The Student Room Group

Media Studies or Law for A-level ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
Most universities won't even accept Media Studies as an A-level. You're probably better off taking Law.

Okay thats good to know. Thanks.
Reply 21
Original post by Katieann3
I teach Law at a sixth form college and I would say GO FOR IT! It's fun and the Unis love to see it on your application :smile:

Err, no, uni's don't. A Level law is on LSE's list of non-preferred subjects and other universities certainly don't put a preference on A Level Law over other A Levels.

Original post by jessmillerxo
Is that all unis or just the top ones ?

I've only seen that LSE put it at a disadvantage. A number of other universities (including cambridge) say officially that A Level Law does not put students at a disadvantage though. Whatever it is, Law would still be a decent 4th AS level and probably better than media studies.
(edited 8 years ago)
But people have also said they dont accept law either !

However MORE will accept law over media studies
Original post by Willum1
Err, no, uni's don't. A Level law is on LSE's list of non-preferred subjects and other universities certainly don't put a preference on A Level Law over other A Levels.

I've only seen that LSE put it at a disadvantage. A number of other universities (including cambridge) say officially that A Level Law does not put students at a disadvantage though. Whatever it is, Law would still be a decent 4th AS level.

Okay so you would recomend law instead of media? Thanks for you help.
Okay thats good to know. Thanks.

Wait, wait. I may have spoken too soon. I think I had General Studies in mind, rather than Media Studies.

Even so, Media Studies is not generally regarded as a strong subject to take at A-level. Law isn't too traditional either, but it is better regarded than Media.
Original post by lyrate

I dunno, I got accepted by a Russell Group with Media.

See above - I made a derp...
I dont know whether to take law or media studies for a - level, i got an 'A' in media studies at gcse.
But wanted opinions on the subject and whether it is easy / a do-able alevel ?

Don't pick a subject just because you got an A in it. A-Levels are completely different to GCSE, you may hate Media Studies at A-Level.

I'd do Law - I did it and got an A* - enjoyed it a lot.

Besides, nothing is "easy" at A-Level - you always have to work hard to get a good grade
Reply 27
Personally, I wouldn't take either. Even a C or a D at Maths AS would be more interesting in a candidate and would show that you were willing to challenge yourself.
Law and Media studies are the types of A level taken - broadly speaking - by people who are misguided as to where these will take them. They may well be taken because you have an interest in the subjects long term and I don't blame you for being interested in them. But they are largely superficial A levels that don't give you a foundation for higher study in terms of either skills or knowledge. Certainly no more than your other subjects do. There are other ways of demonstrating your interest in the subjects without wasting A levels on them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Not Anonymous
Don't pick a subject just because you got an A in it. A-Levels are completely different to GCSE, you may hate Media Studies at A-Level.

I'd do Law - I did it and got an A* - enjoyed it a lot.

Besides, nothing is "easy" at A-Level - you always have to work hard to get a good grade

Okay, Thanks ! Yes i understand that, But one of the reasons i was considering taking media was because a teacher at my school as i got an A said they would like me to take media as a-level.
I recommend that you choose a course you think you'll enjoy, or one you're passionate about. Do not choose media studies just because you got an A, I made that mistake with maths and my first year at college was awful!
Original post by giella
Personally, I wouldn't take either. Even a C or a D at Maths AS would be more interesting in a candidate and would show that you were willing to challenge yourself.
Law and Media studies are the types of A level taken - broadly speaking - by people who are misguided as to where these will take them. They may well be taken because you have an interest in the subjects long term and I don't blame you for being interested in them. But they are largely superficial A levels that don't give you a foundation for higher study in terms of either skills or knowledge. Certainly no more than your other subjects do. There are other ways of demonstrating your interest in the subjects without wasting A levels on them.

Okay Thanks! I wouldnt get into Maths a-level as i am more confident in english based subjects which is why i was considering media or law. I am quite interested in Graphic design based jobs so thought media would be quite beneficial?
Original post by sophieflush
I recommend that you choose a course you think you'll enjoy, or one you're passionate about. Do not choose media studies just because you got an A, I made that mistake with maths and my first year at college was awful!

Okay thanks ! I'm not really enjoying law when i tried it in induction week that is why i am questioning whether to change it to media. There wasnt any other subjects offered at my school that i was too interested in.
Reply 32
Okay so you would recomend law instead of media? Thanks for you help.

Yep, law is generally seen as better than media! But only do it if you genuinely want to and think you will like it!
Reply 33
Okay Thanks! I wouldnt get into Maths a-level as i am more confident in english based subjects which is why i was considering media or law. I am quite interested in Graphic design based jobs so thought media would be quite beneficial?

If you're not sure of what you want to do, you need to keep your options open. You want to take A level subjects that play to your strengths and interests but which give you the opportunity to grow and challenge yourself as well.
If you are artistic and are interested in creative jobs then you need something that will give you a grounding in the skills actually required to do the course, not a superficial overview. Doing something like D&T or Fine Art would do that. Media studies is really too superficial to give you that.
Likewise, Law is too superficial at A level to be really worth doing. Subjects like English Lit, History, Geography all give you the essay writing skills you want whilst also going into a subject in depth.
Languages give you the communications skills universities want whilst science gives you a strong theoretical base for the creative careers that is often lacking in the people who do them.
Make sure you have three strong choices in there. Feel free to do a fourth out of interest but don't cut yourself off at the knees with something with such a poor reputation as media or law if you can avoid it.
Okay thanks ! I'm not really enjoying law when i tried it in induction week that is why i am questioning whether to change it to media. There wasnt any other subjects offered at my school that i was too interested in.

yeah if you're not enjoying law I suggest changing subjects before it's too late. If you enjoy media and think it would be a good qualification for your future then go for it!
Okay, Thanks ! Yes i understand that, But one of the reasons i was considering taking media was because a teacher at my school as i got an A said they would like me to take media as a-level.

Just cause they say that, doesn't mean you must do it :smile: at the end of the day, it's your decision - forget about what unis think, what people on here think - go with your instinct

Quick Reply

Latest