The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Not living in halls in first year

Are there others that may not be living in student halls in the first year? Also if anyone has had this experience, did you miss out on social life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
are there no more rooms available?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
I've been offered catered accommodation at the moment and there's a really small chance that I'll be able to swap it for self catered. That's why I'm considering sharing a house with other students, most likely second years
Original post by ceequ3
are there no more rooms available?
Original post by im_diann3
I've been offered catered accommodation at the moment and there's a really small chance that I'll be able to swap it for self catered. That's why I'm considering sharing a house with other students, most likely second years

Hi im_diann3
You could share a house or you could look at private halls in Loughborough too.
The accommodation team will be able to advise you as they have approved landords and properties which have all been inspected by accommodation team staff.
You can call the on 01509 274 488 for more information.

Vicky
Reply 4
Me and my friends are undergraduates first year starting this sept, and we're renting a house.
Are there others that may not be living in student halls in the first year? Also if anyone has had this experience, did you miss out on social life?

yes, go for private halls or something- do not make the mistake of living in a house
Reply 6
That's lucky that you're sharing with your friends. What course are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
That's lucky that you're sharing with your friends. What course are you doing?

I'm doing Systems Engineering.
Reply 8
I'm doing Chemical engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You can affiliate with a hall if you are living off-campus but wish to be involved with fresher activities. You'll probably be best off just looking at which one is geographically closest to you if you don't mind which hall to affiliate with.
Original post by LSUFever
You can affiliate with a hall if you are living off-campus but wish to be involved with fresher activities. You'll probably be best off just looking at which one is geographically closest to you if you don't mind which hall to affiliate with.

How do you associate with a hall, I'm struggling to find out how to
Original post by kaihiwatari
How do you associate with a hall, I'm struggling to find out how to

Once you are registered as a student, you should be able to get into your lsu.co.uk account. Once you can log in, go to the page for your hall (the full list is here). There should be a set of buy buttons, one of which is for "Affiliates" or "Affiliation with hall". I'm afraid I can't be more specific as it is up to individual Hall committees how they run things in terms of budgeting and website design. In general, this should be accurate enough.
Once you are registered as a student, you should be able to get into your lsu.co.uk account. Once you can log in, go to the page for your hall (the full list is here). There should be a set of buy buttons, one of which is for "Affiliates" or "Affiliation with hall". I'm afraid I can't be more specific as it is up to individual Hall committees how they run things in terms of budgeting and website design. In general, this should be accurate enough.

In this case I'm not staying in uni halls (sorry i forgot to mention, I'm staying in private halls) i phone Loughborough uni to tell them and they said it would be best to associate with a hall.

I'm guessing i could just do what you suggested and it'll be fine, or is there any special circumstances since I'm not staying in halls.
Original post by kaihiwatari
In this case I'm not staying in uni halls (sorry i forgot to mention, I'm staying in private halls) i phone Loughborough uni to tell them and they said it would be best to associate with a hall.

I'm guessing i could just do what you suggested and it'll be fine, or is there any special circumstances since I'm not staying in halls.

No, you did say that you were staying in private halls - I am using the word "Affiliation" on purpose because that is how it is described on all of the Halls websites. If you are affiliated with a Hall, you do not live there but you will be informed of and can take part in their activities. The money towards affiliation contributes to their yearly budget which they then spend running activities. If a particular Hall interests you (you might pick one based either on who you know there, its reputation or geographical location) and you still aren't sure about affiliating, you should be able to contact their committee through their Hall page.
Reply 14

When you've affiliated with a hall, how would they know that you've affiliated with them? Also, does the affiliation fee cover the fresher's week activities that each hall organises?

As I'm staying in a private hall, when and where can I collect my student ID?
When you've affiliated with a hall, how would they know that you've affiliated with them? Also, does the affiliation fee cover the fresher's week activities that each hall organises?

As I'm staying in a private hall, when and where can I collect my student ID?

To answer your first question, when you affiliate you are buying the status of affiliation, which is attached to your student account. Your affiliate hall committee will be notified and receive your student email address. This means that when emails go out about events, you should be added to them. It is worth contacting the hall committee as well, to introduce yourself and to ask about any Facebook groups you should join to help stay notified.

I am pretty sure that affiliation should cover fresher's week activities, but I cannot say so with 100% certainty as each committee runs things their own way. If in doubt, contact the committee of the hall you are interested in over the summer to find out more. I also found this handy LSU page about affiliation which might help to answer your questions.

I am currently finding out information about Student ID collection and will get back to you as soon as I can. I am afraid I will possibly be without internet for a couple of days, and that at any rate the University may not get back to me until Monday at the earliest; but I will try to get back to you as quickly as possible.
Reply 16
To answer your first question, when you affiliate you are buying the status of affiliation, which is attached to your student account. Your affiliate hall committee will be notified and receive your student email address. This means that when emails go out about events, you should be added to them. It is worth contacting the hall committee as well, to introduce yourself and to ask about any Facebook groups you should join to help stay notified.

I am pretty sure that affiliation should cover fresher's week activities, but I cannot say so with 100% certainty as each committee runs things their own way. If in doubt, contact the committee of the hall you are interested in over the summer to find out more. I also found this handy LSU page about affiliation which might help to answer your questions.

I am currently finding out information about Student ID collection and will get back to you as soon as I can. I am afraid I will possibly be without internet for a couple of days, and that at any rate the University may not get back to me until Monday at the earliest; but I will try to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Do I have to affiliate before arriving to uni or can I do it once I get there so I have an idea which hall my flatmates affiliated with? Thank you!
Do I have to affiliate before arriving to uni or can I do it once I get there so I have an idea which hall my flatmates affiliated with? Thank you!

It's better to do it before rather than after, for example, I'm affiliated with Towers because it's the closest to kingfisher halls. There were 2 types of affiliation, one costing £15 and the other costing £31. In the end the £15 affiliation went and the £31 affiliation was the only one left.

I'm still waiting for information on Student ID and what not, seems like it's been quiet terms of updates from Loughborough uni
I still think this is hall-dependent as individual committees handle affiliation differently. I see no problems with affiliating in the first couple of days, but if you talk with your flatmates earlier it'd be worth sorting it out sooner. If nothing else, it gives you one less thing to worry about when you move in.

Assuming you have good social skills, of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending