The Student Room Group

Cardiff Medical School Applicants 2016

It's coming to that time of year again where students have received their results and are looking into their options when it comes to UCAS applications. So I thought I'd get this thread up and running so potential applicants can discuss anything Cardiff related and it also gives people the opportunity to ask current Cardiff University medical students anything they want to know about life at the medical school. There are a few of us about, varying from freshers and second years to students like myself who are in their final year.

Links
I shall include some useful links here. Including to the previous year's applicants thread. As you will notice last year's thread was created by someone who is much more organised and creative than myself hence why that one has an intro which is so much more informative.

2014 thread

Admissions policy

A video introducing the new curriculum which was introduced for the current second years.

Here is the student handbook which talks through the components of the course in more detail

A charming video from Stephen Fry explaining why Cardiff University is awesome

You may also be surprised to hear Cardiff University is currently ranked as the 3rd best medical school in the country according to The Complete University Guide

I think that covers the bases for now. As I mentioned before, there a few current students using TSR so any questions you have should be answered pretty quickly.

Good luck with your applications :smile:

Futuremedic19, who is a first year medical student at Cardiff, has been kind enough to create some very detailed posts regarding interviews which you can find here and here.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone, I'm going to be a medical student here in September so if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
I would definitely recommend applying to Cardiff. The medical admissions team are incredibly friendly and Cardiff itself is a lovely place to study.

Good luck everyone :smile: !!!
Original post by futuremedic19
Hello everyone, I'm going to be a medical student here in September so if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
I would definitely recommend applying to Cardiff. The medical admissions team are incredibly friendly and Cardiff itself is a lovely place to study.

Good luck everyone :smile: !!!

I ditto this as i am also starting in September!!

To all of us applicants the admissions process is so fresh in our heads, we can answer any questions relating to that!!

Cardiff is an amazing uni, and as stated above admissions are so friendly and welcoming.

Any questions, just fire away!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thinking of applying to Cardiff - doing A levels in Biology Chemistry and History. Got ten A* at GCSE. Just wondering what your A levels were and whether you did Maths as am starting to worry I won't get an interview if I'm not doing Maths A2 Also some other questions - what sort of work experience did you have and how were your interviews?

Many thanks
Original post by portia31
Thinking of applying to Cardiff - doing A levels in Biology Chemistry and History. Got ten A* at GCSE. Just wondering what your A levels were and whether you did Maths as am starting to worry I won't get an interview if I'm not doing Maths A2 Also some other questions - what sort of work experience did you have and how were your interviews?

Many thanks

Hi!! Your GCSE profile of 10A*s will mean you get the highest academic score and this puts you in a strong position for interview.

I did biology, chemistry and geography, and i can honestly say as long as you have three alevels including hemistru and biology at AAA or above the third subject doesnt really matter and can be anything, having maths is not in any eay advantagous.

Upon applying i had volunteered for 12 weeks in a hospital and had done 1 week of shadowing consultants at the christie cancer hospital. Its not about quantity, yet quality and you must be able to find something you learnt from your experiences... Whether good or bad.

My interview was great. I had a few generic why cardiff/why medicine questions, and then got grilled on my personal statement (so know it inside out) as well as the current medical news. I found the interviewers really pushed me to try and answer questions and their questions were very well thought out. They are interested in how you think and how you will cope as a medical student and doctor. I would also recommend having some up to date knowledge of the NHS as it shows you care about the organisation you will work for. My advice also is make sure you can argue/back up everything you say as thats what thy are looking for!!

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks that is great and really helpful. Good luck with the course...
Original post by portia31
Thanks that is great and really helpful. Good luck with the course...

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey guys, thinking of applying to Cardiff, I have 6A* and 1A at GCSE O-Level and have achieved A*AA at A-Levels. Would it be advisable to apply as I only have 7 GCSEs ? My previous school permitted 7 GCSEs. I would love to go to Cardiff.
Original post by nigeldt
Hey guys, thinking of applying to Cardiff, I have 6A* and 1A at GCSE O-Level and have achieved A*AA at A-Levels. Would it be advisable to apply as I only have 7 GCSEs ? My previous school permitted 7 GCSEs. I would love to go to Cardiff.

Considering you only have 7 GCSE's they are very high grades, also cardiff usually add on points for having achieved A2 grades.

I would email cardiff medical school admissions just to be 100% clear, ideally a score of 24 or over is a minimum, but this year they are using the personal statement so it could be lower.

with you GCSE grades you would score 20/27, but email them and ask them if having your achieved A2 grades could up this, and by how much.

I honestly wouldnt reccomend applying with below 24/27 points, last year the cut off was 25/26 points, but I think grading personal statements this year will bring this score down.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Considering you only have 7 GCSE's they are very high grades, also cardiff usually add on points for having achieved A2 grades.

I would email cardiff medical school admissions just to be 100% clear, ideally a score of 24 or over is a minimum, but this year they are using the personal statement so it could be lower.

with you GCSE grades you would score 20/27, but email them and ask them if having your achieved A2 grades could up this, and by how much.

I honestly wouldnt reccomend applying with below 24/27 points, last year the cut off was 25/26 points, but I think grading personal statements this year will bring this score down.

To add to your point about the cut off. I was really worried about this when I applied and one thing I have learnt is that Cardiff use no strict rigid cut off score.

I asked medical admissions what the cut off was this year and they said it was 26 and for 2014 entry it was 26 as well however this is NOT entirely true I know people who got interviews including myself with 25 and 24 and NO contextual flags.

I think what they do is if you score highly enough but your borderline to the cutoff then what the admissions team do is grade and really focus on your PS/School references to decide whether you get an interview.
Once your at interview, the interview decides who gets the place and hence people with straight A*s often get rejected.
To add to your point about the cut off. I was really worried about this when I applied and one thing I have learnt is that Cardiff use no strict rigid cut off score.

I asked medical admissions what the cut off was this year and they said it was 26 and for 2014 entry it was 26 as well however this is NOT entirely true I know people who got interviews including myself with 25 and 24 and NO contextual flags.

I think what they do is if you score highly enough but your borderline to the cutoff then what the admissions team do is grade and really focus on your PS/School references to decide whether you get an interview.
Once your at interview, the interview decides who gets the place and hence people with straight A*s often get rejected.

This was true for our year of entry, if you didnt meet the cutoff score but were close your personal statement was graded and the best ones got interviews.

This year you get both a GCSE score and everyones personal statements get graded, this score is then combined to make a proper cut off. Thus we cannot tell this year what a the cut off will be, or what the standards will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
This was true for our year of entry, if you didnt meet the cutoff score but were close your personal statement was graded and the best ones got interviews.

This year you get both a GCSE score and everyones personal statements get graded, this score is then combined to make a proper cut off. Thus we cannot tell this year what a the cut off will be, or what the standards will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool and that's how it should work to be honest, but where did you get this information from ?
Cool and that's how it should work to be honest, but where did you get this information from ?

From the 2016/2017 admissions document.

I also heard this from others as well.

I do agree with this, its just the first year of a new style admissions process makes it very hard to judge what will meet the cut for an interview and what wont.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How will the UKCAT score be used this year? Also will the SJT band be used?
Is it possible to get into Cardiff with 4 A*s 4As and 2Bs as majority of people who Cardiff pick have very very good GCSE results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 543216789
Is it possible to get into Cardiff with 4 A*s 4As and 2Bs as majority of people who Cardiff pick have very very good GCSE results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your two Bs in? Cardiff has a scoring system for the academic side of the application where they score your best nine GCSEs (exception: they will always include English, science and maths GCSEs in this so might not be your best nine) out of 27, giving you 3 points for an A*, 2 points for an A and 1 point for a B. They then calculate a cut-off score for that application cycle.

Unfortunately in a best case scenario your score comes to 21/27 and it's usually risky applying with anything less than 23/24. You may want to email Cardiff about it because I think as a general guide they say you should have around 5 A*s so you're a borderline case.

Also, the cut-offs in the last two application cycles have been set at a high 26/27 so apparently from this year onward they'll place more emphasis on personal statements than they have in previous years so you could compensate for a lower than average academic score. I advise that you email them directly as well. :smile:
Original post by bumblebee12
How will the UKCAT score be used this year? Also will the SJT band be used?

Cardiff doesn't use the UKCAT except in tie-breaker situations when they've got two very similar candidates competing for a place. Cardiff is generally considered to be a GCSE-heavy medical school so if you've got the GCSEs, you can apply there safe in the knowledge that it's very unlikely that they'll even look at your UKCAT score (I think somebody on last year's Cardiff application thread mentioned that they looked at ~10 people's UKCAT scores the year before that and that's out of over 3 000 applicants).
I just wanna thank you guys in advance for taking the time to answer questions. :smile:

Is 26 points from GCSEs competitive for an international student?

And also do Cardiff like extra A levels and A* predictions at A2? Like will it give me any advantage in my application? Cuz I know some unis like Leeds and Nottingham don't care about extra A levels at all.
Original post by Hydeman
What were your two Bs in? Cardiff has a scoring system for the academic side of the application where they score your best nine GCSEs (exception: they will always include English, science and maths GCSEs in this so might not be your best nine) out of 27, giving you 3 points for an A*, 2 points for an A and 1 point for a B. They then calculate a cut-off score for that application cycle.

Unfortunately in a best case scenario your score comes to 21/27 and it's usually risky applying with anything less than 23/24. You may want to email Cardiff about it because I think as a general guide they say you should have around 5 A*s so you're a borderline case.

Also, the cut-offs in the last two application cycles have been set at a high 26/27 so apparently from this year onward they'll place more emphasis on personal statements than they have in previous years so you could compensate for a lower than average academic score. I advise that you email them directly as well. :smile:

Thank you! My Bs were in physics and geography if that helps. Biology-A chemistry-A* maths-A English language-A* English lit-A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jonnyss
I just wanna thank you guys in advance for taking the time to answer questions. :smile:

Is 26 points from GCSEs competitive for an international student?

And also do Cardiff like extra A levels and A* predictions at A2? Like will it give me any advantage in my application? Cuz I know some unis like Leeds and Nottingham don't care about extra A levels at all.

The cut-off for the last two years has been 26 and even the admissions tutors admit that is unusually high so they're putting more emphasis on the personal statement from this year onward so the cut-off might decrease next year; I certainly can't see it going up. If it rises to 27, people might as well be applying to Oxford.

The School of Medicine's website specifically states that a fourth A-level will not give applicants an advantage when applying so, unless you can handle it and enjoy it, there's no point retaining your fourth subject as far as Cardiff is concerned. Not sure whether getting higher prediction than the AAA requirement would be advantageous though.

With regards to international students, I'm not sure if the application process is quite the same as they normally reserve a small number of places for international students and there's a government cap on it so it's highly competitive. You should email them directly at medadmissions.cardiff.ac.uk for more information. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending