The Student Room Group

Medicine with Chem As???

Hey everyone!

So I got quiete bad results in my As grades...B in Eco, E bio and two U's in Mahts&Chem...My school advised me now to drop Chem and do Maths As again...but I would like to study medicine...I'm sure that I can pull up my Eco and Bio grade to an A and a B...then if I would do Maths and Chem As again and get A's in both...would unis still take me? Btw I already have my German A level and got an A...so what do you think? Or is it not worth doing As Chemistry again? Would I be able to study Medicine in other countries with only Chem until As?
Thank you in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by cherry00
Hey everyone!

So I got quiete bad results in my As grades...B in Eco, E bio and two U's in Mahts&Chem...My school advised me now to drop Chem and do Maths As again...but I would like to study medicine...I'm sure that I can pull up my Eco and Bio grade to an A and a B...then if I would do Maths and Chem As again and get A's in both...would unis still take me? Btw I already have my German A level and got an A...so what do you think? Or is it not worth doing As Chemistry again? Would I be able to study Medicine in other countries with only Chem until As?
Thank you in advance!

BEUU then? Well done on the B however I think you may have to resit the year as it would be much easier for you to. Maybe the new Chem and biology specs could work better for you? Also university wise, I think they'd be likely to reject you if you were to apply with these grades, bearing in mind other applicants will have 4 AS levels already to a good standard and you might just a be squeezed out by the top applicants. However if you resit the year, there are still a lot of unis that don't mind a levels being done over 3 years. Also you'd only have maths exams in your first year as maths is still modular. Maybe that would take the pressure off of you somehow too? But I'd definitely recommend doing chemistry because some courses ask for both Chem and bio and some even don't require biology yet ask specifically for chemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by RonnieRJ
BEUU then? Well done on the B however I think you may have to resit the year as it would be much easier for you to. Maybe the new Chem and biology specs could work better for you? Also university wise, I think they'd be likely to reject you if you were to apply with these grades, bearing in mind other applicants will have 4 AS levels already to a good standard and you might just a be squeezed out by the top applicants. However if you resit the year, there are still a lot of unis that don't mind a levels being done over 3 years. Also you'd only have maths exams in your first year as maths is still modular. Maybe that would take the pressure off of you somehow too? But I'd definitely recommend doing chemistry because some courses ask for both Chem and bio and some even don't require biology yet ask specifically for chemistry.

Thank you for your replying :smile:
Hmm okay so having Chemistry at As Level is no benefit at all? I would not apply this year with these As grades as they are too bad...I would work hard this year and apply with my A2 and new As grades...because I have heard that there is a possibility of a foundation year to the applicants without Chemistry...or should I choose a different pathway?
Reply 3
Original post by cherry00
Thank you for your replying :smile:
Hmm okay so having Chemistry at As Level is no benefit at all? I would not apply this year with these As grades as they are too bad...I would work hard this year and apply with my A2 and new As grades...because I have heard that there is a possibility of a foundation year to the applicants without Chemistry...or should I choose a different pathway?

Well it would be of some benefit however not having full chem a level would limit your general options when in comes to where you can apply. Also, would you then be taking a gap year? If you're taking a year out anyway I would definitely recommend doing year 12 again because it could help you so much and you wouldn't have the pressure of having to resit so many exams with your A2.
And yes a foundation year is possible but the finance is the problem. I think SF only does 4 years of finance and I think something called a gift year if you had to resit one of your uni years.
However I don't think you should choose a different path, if that's what you want to do, do it, but you'll just have to work hard :smile: don't give up on something if it didn't work out as well as you hoped at the start :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest