- Applied Business
- English Language

B's
- Chemistry
- Physics
- English Literature

Hi there,

Here's some info on Medicine:

"I don't think my grades are good enough for Medicine!
Medicine
While a lot of people think that to get into any of these courses, you need at least 8 A*s to stand a chance, this is completely not the case for most universities. Even if you didn't do as well as you hoped in your GCSEs, you still have a chance at getting into these.
Have a look at these links and make sure you check with your universities before applying in case any information is out of date:
Medical school GCSE requirements"

Taken from one of the official Results Day threads the TSR Study Help Support Team have made: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3479293

Hope that helps! :smile:
As long as you do well on your A-Levels and have relevant works experience, there is no reason why you shouldn't. Congratulations!
I REALLY want to go to a London med school but my GCSE grades were not the best.

Maths- B
English Literature- B
English Language- B
Core Science- B
Additional Science- C
History- B
French- B
German- A*
Business- B
Information Technology- M2
Philosophy and Ethics- C

I know medicine is really competitive but I really want to do it and I know that I will do better in my A Levels. I'm going to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and German for my A Levels.

Do I have a chance of getting into med school?
Reply 4
Original post by farrrfarr
I REALLY want to go to a London med school but my GCSE grades were not the best.

Maths- B
English Literature- B
English Language- B
Core Science- B
Additional Science- C
History- B
French- B
German- A*
Business- B
Philosophy and Ethics- C

I know medicine is really competitive but I really want to do it and I know that I will do better in my A Levels. I'm going to do Maths, Biology, Chemistry and German for my A Levels.

Yeah go for it! If you smash your AS/A2 exams then you should definitely apply! If you believe in it you cacn do it!

Maths- B
English Literature- B
English Language- B
Core Science- B
Additional Science- C
History- B
French- B
German- A*
Business- B
Philosophy and Ethics- C

Those GCSEs are perhaps a little on the lower side for Medicine tbh. Imperial, for example, require at least AAABB in Maths, English Language, Biology, Physics and Chemistry (in any order and additional science being acceptable as a replacement for the separate sciences) so unfortunately, your grades won't cut it for them. From the top of my head, I don't think they'll cut it for St George's either.

It's still not impossible to do Medicine though, provided you nail your A-Levels and apply wisely when the time comes. Why do you want to go to a London Medical School, if you don't mind me asking? It'd be better to focus on applying to your strengths as opposed to location alone. You'll hopefully end up a doctor wherever you go.
Original post by usycool1
Those GCSEs are perhaps a little on the lower side for Medicine tbh. Imperial, for example, require at least AAABB in Maths, English Language, Biology, Physics and Chemistry (in any order and additional science being acceptable as a replacement for the separate sciences) so unfortunately, your grades won't cut it for them. From the top of my head, I don't think they'll cut it for St George's either.

It's still not impossible to do Medicine though, provided you nail your A-Levels and apply wisely when the time comes. Why do you want to go to a London Medical School, if you don't mind me asking? It'd be better to focus on applying to your strengths as opposed to location alone. You'll hopefully end up a doctor wherever you go.

I like whole atmosphere and learning environment that they have in London but I do think that it's stupid to only focus on one area so I won't only apply to London. And thanks for your kind words 😀
Original post by Cpj16
Yeah go for it! If you smash your AS/A2 exams then you should definitely apply! If you believe in it you cacn do it!

Thanks!

Maths- B
English Literature- B
English Language- B
Core Science- B
Additional Science- C
History- B
French- B
German- A*
Business- B
Philosophy and Ethics- C

You might have a shot at King's College London since they're a more UKCAT-focussed university. You'll have to check their website for details though. Also, I think you'll need to work pretty damn hard at A-level because if you're getting Bs/Cs in science at GCSE and it's not due to extenuating circumstances, you're going to struggle with science A-levels more than the average student.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
You might have a shot at King's College London since they're a more UKCAT-focussed university. You'll have to check their website for details though. Also, I think you'll need to work pretty damn hard at A-level because if you're getting Bs/Cs in science at GCSE and it's not due to extenuating circumstances, you're going to struggle with science A-levels more than the average student.

i thought kings focused on gcse's nearly as heavily as the ukcat afaik.
Original post by medicapplicant98
i thought kings focused on gcse's nearly as heavily as the ukcat afaik.

King's has a mixed approach of sorts. They consider academic, personal statement and UKCAT equally when deciding who to invite for interview so a strong personal statement and UKCAT score can compensate for a weaker than average academic record.

'An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential.'

Got the information from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Original post by Hydeman
King's has a mixed approach of sorts. They consider academic, personal statement and UKCAT equally when deciding who to invite for interview so a strong personal statement and UKCAT score can compensate for a weaker than average academic record.

'An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential.'

Got the information from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

oh alright.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending