The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate or not?

I'm currently attending an upper secondary school in Norway, considered the best in my area. After this year, I'm considering IB. However, my school doesn't offer it (though I can obviously switch to another).

From what I've seen so far, the quality of the school which offers IB is not a problem at all. However, I'm not sure if it'd be the best choice, considering that I'm trying to pursue IT (specifically programming), and the school in question, apparently, doesn't offer the Computer Science subject of Group 5 of the IB DP hexagon. My current school will offer IT next year (programming, databases and the like), but after reading up on IB, it seems that IB offers much better and more extensive study on mathematics, physics and most other subjects than 'regular' school.

Thus, I'm wondering, considering my wish to pursue programming, would it be more beneficial to choose IB and then do some self-schooling on computer science (possibly even doing private courses), or continuing at my current school and ensuring that I get official study in IT?

I've tried asking advisors at my school, but their knowledge about IB is minimal, so I'm asking here.

Thanks for any replies.
Reply 1
The IB is a very demanding curriculum and also expects you to do a lot on your own accord. You would not only have to do the subjects (by the way, maths Higher Level is VERY demanding), but also CAS.
I guess looking in this forum might help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10
Reply 2
Leisure17
The IB is a very demanding curriculum and also expects you to do a lot on your own accord. You would not only have to do the subjects (by the way, maths Higher Level is VERY demanding), but also CAS.
I guess looking in this forum might help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=10

I think individual study would fit me fairly well, since I prefer that to traditional group study in large classes.

I'm also fairly interested in maths (I have to be, since I'm trying to pursue programming, which is tightly tied up to maths), and I find the regular mathematics taught here inadequate (Norway's below average in maths amongst the wealthy countries, I believe), and a challenging maths course is something with which I'll happily cope.

However, I'm wondering about this Extended Essay part of IB. Descriptions tell me that students write an essay of up to 4,000 words, but are very vague on the actual subject--or whatever it is. Could anyone clarify?
Reply 3
UnKnown X

However, I'm wondering about this Extended Essay part of IB. Descriptions tell me that students write an essay of up to 4,000 words, but are very vague on the actual subject--or whatever it is. Could anyone clarify?

As I said, have a look at the above forum, a lot of students doing IB are on that. You could also look up the organisation of IB.
You more or less pick your own subject, I guess it might even be something in maths, but I know it can be something in physics, some sort of research which is then described.
Reply 4
For what it's worth, I often wish I'd gone to college to do the IB rather than staying in school for A Levels.
Reply 5
UnKnown X

You can write EE in any IB subject you want, although it is recommended if it is in a subject you are actually studying. I am doing mine in Maths.

Really if you want more response from **********s this thread should be moved to the IB subforum.

I guess you are in the same situation as I was a few years ago when chosing IB rather than the national Swedish system, and that was purely because the Swedish courses I don't find demanding enough.

EDIT: Why on Earth does "IBstudents" get censored???
Reply 6
Nearly all paths are pointing to IB for me, right now, though I'm still a bit uncertain about the lack of IT. Will I be able to do an IT course later in higher studies if I don't take one in the IB school? There's only a handful of local schools that offer IB, and none of them have computing. That's the only thing holding me back.
Reply 7
I want to do the IB but the only place anywhere near me is a fee-paying all boys school. :rolleyes:

/pointlessness
Reply 8
UnKnown X
Nearly all paths are pointing to IB for me, right now, though I'm still a bit uncertain about the lack of IT. Will I be able to do an IT course later in higher studies if I don't take one in the IB school? There's only a handful of local schools that offer IB, and none of them have computing. That's the only thing holding me back.

Looking at CompSci applicants for uni not everyone has studied CompSci at IB/A-levels, so yes it is possible. Especially if you are interested in it anyway, and do some coding etc.
Also, you should be allowed by the school to self-teach, even though I don't recommend it as it is hard.
Reply 9
All right, thanks. I don't think self-schooling would be too bad an option for me.

After all, I already do know practically the entire curriculum for next year's computer science at my current school, so I'm well on my way programming-wise.
I don't know about the rest of you but my schedule of course is rigoruous but i still have time to enjoy myself. IB i dont think is at all that time consuming just so long as you know how to manage your time well. but here in the states as well as all over the world IB students are highly looked upon. at colleges here you can get college credit [ i dunno about other places] and thats one positive aspect of the entire IB regime. i wish my school would offer more IB courses [ones that i might actually like to take] but alas that's what comes from all my courses being free. [ beggars can't be choosers]. and so even though IB might not offer the course that you WOULD like to take the experience is great if you are thinking about pursuing your education futher [which if your not, and you're in IB, you need to be placed in a padded room :P]
From my personal experience - avoid the IB at all costs! My school is considered to be one of the best in the Uk (lol at least I was told so) and my teachers are all great but honestly I'm wasting half of my time doing subjects I don't need! I'm going to do PPE but still I have to do biology and russian. And also this stupid CAS ("creativity, action, service" - 150 hours of activities), Theory of Knowledge and extended essay... Ok, I found TOK quite useful because I could mention philosophy in my personal statement but bother doing it when you're applying for maths?.. Some may find the 'breadth' of the course appealing but personally I feel like it's been a complete waste of 2 years.
well i'm not too worried about CAS hours. i've got all my action hours completed thru marching band. [did you know that if you're in an extra curricular activity that counts?] fyi just in case. but yeah my school keeps us constantly in volunteer hours. everytime i turn around they're asking for people to do this and for people to do that. i really should sit down and figure out all my hours but i'm just sooooooo lazy i procrastinate ALOT.

but don't be discouraged. it's still a good experience. i would much rather go to a school that would be "recommended" for IB than to be a "washed" up school in the newspapers. but if i still get the same [experience] almost i guess you could say, and it's no cost to me [besides my time] why shouldnt someone go for it? it looks hella good on applications for colleges.

Latest