The Student Room Group

Are my choices feasible?

Hi,

I received my GCSE results today, which I'm happy with aside from English Language which I may get remarked, my grades are as follows:

Maths : A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A*
ICT: A*
Geography: A*
Statistics: A
English literature: A
English language: B
Business: B
German: B
Expressive arts: B

I'm planning on taking:

Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm undecided between medicine and a career in physics/chemistry, hence the variety in options.
My question is, are my grades suitable for Medicine, alongside with my A level options, provided I got good results?
Also, is this too much of a workload? - I hope to have a better work ethic at A level, as at GCSE I didn't revise for half my subjects at all, and the rest I crammed.

Thank you much.
Congrats on your A-level and GCSE results guys.
5 AS levels? I would say it's too much. I did 5 but one of them was mickey mouse general studies which didn't effect my workload at all. Doing 5 is highly unnecessary and would probably damage your chances over doing 4 because you'd do worse overall. Also -
Original post by Turtlebunny
I hope to have a better work ethic at A level, as at GCSE I didn't revise for half my subjects at all, and the rest I crammed.

this is very concerning. You can't just hope to have a better work ethic, you have to put the effort in yourself. Exceptional effort is required to get good enough grades for Medicine with 4 A levels, never mind 5. Good luck to you.
Original post by Docjones1
5 AS levels? I would say it's too much. I did 5 but one of them was mickey mouse general studies which didn't effect my workload at all. Doing 5 is highly unnecessary and would probably damage your chances over doing 4 because you'd do worse overall. Also -

this is very concerning. You can't just hope to have a better work ethic, you have to put the effort in yourself. Exceptional effort is required to get good enough grades for Medicine with 4 A levels, never mind 5. Good luck to you.

You see thoufh, I'm not doing 5 for the sske of it, or to look good, but instead, to keep my options open for a science undergrad course OR medicine.
Hi,

I received my GCSE results today, which I'm happy with aside from English Language which I may get remarked, my grades are as follows:

Maths : A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A*
ICT: A*
Geography: A*
Statistics: A
English literature: A
English language: B
Business: B
German: B
Expressive arts: B

I'm planning on taking:

Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm undecided between medicine and a career in physics/chemistry, hence the variety in options.
My question is, are my grades suitable for Medicine, alongside with my A level options, provided I got good results?
Also, is this too much of a workload? - I hope to have a better work ethic at A level, as at GCSE I didn't revise for half my subjects at all, and the rest I crammed.

Thank you much.
Congrats on your A-level and GCSE results guys.

Your grades are perfect for medicine, 6A*'s and 2A's is a great start. I definitely think 5 AS levels is unnecessary and you grades may suffer 4 A's is better than 3 A'S and 2 B's. Don't stretch yourself too much. :biggrin: It doesn't sound like you have the work ethic to do 5 either
You see thoufh, I'm not doing 5 for the sske of it, or to look good, but instead, to keep my options open for a science undergrad course OR medicine.

It's just my opinion but I think you should have a fairly decent think about your general area of degree choice when picking your A levels. It seems you don't know whether you want to do computer science, engineering, medicine, etc. It'd be better to have a good array of A levels appropriate to one course than a decent array which are suited to a broader area, especially as you're considering medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest