though I got higher grades than him in GCSE? Is there a selection process or is it just random?

Depends on your college/sixth form. At my school it was an optional qualification so whoever wanted to sign up for it was able to do so, but I guess it works differently everywhere. The EPQ is a pretty big commitment and takes several months of work to complete so either it was a random selection process at your place or they feel you may not be committed enough in the sense that you're doing more time consuming or more numerous A-levels so carrying out an EPQ would leave you with less time for your own studies.
Original post by preetg97
In my Bibliography I used Harvard Referencing in chronological order, you can check out the format here: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/assets/harvard_quick_guide_tcm44-47797.pdf

In my actual dissertation I referenced the book name or website URL as a footnote. :smile:

Yes it looks great now thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by GeorgiaAnnBeal
Yes it looks great now thankyou!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem at all, glad to be of help. :smile:
Original post by preetg97
Hey guys, hope all is well. I always find myself answering questions about the EPQ, so feel free to ask me any questions here if you need any help.
I achieved an A* in my Extended Project and would be more than happy to help. :smile:

I want to do a maths degree, but I picked abortion as my EPQ topic, as I couldn't think of anything good that's maths related. Do you have any ideas? i plan to go into actuary or banking after the degree.

Also, should I try to get my school to let me do additional further maths instead of EPQ? I'm going into AS, and plan to apply to Cambridge.
Reply 12
Original post by vd12345
I want to do a maths degree, but I picked abortion as my EPQ topic, as I couldn't think of anything good that's maths related. Do you have any ideas? i plan to go into actuary or banking after the degree.

Also, should I try to get my school to let me do additional further maths instead of EPQ? I'm going into AS, and plan to apply to Cambridge.

Even though it might be useful to pick a topic which is directly related to what you want to study further at university, it's not always possible and not always essential. The skills you gain from carrying out an EPQ are worth much more than the topic that you've chosen to do as such, as they would be applicable at university.
I had a friend who carried out an EPQ on maths funnily enough - her topic was essentially looking into the history of mathamatics to deduce whether it was something that naturally occurs (in nature etc.)
I don't know a lot about additional further maths but honestly just ask them to do whatever is best for you. Obviously by taking the further maths you will have more exams to sit, and an EPQ is worth the same number of UCAS points as an AS level.
I was thinking of doing an EPQ about Muslim headscarf wearers. Any ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ftahir02
I was thinking of doing an EPQ about Muslim headscarf wearers. Any ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile

A bit brief.
Original post by quentinhamilton
A bit brief.

Yeah lol. You an see why I need help. I'm not actually a hijab wearer myself. I think it would be interesting to write about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ftahir02
Yeah lol. You an see why I need help. I'm not actually a hijab wearer myself. I think it would be interesting to write about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe Muslim women in modern society? Then you are able to also add in the hijab along with other aspects.
How long did it take you to decide on your question? I'm worried that I am going to waste too much time trying to work out what I want to write about, rather than actually sitting down and doing it- did you find that you were doing a lot of research before you even selected a topic?
What is the EPQ?
And what is the point of it?
We don't do it (unless it's under a different name 😂)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quentinhamilton
Maybe Muslim women in modern society? Then you are able to also add in the hijab along with other aspects.

Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest