The Student Room Group

Advice for mature students starting university?

So going to university as a mature student can be quite daunting as well as exciting. One of our mature students shared some of his top tips, so I thought it would be nice to share them with you all here :h: If you've got any advice you share that would also be really lovely.

Name: Darren
Course: BA Hons Business Management

1) Prepare your family for the time and commitments this is going to take. It may mean you completing assignments at unsociable hours or weekends. You will need their support to understand how important this is to you.

2) Treat your studies as a job. Turn up for all the tutorials and lectures. Evidence shows a connection between attendance and grades. After all you’ve paid for this…get your money’s worth.

3) Familiarise yourself with academic terms early in your course. Understand things like referencing and why it's important. You may not have been through any preparation at colleges recently, so make use of the Study Skills team for support.

4) Make use of your subject librarian. Many are subject experts qualified to Masters degree level. They are not just filling shelves. Get their help to find the resources you need for your assignments.

5) Make friends with the younger students. Don’t isolate yourself, you’ll find most students open and welcoming whatever their age. They can benefit from your life experience, you can benefit from their fresh ideas.

Overall ENJOY YOURSELF. You have taken a long journey to get here. Get involved and enjoy the experience!

Current mature students: How has it been for you? What is your advice for people starting uni this year?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I agree with all of the above, and would also add: don't leave all of your revision until the Easter holidays (like I did last year, whoops). When you have other commitments in your life, it's easy to just do the minimum to get through your coursework, but it's really worth setting aside some time every week to review your work, make sure you have understood everything, and try to commit it to memory. Then you can use the Easter holidays to practise past papers, rather than relearning stuff you should have remembered.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
I agree with all of the above, and would also add: don't leave all of your revision until the Easter holidays (like I did last year, whoops). When you have other commitments in your life, it's easy to just do the minimum to get through your coursework, but it's really worth setting aside some time every week to review your work, make sure you have understood everything, and try to commit it to memory. Then you can use the Easter holidays to practise past papers, rather than relearning stuff you should have remembered.

That's great advice, thanks for sharing :smile: I'd also say if there's something that you don't understand, approach your lecturer straight away so they can help you. Don't leave it until exams as sometimes a certain concept can be key in understanding how lots of other things work.
Thanks for this. Interesting to hear some tips from those who've been though it.

Original post by Staffordshire University
Treat your studies as a job.

You mean duck out from it as often as possible to take coffee breaks and bad mouth your superiors? :laugh:

Seriously, though, I'm intrigued as to how the two compare. My most recent working experience was doing 40-45 hours per week - only 5 weeks hols per year, but once I walked out of the office at 6pm or whatever, I was done for the day. I approached Access in a similar way - studied privately or was in class morning and afternoon weekdays, doing about the same number of hours per week (inc. travel time to and from college). Any time I missed during 'office hours' I compensated for at other times, but by and large I aimed to do it all during the day from Mon-Fri.

What's the workload like in terms of hours pw for a Humanities student, or is it so variable that there's no generic right answer? I'm sure I'll figure out schedules and priorities in due time, but I'm curious.
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice

You mean duck out from it as often as possible to take coffee breaks and bad mouth your superiors? :laugh:

I'm sure everyone reading this would never take extra coffee breaks or bad mouth their superiors...! :wink:

Seriously, though, I'm intrigued as to how the two compare. My most recent working experience was doing 40-45 hours per week - only 5 weeks hols per year, but once I walked out of the office at 6pm or whatever, I was done for the day. I approached Access in a similar way - studied privately or was in class morning and afternoon weekdays, doing about the same number of hours per week (inc. travel time to and from college). Any time I missed during 'office hours' I compensated for at other times, but by and large I aimed to do it all during the day from Mon-Fri.

What's the workload like in terms of hours pw for a Humanities student, or is it so variable that there's no generic right answer? I'm sure I'll figure out schedules and priorities in due time, but I'm curious.

I wasn't a mature student myself, but it's good advice to approach any degree systematically and find a study routine that works for you :smile: It would be difficult to give an overall hours per week - of course with a lot of humanities subjects it's focused on personal study so it's putting in as much time as you want. Your university should be able to give you a reasonable expectation of how many hours a week you should be studying.

At Staffs it's typically 10 - 14 hours of lectures and tutorials per week, but we'd expect students to study around 30 hours per week in total for their course. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Good tips!
Reply 6
Thank you for sharing Darren's advice! It's nice to hear from someone who has been there and done it.
I am a mature student starting my second year at university in October and so far I have absolutely loved it. It has been stressful, painstakingly exhausting (especially with a part time job and volunteering), waking up at the crack of dawn, catching the train... but I love it! I love the commitment and the reward I will get from it when I graduate :smile:

I have been a mature student for just over two years, including my access course so I am happy to give some tips!

Tip one:
Prepare for your assignment(s) as soon as you receive them! The last thing you want to do is leave them at the last minute, which can mess up your referencing, confuse your researching skills and potentially get a lower mark than you wished for. I used to start preparing for my assignments as soon as I got them, and save eBook links into a Word document. This was so that when I begin the introduction of my assignment after several more tutorials and lectures, I could refer back to the eBook links later (this tip is what gave me the A grades) :biggrin:

Tip two:
Never, ever do all nighters! Referring to tip one - you can entirely avoid this by preparing early. All nighters are destined to create a major impact on your performance, or at least diminish it altogether! It's not a nice feeling when you need match sticks to keep your eyes open or your next thing is to stock up on a pro plus because you have a lecture on the same day.

Tip three:
Reward yourself and wind down. Go for a bit of shopping, to the countryside, holiday with a Wowcher deal or go and meet up with your friends. Do not focus entirely on university. You have a life outside, too. Make sure you have some relaxing time where university and assignments aren't a major priority (again, hinting at the early preparations for your assignments!)

Tip four:
Get plenty of sleep, exercise, vitamins and drink lots of water. Keep your brain hydrated and keep your body replenished and active. Your brain will thank you for it later. You will be more intellectual and have better cognitive skills.

Tip five:
If you're unsure of something - speak to your tutor or lecturer! That is what they are there for. I used to see my tutor during his free hours if I needed any tips or help, especially relating to reports, research and statistics (the joys of Social Science)

Tip six:
If you have been invited out to a party or a club - think: is your assignment or that big report due in next couple of days, or even the day after? It's hard, and you feel like you are losing out - think how agitating would it be to focus on an assignment that's so, so close to the deadline with a terrible head splitting hangover. Once you hand it in..... then down those shots in style! :ahee:

Tip seven:
Lastly, enjoy it! University life goes so quickly. Do well, know your boundaries and you'll be absolutely fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
When exam time comes around pretend to be an invigilator in order to get a quick shuftie at the exam papers
Make frequent reference to popular music groups such as N. Dubs and Whigfield in order to reassure the younger students that you are one of their peers. Also consider buying your clothes from The Top Shop and Bhs in order that you look the part. A knapsack worn casually over one shoulder will help complete the ensemble.
Reply 10
Check your attitude with younger colleagues. Just because you're old enough to be their Mum/Dad doesn't mean you're going to be any better than them at the subject. You're all starting from the same point of knowledge. Talking to some of them later in the course, they were intimidated by my apparent confidence. I had to explain that I was as terrified as they had been, but my working life had just taught me that looking confident can help me get through difficult situations. Maybe being a bit more open with them to begin with, would have made my integration a little faster.

I found that initially the younger cohort were wary of me, imagining that I'd be judgemental and disapproving (I was 44 when I started). It took me the first year to convince them I was OK and I was just one of the bunch from the start of the second year. It was a slow start but they were all good people and so much more sorted than I'd been at their age. They're dealing with a much more complex world than I knew, and start out their adult life with the type of debts and money worries that I didn't encounter until my mid twenties. Remember that much respect is due to them.

I agee with the poster above about rewarding yourself. If you're used to a full-time job, just taking a couple of hours off to go for a walk mid-afternoon, can feel like the most ridiculous treat. Or having an occasional lie-in on a weekday when you don't have a lecture to get to. Think about how those things wouldn't be possible if you were at work - it really increases your enjoyment!

Another weird thing, is getting used to your own working patterns. Just because your previous job insisted that you worked 9-5, doesn't mean that those are your most productive hours. I never usually got going on independent things like reading lists, coursework and revision, until early afternoon. I used to beat myself up about being "lazy" until I realised (most of the way through my second year) that I was then routinely working through until 9-10pm quite comfortably - I was putting in the hours and I was consistently getting 2:1/Firsts. Find what works for you and relax about it. You are your own boss now.
Thanks Staffordshire University! Nice tips :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by andiewithanie
Make frequent reference to popular music groups such as N. Dubs and Whigfield in order to reassure the younger students that you are one of their peers. Also consider buying your clothes from The Top Shop and Bhs in order that you look the part. A knapsack worn casually over one shoulder will help complete the ensemble.

Hahahahaha!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by andiewithanie
Make frequent reference to popular music groups such as N. Dubs and Whigfield in order to reassure the younger students that you are one of their peers.

I'll try, but as Homer Simpson once said: "Why do you need new bands? Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact."
@Butterfly92xo

@Klix88

Thanks so much for sharing - this is all great advice :smile:
Having just graduated as a mature student from UCL, my tips are as follows (in no particular order):

1: Relying on uni printers is always a bad, bad idea. The system will always fall over when you need it most.
2: Get on the right side of the subject librarians and they'll point you in the direction of sources you never even considered.
3: Think outside the box when it comes to researching a topic. There's a lot more info to be found than just in your uni library (or libraries) and on JSTOR. Museums, collections, CARN, newspaper archives - whatever. It shows that you're putting in the extra effort.
4: Don't be afraid to challenge lecturers and tutors. They aren't teachers, and I found they tended to enjoy lively discussion on contentious issues.
5: Use office hours. 1:1 time with lecturers is valuable.
6: I noticed quite an "entitlement complex" amongst many of the younger students, sadly. Bite your tongue.
7: Schedule down time
8: Don't over plan. Be flexible.
9: Crack on with assignments as soon as possible. Sod's law states that if you don't, then a family disaster will strike as it comes up to the submission date leaving you little time to finish (ask me how I know this one :-/ )
Original post by Heinz the German
6: I noticed quite an "entitlement complex" amongst many of the younger students, sadly. Bite your tongue.

Thanks so much for you pointers; genuinely helpful. (And I'll quickly add that I'm not implying anyone else's contributions on this thread haven't been too. Some very useful advice on here from numerous contributors.)

Would you mind just clarifying this point (no.6)? How did this behaviour manifest itself to you and what is it in respect of?
Thanks for this. Interesting to hear some tips from those who've been though it.

No generic answer, whilst around 10-12 hours a week for a humanities first year seems to be standard at most unis, the workload varies. And another key factor is how efficiently people work, this depends entirely on you- I know some people who can spend a few days reading and then do the writing in a day or so, and get good marks, others take longer to write.
Reply 18
Would you mind just clarifying this point (no.6)? How did this behaviour manifest itself to you and what is it in respect of?

One of the most common manifestations I came across, were students being aggrieved that they had low marks or had failed coursework, on the grounds that "I'm paying for this degree!" This is largely caused by the sky-high tuition fees and Student Finance debts being incurred, which make students more consumers/customers than they used to be. Some do have the mindset that if they pay the fees, this automatically entitles them to a degree. They don't recognise the need to work for their degree, or that what they're actually paying for is the access to facilities which let them study for a degree.

Other examples were students demanding instant staff attention. A friend of mine on my undergrad uni's staff had a formal complaint made against her, when an undergrad emailed her on Friday evening and she hadn't replied by Monday morning. Staff are expected to be permanently available to undergrads, which simply isn't feasible.

There also seems to be an occasional misconception that coursework hand-in deadlines are somehow just advisory, and that staff can informally dish out extensions. The idea that there is a formal Extenuating Circumstances process, comes as a bit of a shock. I'm not sure that schools have done their students many favours in this respect - the expectation of extensions on demand seems pretty ingrained some years.

Sorry, this all sounds very negative, but it certainly doesn't cover the majority of the younger cohort. They're just growing up in a much different pre-uni education system than I knew, and sometimes it doesn't seem to have prepared them very well for uni study.
Original post by Klix88
One of the most common manifestations I came across, were students being aggrieved that they had low marks or had failed coursework, on the grounds that "I'm paying for this degree!" This is largely caused by the sky-high tuition fees and Student Finance debts being incurred, which make students more consumers/customers than they used to be. Some do have the mindset that if they pay the fees, this automatically entitles them to a degree. They don't recognise the need to work for their degree, or that what they're actually paying for is the access to facilities which let them study for a degree.

Thanks for your response (I'm wondering if it corresponds to what the other poster was alluding to). I suppose modern university students are more of a consumer than students were in the "old days". I see this as a subset of the concept of one's general rights and responsibilities as a member of society as a whole. I guess if they haven't had any guidance on that, they're going to struggle with the idea. Having said that, in my mind, the fact that the lecturers are lecturers (i.e. they're studied to a high level, and have been deemed worthy of a faculty (Americanism?) place by their experienced peers), while not making them above reproach, does entitle them to a fair amount of respect from their students, particularly those who've just rolled in after sitting a few A-Levels.

(The other thing that occurs to me is that if some of the younger students think that university is unfair, they're in for a shock when they get out into the real world! I don't suppose expressing that sentiment will win me any friends at uni, though.)

During Access this last year, I considered deadlines to be non-negotiable. I don't believe there was a formal process for extensions (afaik, it was done at the tutor's discretion), but equally I don't think they were dished out willy-nilly. Admittedly, that's a reflection of the way a college implements the course, rather than an inherent feature, but it does suggest that the deadline discipline is another reason why Access is excellent prep for uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending