The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Starting postgrad at Manchester - Halls or Private?

I'm starting a masters in September. I haven't attended before and I don't know anyone there. Socially, are halls a good idea? They seem like it, since I'd meet the most people, but I don't know what life in the uni or city is like. I'll need to be on campus a lot for my degree, so I can't be too far.

Also, I just turned 21 and I'm no more mature than undergrad students, so while I don't need to be hanging out with them, I don't really want to only be getting to know much older or reclusive PhD/international students. Does anyone have a gauge for whether postgrad accommodation would be like this?

Similarly, given what I've said above - Fallowfield or city?

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
what major do you take in manchaster?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
University-owned halls offer a number of advantages over private accommodation so I'd personally go for them. Some of the halls have a mixture of undergraduate and postgraduate students so while you would still be placed with postgrads, you would at least have younger students nearby.

The city campus halls have the obvious advantage of being close to campus but are generally less social than their Fallowfield counterparts. I guess which you choose comes down to which aspect is more important to you.

It's worth noting that unless you're a non-EU student, you aren't guaranteed a place in halls. As it's now very late in the year for applying, this could potentially be a bit of a problem in terms of being offered a room.
Original post by anglophilegirl
what major do you take in manchaster?

Biology

Original post by HandmadeTurnip
University-owned halls offer a number of advantages over private accommodation so I'd personally go for them. Some of the halls have a mixture of undergraduate and postgraduate students so while you would still be placed with postgrads, you would at least have younger students nearby.

The city campus halls have the obvious advantage of being close to campus but are generally less social than their Fallowfield counterparts. I guess which you choose comes down to which aspect is more important to you.

It's worth noting that unless you're a non-EU student, you aren't guaranteed a place in halls. As it's now very late in the year for applying, this could potentially be a bit of a problem in terms of being offered a room.

Yeah, I realise it's late but that was largely out of my control due to the way my application's gone. It may be too late to get a response, but in what way is Fallowfield more social? The actual people there, or it just has easier access to student bars etc?
Original post by Highly Sammable

Yeah, I realise it's late but that was largely out of my control due to the way my application's gone. It may be too late to get a response, but in what way is Fallowfield more social? The actual people there, or it just has easier access to student bars etc?

You still have time to submit an application, you should get a response (whether it's positive or negative) fairly quickly so the only thing you'll lose is a small amount of time.

Fallowfield has one of the highest concentrations of students in the entire country, if not the highest. Almost everything around there is geared towards students so there are plenty of shops, bars and food places. It also tends to attract the more social students as those who are heavily work-oriented (e.g. international or mature students) tend to opt for somewhere closer to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending