The Student Room Group

Feel so confused and in despair

I'm in my final year of undergraduate study and I'm in the process of writing my dissertation and doing labwork before easter. I've felt very confused lately, about seemingly everything. Simple things like deciding what to eat each day is enough to worry me and I can't ever get to sleep properly. Last night I couldn't sleep at all so wrote up an experiment which is due in next Mon. Almost everyone around me is applying for jobs and are due for interviews whereas I'm still unsure of what field I'm going to dedicate my life to. I feel that this degree is getting nowhere and I'm having more problems now than ever before. If you ask me it sounds like depression but really there are so many things I've lost interest in. I support Man U (I know, I know!) but have completely lost interest in when they're playing and football in general. I'm rapidly losing interest in my course although I don't want to with just a couple of months more work to go...

I really am in despair, I hope someone can help :frown:
are there any reason/s you can think of why you would be feeling this way? anything, no matter how small?
Reply 2
you've only got a couple more months of it so just stick with it, im sure when u have finished your studies u will feel much relief and want to find a job
Reply 3
If you're not sure about careers etc, then why not take a gap year? It is quite a big decision but I'm assuming you're still young, there's no rush! I know that it's easy to get swept along with everyone else when it comes to applying for jobs etc but I think some people that are doing that may regret it later on. I think getting into a regular sleep pattern would help, take a bath with lots of calming oils like lavender in the evening and make sure you're in bed for a set time. Have you got a book to read that totally unrelated to work stuff? If not get one, then hopefully you'll feel sleepy before you lie down and won't lie awake stressing. I get very anxious like this sometimes too, and I think it's because I feel out of control of things, so you have to take control before all the anxiousness goes away. Good luck, and if it get worse consider seeing a doctor. Definitely stick it out for the next few months.
Anonymous
I'm in my final year of undergraduate study and I'm in the process of writing my dissertation and doing labwork before easter. I've felt very confused lately, about seemingly everything. Simple things like deciding what to eat each day is enough to worry me and I can't ever get to sleep properly. Last night I couldn't sleep at all so wrote up an experiment which is due in next Mon. Almost everyone around me is applying for jobs and are due for interviews whereas I'm still unsure of what field I'm going to dedicate my life to. I feel that this degree is getting nowhere and I'm having more problems now than ever before. If you ask me it sounds like depression but really there are so many things I've lost interest in. I support Man U (I know, I know!) but have completely lost interest in when they're playing and football in general. I'm rapidly losing interest in my course although I don't want to with just a couple of months more work to go...

I really am in despair, I hope someone can help :frown:

It sounds like you may have depression, have you talked to any of your friends about how you feel? It might be a good idea to go and see your GP?
How long have you been feeling like this?
I know that you might feel like you don't want to keep going at uni, but you have got so far, even when you don't feel like it, just force yourself to keep going.
Is there a lot of stuff you're upset about at the moment? Is it mostly career and uni related?

Latest

Trending

Trending