The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

It's not that hard to get into, providing you get the standard AAB/ABB. They're just really strict on their entry requirements so don't go below this very often, never usually take in from clearing etc

if you're looking for an achievement it's number 8 in the telegraph in terms of highest applicant : place ratio, and Highest entry requirements (in UK universities)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by hexagonalRod
As above- I dont really know how good it is- whats good about it if it is good?

It's personally a big deal for me since my entry requirements for my course were A*AA. It all depends on your course and how well suited the university is for the subject you are taking but I think yes, getting into Bristol is something to be proud of. At least it is for me.
Original post by SamuelSingleton
It's not that hard to get into, providing you get the standard AAB/ABB. They're just really strict on their entry requirements so don't go below this very often, never usually take in from clearing etc

if you're looking for an achievement it's number 8 in the telegraph in terms of highest applicant : place ratio, and Highest entry requirements (in UK universities)

Pretty sure standard offer is AAA for most courses or AAB for a contextual offer. In my opinion any student who gets AAA/AAB should definitely be proud of themselves, Bristol is a great institution and for a lot of courses only around 20% (for really competitive courses) get an offer, let alone get in.
I would be but then that's me :pierre:
Original post by HarleenQuinzel
It's personally a big deal for me since my entry requirements for my course were A*AA. It all depends on your course and how well suited the university is for the subject you are taking but I think yes, getting into Bristol is something to be proud of. At least it is for me.

What course?
Original post by sallyware
Pretty sure standard offer is AAA for most courses or AAB for a contextual offer. In my opinion any student who gets AAA/AAB should definitely be proud of themselves, Bristol is a great institution and for a lot of courses only around 20% (for really competitive courses) get an offer, let alone get in.

Yeah you might be right, to be honest I only looked into science subjects and I know for those like mine (neuroscience) it was ABB and joint honor political sciences (my friend) was also ABB (at my college, think we're in the bottom 40% or whatever it was so we all got contextual offers ?)

What I meant was it's not that hard to get into providing you get the grades but I take that back now because that's just true for any university haha :tongue:

definitely right though to you and OP, getting an offer and meeting it for Bristol is definitely an achievement no matter what their offer was - very respected university
What course?

English. Telling you that might now give you a lower opinion of the degree I've chosen, but I don't consider it an easy subject. I honestly thought an A* would be impossible for me to obtain, especially considering what I got in the AS. I'm proud of being able to get into Bristol because I know I put in a lot of work to get there. Plus Bristol has a really good reputation so I think you should be proud of gaining a place there. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
English. Telling you that might now give you a lower opinion of the degree I've chosen, but I don't consider it an easy subject. I honestly thought an A* would be impossible for me to obtain, especially considering what I got in the AS. I'm proud of being able to get into Bristol because I know I put in a lot of work to get there. Plus Bristol has a really good reputation so I think you should be proud of gaining a place there. :smile:

Oh no I absolutely adore English, I wish I had the capacity to do an Arts degree, I find the use of language very fascinating
Yes! Bristol is absolutely amazing for medicine, plus it's an amazing city too. If I got in, I would probably cry. The only problem is that it's so competitive. 5000+ applicants for about 200 places in their medical school D: my numbers may be a bit off, but you get the idea
Oh no I absolutely adore English, I wish I had the capacity to do an Arts degree, I find the use of language very fascinating

Oh it's so nice to have someone appreciate what I'm studying! What course are you doing?
Oh it's so nice to have someone appreciate what I'm studying! What course are you doing?

Engineering :smile: we have the first 3 letters in common!
As above- I dont really know how good it is- whats good about it if it is good?

Good university with a strong reputation in the UK and I think well inside the top 100 in most global rankings. For a while it was associated with the "Oxbridge Rejects" tag given it attracted a lot of students who got turned down from those places but many universities have students like that. Seems to have a slightly higher proportion of private school students than most places.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Good university with a strong reputation in the UK and I think well inside the top 100 in most global rankings. For a while it was associated with the "Oxbridge Rejects" tag given it attracted a lot of students who got turned down from those places but many universities have students like that. Seems to have a slightly higher proportion of private school students than most places.

I shouldve gone with Leeds ;-; I was peer pressured into choosing Bristol cos apparently its better than Leeds Sheffield and Surrey (and southampton) for engineering
Leeds has a terrible rep! It's just known as the party uni!! Trust me you're much better off with Bristol!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Leeds has a terrible rep! It's just known as the party uni!! Trust me you're much better off with Bristol!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you choose bristol over leeds?
I shouldve gone with Leeds ;-; I was peer pressured into choosing Bristol cos apparently its better than Leeds Sheffield and Surrey (and southampton) for engineering

Shelfield and Leeds aren't bad but you certainly chose the right choice going with Bristol.
did you choose bristol over leeds?

Well I went to Bristol but never applied to Leeds. It doesn't have as good a rep with employers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster

top 100 doesnt sound attractive

It is a million times better than those universities....ok a million is an exaggeration but it definitely has a stronger rep than those both in the UK and abroad and is better targeted by big companies etc. You'd have been stupid to pick any of the others over Bristol. Good decision.

Latest

Trending

Trending