The Student Room Group

Advice needed- worried about university

Hello,

I am starting university in 3 weeks and am starting to get very nervous. I will be a 5 hour journey away from my family ( i know its not that far in perspective but i have a really close family and rely on them quite alot) , and am not very good at starting new things and being put into new situations out of my comfort zone!
I get very anxious and am trying to not think about all the people, work and being away from home , but am just getting more and more nervous.

Can anyone please offer me advice !! Thank you
Hey there,

What you have to remember is that everyone is in the same boat as you. A lot of people will have never been away from home for any long length of time, and some do struggle with this. My best piece of advice is to be open and friendly when you arrive and get involved with as much as you can. This will keep you occupied and soon youll settle in, and feel at home. Take some things that will make your new room feel like home, and dont let your family stay for too long, just get stuck right in. You can probably already buy tickets to the freshers nights out - do this - even if its not your thing its a great way to get to know people.

Dont forget that with things like skype its almost as good as being with that person now. And also it can help to have your next trip home planned - then you can be counting down to it - but I wouldnt go home too much - it can just be harder for you.

My final piece of advice is to enjoy your holidays before you start uni - spend some time with your family, and learn to cook a few meals if you cant already.
Original post by Asdfghjkl123321
Hello,

I am starting university in 3 weeks and am starting to get very nervous. I will be a 5 hour journey away from my family ( i know its not that far in perspective but i have a really close family and rely on them quite alot) , and am not very good at starting new things and being put into new situations out of my comfort zone!
I get very anxious and am trying to not think about all the people, work and being away from home , but am just getting more and more nervous.

Can anyone please offer me advice !! Thank you

As an only child, my parents were my best friends, my siblings, and my parents all in one. I used to cry on school trips for more than a few days away from them, and was very clingy.

I only moved half an hour away from them to university, deciding to live in halls because I knew I needed to come out of my shell and be far more independent.

The day I moved into my halls, I cried. But the next time I cried was about 6 months later! When you first move in and your parents leave, you will feel awful, but there is so much going on around you from the day after onwards that you won't have time to be sad. You will have offers, adverts, societies, events, timetables and everything else university-related thrown at you in the first few weeks. If you're anything like me, your parents will be calling to check up on you 3 weeks later because you've been too busy to report back yourself!

The most important thing to remember here is that deep down everyone else you come across is just as nervous as you are, whether they show it or not. I promise you that your confidence will develop an awful lot over the coming years, and you'll kick yourself for not taking any opportunities handed to you.
Original post by carrotstar
As an only child, my parents were my best friends, my siblings, and my parents all in one. I used to cry on school trips for more than a few days away from them, and was very clingy.

I only moved half an hour away from them to university, deciding to live in halls because I knew I needed to come out of my shell and be far more independent.

The day I moved into my halls, I cried. But the next time I cried was about 6 months later! When you first move in and your parents leave, you will feel awful, but there is so much going on around you from the day after onwards that you won't have time to be sad. You will have offers, adverts, societies, events, timetables and everything else university-related thrown at you in the first few weeks. If you're anything like me, your parents will be calling to check up on you 3 weeks later because you've been too busy to report back yourself!

The most important thing to remember here is that deep down everyone else you come across is just as nervous as you are, whether they show it or not. I promise you that your confidence will develop an awful lot over the coming years, and you'll kick yourself for not taking any opportunities handed to you.

Thank you so so much, this has really helped me and I appreciate it so much. Thank you!!
Original post by littlemissmidget123
Hey there,

What you have to remember is that everyone is in the same boat as you. A lot of people will have never been away from home for any long length of time, and some do struggle with this. My best piece of advice is to be open and friendly when you arrive and get involved with as much as you can. This will keep you occupied and soon youll settle in, and feel at home. Take some things that will make your new room feel like home, and dont let your family stay for too long, just get stuck right in. You can probably already buy tickets to the freshers nights out - do this - even if its not your thing its a great way to get to know people.

Dont forget that with things like skype its almost as good as being with that person now. And also it can help to have your next trip home planned - then you can be counting down to it - but I wouldnt go home too much - it can just be harder for you.

My final piece of advice is to enjoy your holidays before you start uni - spend some time with your family, and learn to cook a few meals if you cant already.

Thank you so so much, very good advice and I am feeling much more confident and not so nervous, thank you so much for your help!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending