The Student Room Group

I wan to study A level biology

hi there, just had my results for GCSE and got a C in Biology. I would like to study this at A level, but my Academy are insisting on a B grade. Can I study this subject at A level in the evening at College instead?
Why do people always think they can improve.

If you get a C at GCSE it is unlikely you will progress to a good AS and eventually A2 grade.

If the school wants a B, then you could go to evening college, but it will be a lot of hard work. If you did not try at GCSE then it is unlikely you will try any harder at AS, especially at evening class.

If you did try a lot at GCSE, then you got the best you could at a C (which is fine) but then I would advise you not to take it onto A level because a C at GCSE normally translates to a U-D grade at AS level.
A point I must say though,

Instead of going to college in the evening, you could just move schools/colleges to one that would allow you to do AS biology during the day?

I don't recommend this, I am just pointing out this is a far easier options than the one you suggested.
Original post by Anna Lawson
hi there, just had my results for GCSE and got a C in Biology. I would like to study this at A level, but my Academy are insisting on a B grade. Can I study this subject at A level in the evening at College instead?

Trust me, a level biology is a lot harder to pass. Everyone in my biology class had B or above in their GCSE biology. Still, most of them got Es and Us.

Ask yourself why you got a C. Did you try your best? Were there extenuating circumstances? If you got a C despite trying your best, then you most likely won't get a higher grade at A level.

On a lighter note, ask your college and see what they advise. Some students at my sixth form got in, despite not meeting the entry requirements. Plead your case. Tell them you know where you made mistakes, and how you plan to improve.

If biology is really what you want to do, go for it. It will be one hell of an uphill climb, but if you are up for the challenge, you've got to try! :smile:
Reply 4
I got B in my GCSE Science which is ok I guess

U in my Biology As level lol
I agreee with above, biology is hard, but if that grade is not reflective of your understanding and you actually understand bio well then maybe ask your school to see if they might still let you on, or ask other schools as well?
Reply 6
Original post by Anna Lawson

Have you thought about going to a college/sixth form rather than your academy?
It's not impossible to do well at AS biology provided you work hard, I got an A at GCSE and an A at A2. You're gonna need all of your evening time to revise for all of your A-Levels so a day and evening college may be difficult to juggle. I'd consider not going to your academy and go to a day college that lets you do Biology.

Good luck with your decision x
Pfft I didn't even do triple science because I wasn't good enough...
I got a C at AS Level, which I'm retaking.

Just do what you want!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didnt do triple science, got a B in core science and an A in additional.. I am doing Biology A level and got a B in the AS. With hard work it can be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Ben4
I didnt do triple science, got a B in core science and an A in additional.. I am doing Biology A level and got a B in the AS. With hard work it can be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I did additional science :frown: I only was allowed to do the core because I was in set 2.
Instead we had to do Appliced Science btec also which I got a merit :/ in because I just literally dossed that class and copied from textbooks.
I done Double Science; Core+Additional.

I got B and A yet I decided to do two sciences in As levels

And yet i still got A's in Both.

If you enjoy the subject passionately and have some time to put some effort then I would highly recommend it.

Don't let the past hold you back the future

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest