The Student Room Group

Sergio Aguero vs Luis Suarez

I made a similar thread to this - and many people said that Suarez is the only comparable to Aguero.
So without any further ado - who is better (in top form) Aguero or Suarez
image.jpg
Reply 1
Suarez. Next.
Suarez. Both great at club level but Luisito turns up for his country when it matters.

Only half fit last year in WC still pissed all over England.

EDIT: WHAT IS WITH THESE THREADS.
Original post by Mackay
Suarez. Next.

Close the thread.
Reply 4
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Close the thread.

No point doing that, mate. We'll have a 'Diego Costa vs. Olivier Giroud' one within the hour.
suarez is the best striker I've seen in my lifetime. his last season for liverpool was unreal. the amazing hattrick against norwich was the pinnacle
Original post by sqwertylol
suarez is the best striker I've seen in my lifetime. his last season for liverpool was unreal. the amazing hattrick against norwich was the pinnacle

Are you like two years old? At least pick a player who turned up in big games that season :rolleyes:

I don't think it's as clear cut as people make out. Aguero is also unstoppable on top form. Plus we all know his goalscoring record per minute is the best in PL history and his record in big games is incredible.

It's not that easy.
(edited 8 years ago)
suarez is the best striker I've seen in my lifetime.

How old are you?

Wizard - wizard :biggrin:
Original post by little_wizard123
Are you like two years old? At least pick a player who turned up in big games that season :rolleyes:

are you forreal? have you seen that hattrick? he dragged liverpool to almost win the premier league. in big games yeah he wasn't as good but I'd say thats because against good teams liverpool overall struggled because their team wasn't actually very good. just had suarez and a few others who could attack. he got the joint top scorer for premier league for all time and only played 30 games lmao.
anyway playin for barca he has shown he can play against top teams. was sick against bayern setting up the goals
Diego Costa or Lewandowski?
Original post by Wilfred Little
How old are you?

Wizard - wizard :biggrin:

19 bruh. I can only think maybe henry was better but I was too young to watch him hence lifetime.

I don't think it's as clear cut as people make out. Aguero is also unstoppable on top form. Plus we all know his goalscoring record per minute is the best in PL history and his record in big games is incredible.

It's not that easy.

Suarez has more to him as a player, he's got better technique, better link up play, much better playing behind the striker than Aguero(as he showed at Liverpoo).

Aguero only trumps Suarez in finishing from close range and pace.

Suarez is probably better than Henry/Eto'o/Villa in their primes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Suarez has more to him as a player, he's got better technique, better link up play, much better playing behind the striker than Aguero(as he showed at Liverpoo).

Controversial.
are you forreal? have you seen that hattrick? he dragged liverpool to almost win the premier league. in big games yeah he wasn't as good but I'd say thats because against good teams liverpool overall struggled because their team wasn't actually very good. just had suarez and a few others who could attack. he got the joint top scorer for premier league for all time and only played 30 games lmao.
anyway playin for barca he has shown he can play against top teams. was sick against bayern setting up the goals

You can't go around claiming that the best ever performance by the best ever striker you've seen was a hattrick against John Ruddy. Obviously he's better now, but Aguero last season was arguably just as good as Suarez in 13/14 - over the season, Aguero's goal per minute ratio was even better than Suarez, and that included 6 CL goals.

I think Aguero has about a year and a half over Suarez on age, so I'd say at the same age Aguero is better. Not a lot in it in terms of ability at their best. Aguero's fitness is obviously an issue, but it's been better since he changed diet and fitness routine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Suarez is better than Aguero
Suarez
Original post by jam277

I think Aguero has the more effective technique (not really sure what you mean by technique because it's so broad but I'm taking it to mean ball control and dribbling). Aguero's dribbling in minute spaces inside the box is unparalleled and pretty much only Messi makes half a yard for a shot as well as Aguero does. I agree about the other attributes.

Suarez is the better player though, definitely. Not by much but he's a tier above, and I'd have Aguero as the best of the tier below.
Controversial.

I'd have Suarez over Villa, for sure. Eto'o is a close one but Suarez's creativity probably gives it to him, I'd probably put Eto'o and Aguero pretty close.

Henry... it's tricky. Henry had such longevity but that should only be used as a tiebreaker, we're comparing peak vs peak. In 02-03, Henry got 32 in 55 in all comps, AND got 20 assists in the league (and x more in all comps). Suarez in 13-14 got 31 in 33 in the league and 12 assists. Henry also had penalties, which Suarez didn't (and Suarez earned probably 5 directly, contributed to another 5 more, he could easily be on another 10 goals from the 13 penalties that Gerrard took that season).

So by the numbers Suarez shades it, maybe you look at Henry's next best season vs Suarez's next best (Henry 39+9+x in 51 games, Suarez got 49 goals and assists in 43 games). Suarez, again, no penalties. By the numbers Suarez is winning it, and anyone doubting his big game credentials (ie you) can look at doubles in Paris, Manchester, 3 goals at the world cup, the goal that won the Champions League, etc. I think he might just be shading it.
Aguero.
Reply 18
Original post by jam277

Suarez certainly has more than Villa ever offered, and I'd say the same for Eto'o in terms of completeness.

I'm not sure whether I'm looking back in hindsight and with rose-tinted glasses, but I'd actually have Henry at full force over Suarez at full force. Maybe it's because he was surrounded by better players, especially during the Invincibles era.
@Pimped Butterfly

I don't doubt Suarez in big games now, just from his Liverpool days. He won't ever be up there for me with Henry and Ronaldo in terms of PL performances because of it. I know it's harder at Liverpool.

Aguero always comes good when they need him.

Quick Reply

Latest