The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
Sliding my way in here as i was mentioned...

It is true, at AS i took biology, chemistry, maths and geography, and i hated maths!! At AS i got AAAB with the B in maths so i dropped it and got an offer with my third A2 being geography.

My advice would be to pick the third subject that your most likely to get the A in as that is all you need, dont just carry on a subject for prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your reply :smile: I'm definitely going to continue with English Language as it's a subject that I feel far more confident in!

If you drop your fourth AS subject, do they care whether it's a A or a C? I've been wondering this for ages haha and I've heard debates on it, but never an answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
Thank you very much for your reply :smile: I'm definitely going to continue with English Language as it's a subject that I feel far more confident in!

If you drop your fourth AS subject, do they care whether it's a A or a C? I've been wondering this for ages haha and I've heard debates on it, but never an answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The offer from Cardiff is AAAc so you only need a C grade at AS in the 4th subject. Obviously Cardiff is only 1 out of the 4 places your applying to and some med schools want a B in the 4th AS (e.g Liverpool). So be sure to do your research thoroughly before applying.
Original post by emem2011

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously the higher the AS grade the better, but cardiff want a minimum of a grade C in the 4th AS, so if it is a C you have met the criteria and you are fine to apply!

good luck!
Ah ok thank you both! I've literally been wondering this for the last couple of years, since I started looking at different universities and it's been playing on my mind as I didn't understand it🙈 thank you again :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys I'm thinking of applying to study medicine in Cardiff. I scored a 2750 on the UKCAT and got AAAB/AABB for my AS exams this year. Are these scores good enough for application to Cardiff university? Also, I took the GCE O Levels instead of GCSE or IGCSE. I took 9 O Level subjects and got 6 A2s and 3 B3s. Do you think my grades are good enough? Thanks!
Original post by rachel_roar
Hey guys I'm thinking of applying to study medicine in Cardiff. I scored a 2750 on the UKCAT and got AAAB/AABB for my AS exams this year. Are these scores good enough for application to Cardiff university? Also, I took the GCE O Levels instead of GCSE or IGCSE. I took 9 O Level subjects and got 6 A2s and 3 B3s. Do you think my grades are good enough? Thanks!

I would email cardiff about your GCE O levels as they are a non-traditional qualification and thus I dont know where you stand.

Cardiff dont look at your UKCAT unless they are struggling to decide between you and another candidate after interview, so pre-interview it is not used. they use a mixture of GCSE grades (so your GCE O Levels) and personal statement, so you will need great work experience, voluntary work and extra curriculars to stand out!
I would email cardiff about your GCE O levels as they are a non-traditional qualification and thus I dont know where you stand.

Cardiff dont look at your UKCAT unless they are struggling to decide between you and another candidate after interview, so pre-interview it is not used. they use a mixture of GCSE grades (so your GCE O Levels) and personal statement, so you will need great work experience, voluntary work and extra curriculars to stand out!

I see, alright! Thank you! I just have one more question - do you know if Cardiff uses the system-based or subject-based teaching?
I see, alright! Thank you! I just have one more question - do you know if Cardiff uses the system-based or subject-based teaching?

Cardiff uses case based learning... so at the beginning of the week you are given a case, and by the end you will have learnt all about it!

Looking at the timetable you seem to spend the year going through age groups, so you will do a module on mother and baby, then one on young people, then one on the elderly, and in each of these you will learn about all different systems! - I dont really know much as I havent started yet but that Is my idea, whether it is still the same I do not know.
Cardiff uses case based learning... so at the beginning of the week you are given a case, and by the end you will have learnt all about it!

Looking at the timetable you seem to spend the year going through age groups, so you will do a module on mother and baby, then one on young people, then one on the elderly, and in each of these you will learn about all different systems! - I dont really know much as I havent started yet but that Is my idea, whether it is still the same I do not know.

Ah, alright! That sounds very interesting... Hahaha I'll probably enjoy studying in Cardiff. Thank you for your help! :smile:
Yo guys I'm kinda confused about whether Cardiff can use one of your GCSE resits in your scoring?

http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/media/filer_public/ef/a2/efa2a6b8-7815-4bfd-9f7e-95846df112b8/admissions_policy_2015-16.pdf
On the top of page 18 of this document it says those taken in first sitting will be taken into account

http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/undergraduate/admissions/frequently-asked-questions/
Number 8 on the FAQs says they accept certified GCSE resit results but only if completed within 12 months of the first sitting.

So what is it? And they haven't replied to emails for more than a week now.
Original post by Jonnyss
Yo guys I'm kinda confused about whether Cardiff can use one of your GCSE resits in your scoring?

http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/media/filer_public/ef/a2/efa2a6b8-7815-4bfd-9f7e-95846df112b8/admissions_policy_2015-16.pdf
On the top of page 18 of this document it says those taken in first sitting will be taken into account

http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/undergraduate/admissions/frequently-asked-questions/
Number 8 on the FAQs says they accept certified GCSE resit results but only if completed within 12 months of the first sitting.

A week? :K They usually reply within a few days. Maybe they're busy preparing for the imminent opening of the 2016 admissions cycle for medicine...

I wondered about that too, actually. I'd only seen the FAQs but the admissions document is pretty unambiguous. You can only wait for what the admissions team replies with. :3 Let me know what they say on this thread! :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
A week? :K They usually reply within a few days. Maybe they're busy preparing for the imminent opening of the 2016 admissions cycle for medicine...

I wondered about that too, actually. I'd only seen the FAQs but the admissions document is pretty unambiguous. You can only wait for what the admissions team replies with. :3 Let me know what they say on this thread! :smile:

The admissions team are also very busy with preparations for the 2015 admissions to start, as it is only 3 weeks away now and there are some formalities that remain.

Just hang on in there and they will get to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jonnyss

Hi :smile:
I hadn't even noticed that :O although I did look at http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/medical-education/undergraduate/admissions/entry-requirements/ and if you look under the subheading 'applicants who have applied by the October 2014 deadline' it says that the admissions policy is only relevant for people who have applied in 2014 for 2015/6 and 2016/7 entry. So does that mean that it doesn't apply to everyone?

Also if you look at the document in detail it talks about the deadline being the 15th of October 2014, and also 'Medicine 2015 entry'.

I'm not sure so hopefully Cardiff will come back to you, although that's what it seems like to me. I could be wrong though. Let me know what you think! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, how do you calculate your score out of 27?
And how many places are there for non-EU students? Is it 25?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, how do you calculate your score out of 27?
And how many places are there for non-EU students? Is it 25?

Not sure about the last bit...

But to calculate your GCSE scores you use your 9 best GCSEs, and this must include english lang, maths and the thee sciences even if their not your best grades.

An A*= 3 and A= 2 and a B=1

If you dont do GCSEs its not as straightforward and you must email cardiff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
Cardiff doesn't use the UKCAT except in tie-breaker situations when they've got two very similar candidates competing for a place. Cardiff is generally considered to be a GCSE-heavy medical school so if you've got the GCSEs, you can apply there safe in the knowledge that it's very unlikely that they'll even look at your UKCAT score (I think somebody on last year's Cardiff application thread mentioned that they looked at ~10 people's UKCAT scores the year before that and that's out of over 3 000 applicants).

Thank you, that was very helpful!
Do Cardiff accept module resits within the two years?
Original post by kdizzle97
Do Cardiff accept module resits within the two years?

Yes they do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lostalltime
Hey, based on the GCSE scoring system my points come up to 23/27. Would it be risky to apply to Cardiff? Can I just make up my lost points by my personal statement?

This year that is possible, but i cannot see the standard of applicants coming to interview falling to much in terms of GCSE points, i would say this year a score of 24/27 is competative, but i really dont know what the personal statement will do to the cutoff, which was 26/27 last year!!

Honestly its your choice, but it is slightly risky!

Applicants who apply here usually have very high GCSE grades because they know its such a GCSE heavy school, so i dont know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This year that is possible, but i cannot see the standard of applicants coming to interview falling to much in terms of GCSE points, i would say this year a score of 24/27 is competative, but i really dont know what the personal statement will do to the cutoff, which was 26/27 last year!!

Honestly its your choice, but it is slightly risky!

Applicants who apply here usually have very high GCSE grades because they know its such a GCSE heavy school, so i dont know!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would they take the fact that I live in a Economic- Socio disadvantage into consideration based on my gcse scores.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending