The Student Room Group

Help an ex-pat mum work out her new student's living costs

Hi.

As the title says, I'm an ex-pat mum. I've lived in Portugal for almost 30 years and have only been back to the UK for holidays so I'm totally out of touch with living costs.

My daughter is starting at Essex and I have no idea how much she's likely to need for general living costs. She's classed as an EU student so there's no maintenance grant/loan.

She's going to be in self-catering halls on campus and she's perfectly capable of making simple meals (think beans on toast, English breakfast, tuna jacket potato, etc...), not a smoker and not much of a drinker/partyer.

I know it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by FionaMG
Hi.

As the title says, I'm an ex-pat mum. I've lived in Portugal for almost 30 years and have only been back to the UK for holidays so I'm totally out of touch with living costs.

My daughter is starting at Essex and I have no idea how much she's likely to need for general living costs. She's classed as an EU student so there's no maintenance grant/loan.

She's going to be in self-catering halls on campus and she's perfectly capable of making simple meals (think beans on toast, English breakfast, tuna jacket potato, etc...), not a smoker and not much of a drinker/partyer.

I know it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/studentfinance/cost_of_living.aspx
Original post by FionaMG
Hi.

Most universities have this kind of page :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you both. That's very helpful. :smile:
Original post by FionaMG
Hi.

Hi there :smile:

I obviously can't give an exact price on what she may need, because all university accommodation is priced differently, and, each person will spend different amount of money. However, my university (Oxford Brookes) provide a brief and assumed breakdown of costs which you my want to look through (link below). You'll just need to change the accommodation price to that which you'll be paying at Essex, and discuss which expenses you thing may/may not be needed, etc :smile:

I hope this helps :smile:

Brookes Breakdown: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/finance/living-costs/
Original post by SeanFM

Most universities have this kind of page :smile:

NINJA'D.
Reply 6
Original post by Connor_C97
Hi there :smile:

I obviously can't give an exact price on what she may need, because all university accommodation is priced differently, and, each person will spend different amount of money. However, my university (Oxford Brookes) provide a brief and assumed breakdown of costs which you my want to look through (link below). You'll just need to change the accommodation price to that which you'll be paying at Essex, and discuss which expenses you thing may/may not be needed, etc :smile:

I hope this helps :smile:

Brookes Breakdown: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/finance/living-costs/

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by FionaMG
Hi.

Hello,

I have sent you a link via message to a page on the University of Essex's website that gives a breakdown of the average amount a student will spend.

Sorry for not leaving the link here, TSR seems to delete posts with links in!

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

^Natalie,
Reply 8
Original post by essexunistudent
Hello,

I have sent you a link via message to a page on the University of Essex's website that gives a breakdown of the average amount a student will spend.

Sorry for not leaving the link here, TSR seems to delete posts with links in!

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

^Natalie,

Thanks for helping. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending