The Student Room Group

What course should I choose...

Hello I'm very confused to what university course to choose. I'm considering: psychology with Criminology, biomedical science and Primary Education.

I'm a kind,helpful person who enjoys helping people. I prefer not to work in a lot of pressure & would like to go into a career I'll enjoy and is well paid.
I love science preferably Biology however,I wouldn't want to go into a lab based careers which makes me have second thoughts on biomedical science.

Psychology seems interesting however, when I read revision notes on Alevel psychology it seems pretty dull.

I've been teaching my Lil brother and realised I don't mind teaching but need to find techniques so others can understand the concepts quickly whilst enjoying it. I find this embarrassing to say but certain single digits I can't count without using my fingers.

I was wondering do teachers mark books without a sort of marking sheet? .
Reply 1
Careers are often well paid because there's a lot of responsibility and pressure. It's up to you to compromise for the money if you really want it.

If you think psychology is dull why would you go into a degree for it?

If you want to teach primary you will need to brush up on your maths a lot, not just for QTS but also the kids won't have much respect for you if they know more maths than you do when you're trying to teach it. Get to grips with times tables, long division and multiplication, number lines, and the rest.

Activity books and test papers will have mark sheets, but you'll also be setting your own work, so you need to be sure it's correct and solvable before you set it.
I wanted to do a degree in Psychology alone, love the subject but when i went to a talk at Southampton, (unfortunately) it seemed very dull. I had always kept in mind doing it with Criminology, so went to the Criminology talk, and what a difference! It seemed so so interesting, so I am now going to apply for the Crim/Psych course! Keep in mind that if you do a BPS accredited degree, like the crim/pysch one at southmapton, it enables you to still go down the route of psychology alone! so doing crim and psych wouldn't be a bad choice :smile:
Original post by Hawksby83
Careers are often well paid because there's a lot of responsibility and pressure. It's up to you to compromise for the money if you really want it.

If you think psychology is dull why would you go into a degree for it?

If you want to teach primary you will need to brush up on your maths a lot, not just for QTS but also the kids won't have much respect for you if they know more maths than you do when you're trying to teach it. Get to grips with times tables, long division and multiplication, number lines, and the rest.

Activity books and test papers will have mark sheets, but you'll also be setting your own work, so you need to be sure it's correct and solvable before you set it.

Yeah... I'm finding the qts very hard. So unless I think i'm capable of it i might opt it out.

Reading the alevel notes made it seem as dull however , when I watched the videos I realised it's actually interesting!

I love the course moduals for biomedical science however , the career prospects isn't quite great which is such a shame!
Original post by meganwd97
I wanted to do a degree in Psychology alone, love the subject but when i went to a talk at Southampton, (unfortunately) it seemed very dull. I had always kept in mind doing it with Criminology, so went to the Criminology talk, and what a difference! It seemed so so interesting, so I am now going to apply for the Crim/Psych course! Keep in mind that if you do a BPS accredited degree, like the crim/pysch one at southmapton, it enables you to still go down the route of psychology alone! so doing crim and psych wouldn't be a bad choice :smile:

Yeah I was considering that too however , if you combine the two subjects you wouldn't learn about mental health.
Original post by Uz25
Yeah I was considering that too however , if you combine the two subjects you wouldn't learn about mental health.

Ah right. Well from what I have been told if you still do a BPS accredited degree if it's just psych or not you can still go on to do clinical psychology anyway
Original post by meganwd97
Ah right. Well from what I have been told if you still do a BPS accredited degree if it's just psych or not you can still go on to do clinical psychology anyway

Yeah 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending