The Student Room Group

HOW ARE DEGREE CLASSES CALCULATED? .Is a 2.1 still possible?.

Hello guys i am studying a degree in land and water resources,i am in my second year i have a dream of one day studying for a Masters degree in Earth Sciences that is in Europe, but the problem is that i am scared because so far my first semester in my second year i did 8 modules and got a 2.1 and 4- 2.2s and 3 -3s. is it still possible for me to get a 2.1 class degree, my university weighting system stands like this 1st year-10% ,2ndyr 20%, 3rd yr 30% and lastly 4thyr is 40%.i am now doing 2nd semester in second year.so if you have an idea help because i want to know how do they do it.
Before I start, are you not based in the UK?? Just trying to figure out the months, and the fact that your first year is (even if minimally so) graded, as most uni's don't grade based on 1st year at all?? Im sure some institutions in the UK mark first year, just never met someone where this is the case...

In short, yes a 2.1 is very possible as you have well of 70% of our course left. Unless modules are weighted very differently, you'd be on a 2:2 right now going on the basis that 4/8 modules are a low 2:2 (if you give me a transcript of grade % and weightings OR the university you're attending, i can work it out for you!!) the good thing is that if 1st year-10% ,2ndyr 20%, 3rd yr 30% and lastly 4thyr is 40% is correct, you're only between 10-20% done so far, and even if you were half way through it would still only be 30% with a 2.2 With better grades, its easily early enough to over-compensate this issue.

Now the bad news; Despite your 2.1 certainly being 110% possible, one thing I will say is that you're averaging a 2.2 with year 1 (the amount of third modules are concerning me, as well), then you will need to either work harder, or if it is due to difficulty (I wont' be cynical and will assume its this) then get more support if you're struggling, and speak to your tutors.

Give me more details and I'll happily help out more :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
okay hey thank you brother email me at [personal details removed] thank you for the words of motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending