The Student Room Group

How would employers view this?

Does anyone know how it is viewed (by employers and universities) to go from a BA Modern Languages degree to master, or go into Law or Business? As they are unrelated, would it be frowned upon or would the uni not allow it?
Reply 1
Original post by danavfc96
Does anyone know how it is viewed (by employers and universities) to go from a BA Modern Languages degree to master, or go into Law or Business? As they are unrelated, would it be frowned upon or would the uni not allow it?

In my opinion............As far as employers are concerned, it would depend on which job they were trying to fill. At the risk of denigrating your efforts over many years, many of them wouldn't really mind what the subject was (unless the role required something very specific........ such as language fluency).

Personally, I think the masters route is unnecessary. I just can't see how it adds anything to my organisation that isn't available in a bachelors graduate......... Beware, that's a personal view, I'm sure there are some jobs that need people to study to masters level, but if you don't know which jobs they are, or if you're not sure that you want to do those jobs, then don't do a masters (yet) Presumably it's better to find an employer who'll put you through the masters at their expense (a mutual benefit) rather than you taking the chance (and financial burden) in case it doesn't work out.

I know some employers who feel that masters students are possibly damaging their chances of employment with their organisations because they become over-qualified (the majority of graduates will likely end up working for employers who don't really need graduates).

As an employer, I think it's a shame that the perceived value of continued academic study is unchallenged......... from an employment point of view, bachelors and masters are only worthwhile if you know how they'll add value to the person who is going to give you a job. How can you apply your skills and expertise such that you and the employer are both happy............ this connection never gets taught, it's just assumed that the qualification itself will support your career (which is hardly ever true).

If I were you I'd go for any employment first, a second degree next (if you really feel that you have to), and a masters if you have to as a final option. Employers want enthusiasm and positive attitude as much as (if not more than) extra qualifications.

I notice that you ask if the university would "allow it". Beware, as brilliant as a good university can be for your cv, they are, at the end of the day, heavily interested in your money. A university advertising the "employability" premium of their course or institution isn't a guarantee of employment. What gets you a job is your knowledge and enthusiasm for the company in questions, not the fact that you got your qualification from college A or college B.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending