The Student Room Group

Is it worth switching courses? or should I leave it? PLS READ!!

Hello, so I am about to go to uni to do Modern Languages (french and spanish) WITH Film studies, while this is fine, most unis dont offer that and I managed to get in the only one who does, and most people just do modern languages alone. I was wondering, is it easier to do just modern languages and choose film modules since the film studies side doesn't offer me much credit anyway? or should I keep it as it is? I am just worried the film side will just be unnecessary extra work besides the modern languages which is what I will be focused on.

Someone told me there's a reason most unis don't offer a film course with languages, because of the extra unnecessary work?
Reply 1
Original post by Guymd
Hello, so I am about to go to uni to do Modern Languages (french and spanish) WITH Film studies, while this is fine, most unis dont offer that and I managed to get in the only one who does, and most people just do modern languages alone. I was wondering, is it easier to do just modern languages and choose film modules since the film studies side doesn't offer me much credit anyway? or should I keep it as it is? I am just worried the film side will just be unnecessary extra work besides the modern languages which is what I will be focused on.

Someone told me there's a reason most unis don't offer a film course with languages, because of the extra unnecessary work?

Hi.

Congratulations on getting your place. :smile:

If film studies is something you are really interested in, then I would say stick with the course because you will be motivated to do the work for those modules, as well as giving you the opportunity to obtain additional skills/knowledge to complement your language skills.

If you were to change to a straight modern languages course then the film studies modules would have to be replaced with other modules which would almost certainly be culture/literature/history/linguistics or something similar and will be just as much work as you would be doing for film studies.

It may be possible to change to a straight MFL course after your first year if you realise that the film studies bit is not working out, but I doubt you would be able to do the opposite and switch from straight MFL back to your original course because you would have missed out on first year core modules in film studies.

Hope this helps.
Just googled modern languages and film studies.
At least 5 uni's offer it including Leicester, UCL and UEA. So I'm sure it's not too much of a work load.
Reply 3
Original post by FionaMG
Hi.

Congratulations on getting your place. :smile:

If film studies is something you are really interested in, then I would say stick with the course because you will be motivated to do the work for those modules, as well as giving you the opportunity to obtain additional skills/knowledge to complement your language skills.

If you were to change to a straight modern languages course then the film studies modules would have to be replaced with other modules which would almost certainly be culture/literature/history/linguistics or something similar and will be just as much work as you would be doing for film studies.

It may be possible to change to a straight MFL course after your first year if you realise that the film studies bit is not working out, but I doubt you would be able to do the opposite and switch from straight MFL back to your original course because you would have missed out on first year core modules in film studies.

Hope this helps.

hello, thank yo so much, yes this helps a lot, i think i will stick with film, and see after the first year because I do really like it, i just thought there would be no
could you explain the module replacement? does that mean i have less modules than everyone else in ML because of film?
thank you for replying also, extremely helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by Guymd
does that mean i have less modules than everyone else in ML because of film?

Hi. :smile:

Yes, that's exactly right. Whereas some of your ML classmates will have modules in, for example, French history or Spanish culture, you will have film studies modules instead. You will not miss out on the actual language modules because these will be the core modules of your course.

Since your course is ML with film, this means that ML are the most important part of your degree, so the split will be something like two thirds ML modules and one third film modules. And since you are doing two languages, the ML modules will usually be split 50/50 between the two languages. You should be able to find more details about this on your uni's website, although exactly how much detail depends on the uni. Some unis have websites which are more detailed and user-friendly than others.

Just as an aside, film studies can actually tie in with ML from the point of view of foreign films that need to be subtitled or dubbed for English-speaking audiences, so that's something to consider if you're interested in that side of it, especially if your uni offers a subtitling module as part of the ML course. I know of at least two that do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending