The Student Room Group

No tuition loan after 2 years!? Urgent help needed

Okay so i screwed up my second year of university, wich was the first year of my undergraduate. My undergraduate was an integrated masters so 5 years all together. ( i did a year 0)

Student finance have told me they wont loan me for my tuition. I dont know why or what to do. I come from a very low income family who live in social housing on welfare, with a very bad financial record so there is no way i can get any private loan company to help me. (Not that i would want to anyway)

is that it? Am i just going to have to drop out?
I'm pretty hysterical right now, any advice / information would be grand.
Why won't they fund you? Can't you re-take year 2 with full funding from them? Everyone is entitled to a gift year from Student Finance.
yeah call them up because everyone's entitled to the full length of your course + 1 grace year - years studied
for you that means 4 + 1 - 2 so you still have 3 years of funding available (don't think masters is funded by SFE but i may be wrong, if so someone please correct me)
Reply 3
Original post by SamuelSingleton
(don't think masters is funded by SFE but i may be wrong, if so someone please correct me)

There are a handful of "integrated Masters" degrees, where you do an extra fourth year and come out with both an undergrad and a Masters degree. Those have full SFE funding all the way through.
Original post by Klix88
There are a handful of "integrated Masters" degrees, where you do an extra fourth year and come out with both an undergrad and a Masters degree. Those have full SFE funding all the way through.

Seems familiar yes,
am I right in thinking then, that if you just do an undergraduates degree and then apply for a masters it won't be funded?
Reply 5
I know i would of got funding for the masters year but I don't mind leaving with just the undergraduate - I just dint get why they're cutting my funding after the second year. (First yoear of undergraduate as I did a year 0)
Reply 6
Original post by UWEJack
I know i would of got funding for the masters year but I don't mind leaving with just the undergraduate - I just dint get why they're cutting my funding after the second year. (First yoear of undergraduate as I did a year 0)

You need to phone them and get them to explain why they're doing that. On the face of it, your explanation certainly makes it sound as though they've made a mistake. As far as I can see, you'll just be using your "grace" year to fund your repeat first undergrad year. It shouldn't cut your SF entitlement short. Somebody at SF may have misunderstood your Foundation+undergrad+integrated Masters situation.
Reply 7
Original post by SamuelSingleton
Seems familiar yes,
am I right in thinking then, that if you just do an undergraduates degree and then apply for a masters it won't be funded?

That's right at the moment. A new SF Masters loan starts next year.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
You need to phone them and get them to explain why they're doing that. On the face of it, your explanation certainly makes it sound as though they've made a mistake. As far as I can see, you'll just be using your "grace" year to fund your repeat first undergrad year. It shouldn't cut your SF entitlement short. Somebody at SF may have misunderstood your Foundation+undergrad+integrated Masters situation.

Yer I figured there'd have to be some calls made. I just wanted some advice / info / clarity before I called. I understand with the year 0 and intergrated masters it makes my case a bit complicated. But again, I've only had 2 years of studying/ finance so it surely has to be a mistake. However I spoke to someone who was in the same situation as me last year who had to fund herself in the end..... Perhaps just because she didn't chase it up.
Reply 9
Hey, just in-case anyone's interested - i called them up and it turns out they will fund me up to six years! As my year zero and masters year counts as 1 course. Plus i get a "grace" year. The reason they put my funding at 0 is beccause i've already been at uni for 2 years but am only going to be on the first year of an undergraduate, they'd made a mistake and thought that i was starting a new course. All i need to do is get the uni to confirm the course i'm on to SFE. Cheers for your help and advice guys :smile:
Reply 10
Great news! Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending