The Student Room Group

A2 Level Chemistry or Geography

Hi, I'm unsure whether I should carry on with A Level Chemistry or Geography in Year 13. In my AS Levels I got 274/300 in Chem (91%), individually Ch1; 106/120, Ch2; 113/120, CH3; 55,60. And in Geography I got 176/200 (88%) where individually I got G1; 76/100 and G2; 100/100.
So on paper Chemistry is slightly better than Geography but I don't understand how I can get such varying marks in Geography when I didn't have a preference between the units and put as much work into both!

I want to do maths at uni (Cambridge hopefully) and I like Chem and geography as much as each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Chemistry is extremely difficult and requires a lot of effort and commitment. I found Geography much more enjoyable because it was much more laid-back and more interesting. Just do whatever you're happier with and more confident in. :smile:
i find geography easier too...but my marks don't reflect that aha! is chem a2 that much harder than as? because the jump form gcse to as is massive
Original post by matthewdjones
i find geography easier too...but my marks don't reflect that aha! is chem a2 that much harder than as? because the jump form gcse to as is massive

Honestly the jump between AS and A2 is much smaller than that of GCSE to AS. At A2 you kind of just improve on knowledge that you previously learnt - especially in Chemistry. The structure of Chemistry exams remains the same, whereas in Geography you begin writing 40 mark essays and there are more complex case studies to learn depending on the topics you choose. So what I would say is that if essay writing is not your forte then Chemistry may be looking like a viable option.
Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by matthewdjones

I didn't really find A2 chem any harder than AS, and a lot of people I know said they found it easier. I got 257/300 at AS and 263/300 at A2.
Thankyou both I think I will carry on with Chemistry :smile:
Reply 6
i did both at A2 but personally found that both were a big step up from AS to A2. I found geography easier than chemistry but always have, however the 40 mark essays mean so much has to be learnt whereas chemistry is less revision. I found chemistry easier to revise as you can do past papers and learn actual things, whereas geography is just learning facts for case studies. Just go with the one you prefer or find easier as both good a levels. Also choose the one where you have a better/nicer teacher as i found teachers had a massive effect on how hard i was willing to work and how much i enjoyed the subject

Quick Reply

Latest