The Student Room Group

ALevels needed to study law at Russell group uni

Hi, so I want to take Law at a russel group university and eventually become a solicitor. I am definitely taking English Literature, Mathematics and French ALevel. However I wanted to take Government and Politics AS Level but college have just told me they can't timetable it as the lessons clash with French. What should I take instead? I did consider Law but will this hinder my chances of getting I to a good uni as I have heard some don't like it?
You should consider taking History as it is looked upon favourably and it is an essay-based subject which is an essential skill required for studying Law.

No I don't think taking Law for your A-Levels would hinder your chances but it doesn't improve it either if that makes sense. Take a look at this short article:
http://www.brightknowledge.org/knowledge-bank/law-and-politics/studying-law/should-i-do-a-level-law

But all in all seriously consider History :smile: English and History A-Levels are usually the two subjects most people take if they plan to study Law.
Reply 2
Original post by Londoner.
You should consider taking History as it is looked upon favourably and it is an essay-based subject which is an essential skill required for studying Law.

No I don't think taking Law for your A-Levels would hinder your chances but it doesn't improve it either if that makes sense. Take a look at this short article:
http://www.brightknowledge.org/knowledge-bank/law-and-politics/studying-law/should-i-do-a-level-law

But all in all seriously consider History :smile: English and History A-Levels are usually the two subjects most people take if they plan to study Law.

Thank you for your reply, I did consider history but now that it has become a linear alevel I would not be able to drop it and gain an AS Level after one year and I do not want to drop any of my other subjects. Any other suggestions?
Original post by LarissaP
Thank you for your reply, I did consider history but now that it has become a linear alevel I would not be able to drop it and gain an AS Level after one year and I do not want to drop any of my other subjects. Any other suggestions?

Well, I can see that you have chosen three 'facilitating' subjects which is fantastic so I guess for your fourth choice you can choose whatever subject you enjoy. If you want to take Law then go for it!

However, if you do want your fourth subject to also be another 'strong' subject then I suggest Geography.

Hope this post helped :smile:
Hi, so I want to take Law at a russel group university and eventually become a solicitor. I am definitely taking English Literature, Mathematics and French ALevel. However I wanted to take Government and Politics AS Level but college have just told me they can't timetable it as the lessons clash with French. What should I take instead? I did consider Law but will this hinder my chances of getting I to a good uni as I have heard some don't like it?

Dont take law. And you're doing the same as me, shame you cant do politics. Do history. Or another language? i want to be a lawyer too:-)
Reply 5
Well, I can see that you have chosen three 'facilitating' subjects which is fantastic so I guess for your fourth choice you can choose whatever subject you enjoy. If you want to take Law then go for it!

However, if you do want your fourth subject to also be another 'strong' subject then I suggest Geography.

Hope this post helped :smile:

Ok thank you for the advice! Don't think I will go for geography didn't do it at gcse😂 don't think I'd be able do alevel
Reply 6
Original post by Punkrockfan
Dont take law. And you're doing the same as me, shame you cant do politics. Do history. Or another language? i want to be a lawyer too:-)

Why not take law?any reason? And I did consider history but now that it has become a linear alevel I would not be able to drop it and gain an AS Level after one year and I do not want to drop any of my other subjects. And don't want to take another language as I know plenty of people who have took 2 and said it's too confusing. Any other suggestions? What 4th alevel are you doing?
Ok thank you for the advice! Don't think I will go for geography didn't do it at gcse😂 don't think I'd be able do alevel

You're welcome :smile:
BTW, why don't you want to study History for the whole two years? (just out of curiosity)
Reply 9
BTW, why don't you want to study History for the whole two years? (just out of curiosity)

Because the only reason I would be taking history is because I want to take an essay based subject as my fourth subject although I'm good at history and did get an A* at gcse and did enjoy it! I didn't enjoy it as much as the other 3 subjects I am taking and I really want to keep those 3 on as they keep my options opens french will give me the oppourtunity to study aboard or a degree combing Law and French. I think English literature is a subject I want to keep on because I love reading and think because English is a key subject it's great to have. I want to keep maths because I loved maths got an A* and if I didn't persue law I think I would want to persue maths perhaps. So history kind of gets left on its own, there is nothing I would want to do with it😂
Why not take law?any reason? And I did consider history but now that it has become a linear alevel I would not be able to drop it and gain an AS Level after one year and I do not want to drop any of my other subjects. And don't want to take another language as I know plenty of people who have took 2 and said it's too confusing. Any other suggestions? What 4th alevel are you doing?

A lot of universities dont like it because the way its taught in college is different to how you learn law in uni, and its considered "easy". So pick any "facilitating subjects"
My a levels: History, geography, politics, french, arabic and literature.
You can do biology? Math? It really doesn't matter. As long as its something "respected" i guess. Traditional subjects.
Reply 11
Original post by Punkrockfan
A lot of universities dont like it because the way its taught in college is different to how you learn law in uni, and its considered "easy". So pick any "facilitating subjects"
My a levels: History, geography, politics, french, arabic and literature.
You can do biology? Math? It really doesn't matter. As long as its something "respected" i guess. Traditional subjects.

You're taking 6 Alevels? Wow. I'm already taking English Literature, Maths, French and still need to pick a fourth and I was considering law as I cannot take government and politics as it can't be time tabled at my college
You're taking 6 Alevels? Wow. I'm already taking English Literature, Maths, French and still need to pick a fourth and I was considering law as I cannot take government and politics as it can't be time tabled at my college

Well, arabics native so it wont be too hard. And do biologyyyyyyy^_^
Reply 13

I don't particularly want to do a science as I think it will be useless to me and I didn't enjoy doing triple science at gcse. Also even though I got an A* in my biology I sat my gcse for that in year 10 so I wouldn't remember anything at all😂. At the moment I am still leaning towards doing Law as my fourth alevel

Your first 3 are excellent choices for law. Just pick something you'd enjoy for your fourth.
Reply 15
Thank you for your reply, so you don't think law as my fourth choice would hinder my chances of getting into a Russell group uni?
Thank you for your reply, so you don't think law as my fourth choice would hinder my chances of getting into a Russell group uni?

I don't see why, it's not as despised as some people make out - I think it's only LSE who actually say they prefer you not to do it..
Reply 17
Original post by Compost
I don't see why, it's not as despised as some people make out - I think it's only LSE who actually say they prefer you not to do it..

I'm really not sure what to do are there any other subjects I should consider taking?
I'm really not sure what to do are there any other subjects I should consider taking?

The obvious one you're not doing is History, but you're doing 3 great subjects showing a real breath of ability. The fourth really isn't that important so just pick anything you enjoy and you think you can do well at..

Quick Reply

Latest