The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by metellaest
Ah okay :smile: but I'd appreciate any recommendations on the maths side provided they're not overly technical if you have any?

I'm planning to read 'Alex's adventures in numberland' by Alex Bellos and '50 mathematical ideas you really need to know' by Tony Crilly. They were recommended to me by a sixth form I applied to, so I don't think it should too technical :biggrin:
Great - I'll check those out :smile:

Have you thought about what college you might apply for?
Reply 42
Great - I'll check those out :smile:

Have you thought about what college you might apply for?

If I apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford, I may obviously change my mind, but I'm thinking about Trinity College, since it's quite nice... and Isaac Newton went there:tongue: What about you?
Original post by kennethdcharles
If I apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford, I may obviously change my mind, but I'm thinking about Trinity College, since it's quite nice... and Isaac Newton went there:tongue: What about you?

Not entirely sure - I have only been inside Emmanuel (which was very nice) so I've only seen the outside of the others... I'm going to wait and see until after I've been to a few more :smile: I really would like to be in a college near the centre though...
Reply 44
Not entirely sure - I have only been inside Emmanuel (which was very nice) so I've only seen the outside of the others... I'm going to wait and see until after I've been to a few more :smile: I really would like to be in a college near the centre though...

Yep, I'd make my firm decision after going to the open days next year. Tbh although I will choose one, I wouldn't mind any, Cambridge is Cambridge! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yep, I'd make my firm decision after going to the open days next year. Tbh although I will choose one, I wouldn't mind any, Cambridge is Cambridge! :biggrin:

Oh no definitely - an offer through the Winter Pool would be just as amazing! I just figure you might as well put down the one you like the most... (Though my mum thinks I should make an open application...)
Reply 46
Oh no definitely - an offer through the Winter Pool would be just as amazing! I just figure you might as well put down the one you like the most... (Though my mum thinks I should make an open application...)

I agree. I used to think open applications were better, until I realised it does not affect your chances either way, since they can give you an offer at another college with space etc.
I agree. I used to think open applications were better, until I realised it does not affect your chances either way, since they can give you an offer at another college with space etc.

Definitely. I don't see the point in limiting your preferred option from the beginning when in the end it shouldn't matter... Everywhere in Cambridge looks incredible anyway :smile:
Wow guys!!

So early haha

Good luck with your GCSEs
I figure this summer (after the exams finish) is a pretty good time to really get on with 'reading around the subject.' Does anyone know of any good books relating to the biological side of Natural Sciences that I should try?

I applied for Bio NatSci and one book I found amazingly useful (helped so much with my interviews and my A Level work) is 'How We Live and Why We Die: The Secret Lives of Cells' by Lewis Wolpert. Honestly, I'm so glad I forced myself to read it hah
Original post by Serine Soul
I applied for Bio NatSci and one book I found amazingly useful (helped so much with my interviews and my A Level work) is 'How We Live and Why We Die: The Secret Lives of Cells' by Lewis Wolpert. Honestly, I'm so glad I forced myself to read it hah

Great - thank you! I'll definitely check that out :smile: how were your interviews?
Does anybody have any ideas on in-depth books about history, politics and philosophy?

Spoiler

Great - thank you! I'll definitely check that out :smile: how were your interviews?

I'd say average. Some good parts, some bad. I also had a little test which seemed decent! :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Banana00
Does anybody have any ideas on in-depth books about history, politics and philosophy?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by jneill

Spoiler

:frown::frown: Okay, thanks.
Reply 55
Original post by Banana00
:frown::frown: Okay, thanks.

Actually... http://www.cuac.org.uk/trinity-great-court-run

If you know about Chariots of Fire, the article says Burghley wasn't at Trinity so there's hope for you :wink:.

It doesn't say if a woman has ever completed it successfully.
(edited 7 years ago)
I figure this summer (after the exams finish) is a pretty good time to really get on with 'reading around the subject.' Does anyone know of any good books relating to the biological side of Natural Sciences that I should try?

The rise and fall of the third chimpanzee by Jared Diamond...it was really interesting!
Great thank you! I'll check that out :smile: which colleges are you interested in?
Great thank you! I'll check that out :smile: which colleges are you interested in?

Not sure yet tbh! Plenty of time to go and visit and decide though. :biggrin:
Original post by chocolatefrog354
Not sure yet tbh! Plenty of time to go and visit and decide though. :biggrin:

Definitely - still got to get past the first hurdle of GCSEs! *cries* Best of luck for any you have left :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending