The Student Room Group

Early! Japanese 2016/2017

Yea, sorry it's early ^.^ Is anyone planning on applying for the Japansese 2016-2017 course ^.^ I'm just curious to see plus i'd love to get to chat about why people are wanting to take the course and where they are planning to go ^.^

Scroll to see replies

I'm not doing it at university but I do evening classes and I was thinking of taking the JLPT level 1 or 2 :smile: although I'll have to get serious about kanji :< how about you?
Reply 2
Original post by Hevachan
I'm not doing it at university but I do evening classes and I was thinking of taking the JLPT level 1 or 2 :smile: although I'll have to get serious about kanji :< how about you?

Oh lucky you're already doing Japanese ^.^ I'm planning on going to Edinburgh or Sheffield University to study Japanese, although I know the alphabets and some phrases. Hahaha Kanji everyone seems to have difficulty with, if you love the language and country and everything about Japan that'll surely motivate you to learn the Kanji! You can do it! haha ^.^ What made you like Japan? and do Japanese? ^.^
Original post by Ruthikins
Oh lucky you're already doing Japanese ^.^ I'm planning on going to Edinburgh or Sheffield University to study Japanese, although I know the alphabets and some phrases. Hahaha Kanji everyone seems to have difficulty with, if you love the language and country and everything about Japan that'll surely motivate you to learn the Kanji! You can do it! haha ^.^ What made you like Japan? and do Japanese? ^.^

Awe wonderful.. Edinburgh is a magical place, my Japanese teacher says they have excellent Japanese food... although Sheffield has the lol bubble tea cafe.. hard choice xD but Edinburgh would win for me!
Yes that's true :biggrin:!
I used to watch anime a lot so that started it but since then just watching studio ghibli and appreciating the culture ^^ I always wanted to learn another language and Japanese is just so interesting!! What makes you interested? :smile:
Reply 4
Awe wonderful.. Edinburgh is a magical place, my Japanese teacher says they have excellent Japanese food... although Sheffield has the lol bubble tea cafe.. hard choice xD but Edinburgh would win for me!
Yes that's true :biggrin:!
I used to watch anime a lot so that started it but since then just watching studio ghibli and appreciating the culture ^^ I always wanted to learn another language and Japanese is just so interesting!! What makes you interested? :smile:

Have you been to Edinburgh? Edinburgh looks so pretty and the city seems amazing, I've heard and seen many stories about the city. really? I have to go one day! I love bubble tea, hahah decisions decisions... aww many people start with anime, for me it wasn't. Actually anime was sort of the last thing, about Japan. I've seen many documentaries about the culture and it just seemed so new and fascinating. I started watching vlogs too and i was hooked, the language just made it better! I've always loved the Eastern-Asain culture to be honest, like Korea and China. Each one is as special as the other but I really want to learn the Japanese language now ^.^
Have you been to Edinburgh? Edinburgh looks so pretty and the city seems amazing, I've heard and seen many stories about the city. really? I have to go one day! I love bubble tea, hahah decisions decisions... aww many people start with anime, for me it wasn't. Actually anime was sort of the last thing, about Japan. I've seen many documentaries about the culture and it just seemed so new and fascinating. I started watching vlogs too and i was hooked, the language just made it better! I've always loved the Eastern-Asain culture to be honest, like Korea and China. Each one is as special as the other but I really want to learn the Japanese language now ^.^

Yeah I stayed there for a week during fringe festival two years ago and it was so good. I didn't even scratch the surface of all the things to see and do.. it's really a magical place!! I've spent alot of time in Sheffield too as my fiancé went to uni there, it's really nice and a good university but it's not got the same impact as Edinburgh :smile:.
Ohh interesting (omoshiroi!) I always feel a bit stereotypical saying it was because of anime but it's the truth :smile: I'd like to go to Japan one day but I'm a bit scared about going so far! One of my class mates recently moved to Fukuoka and im super jealous of her bravery
Reply 6
Yeah I stayed there for a week during fringe festival two years ago and it was so good. I didn't even scratch the surface of all the things to see and do.. it's really a magical place!! I've spent alot of time in Sheffield too as my fiancé went to uni there, it's really nice and a good university but it's not got the same impact as Edinburgh :smile:.
Ohh interesting (omoshiroi!) I always feel a bit stereotypical saying it was because of anime but it's the truth :smile: I'd like to go to Japan one day but I'm a bit scared about going so far! One of my class mates recently moved to Fukuoka and im super jealous of her bravery

You're so lucky, I live so near yet I've never ever been to the Fringe. I've wanted to go but it can be quite costly, especially when you don't have a Job. I really can't wait, I'm planning on visiting Edinburgh soon though! I know Sheffield more than I do Edinburgh, which is strange. Well if that's how you started it's how you started it ^.^ I guess Anime is the main entrance into the Japanese culture, everyone has at least seen one anime in their lifetime ^.^ I'd love to go to Japan too, I'd love to just go to Asia I love that part of the world! Loads of people seem to do get scared but I find it rather exciting! I've never been outside of the UK and I find the idea of going somewhere completely new is extremely exciting! ^.^ Woooow your classmate is so lucky, my friend has a friend who recently went to Japan for 2 weeks and i was so envious hahah Anyone who gets the chance to go to Japan, South Korea and China are the luckiest of people I think ^.^
You're so lucky, I live so near yet I've never ever been to the Fringe. I've wanted to go but it can be quite costly, especially when you don't have a Job. I really can't wait, I'm planning on visiting Edinburgh soon though! I know Sheffield more than I do Edinburgh, which is strange. Well if that's how you started it's how you started it ^.^ I guess Anime is the main entrance into the Japanese culture, everyone has at least seen one anime in their lifetime ^.^ I'd love to go to Japan too, I'd love to just go to Asia I love that part of the world! Loads of people seem to do get scared but I find it rather exciting! I've never been outside of the UK and I find the idea of going somewhere completely new is extremely exciting! ^.^ Woooow your classmate is so lucky, my friend has a friend who recently went to Japan for 2 weeks and i was so envious hahah Anyone who gets the chance to go to Japan, South Korea and China are the luckiest of people I think ^.^

Aww you should definitely go one day ^^ if you go to the university then you'll already have the accommodation and there's so many fringe related jobs giving out fliers :smile:!!
Its great that you aren't scared :smile: I recently went to Rome and was overwhelmed by the people and street sellers that it's put me off a bit :'). Ill definitely go to Japan one day though!! I want to ride a shinkansen and talk to Japanese people in Japanese! ^^ although I get so nervous when talking to a new person in Japanese that I forget everything :')
Reply 8
Aww you should definitely go one day ^^ if you go to the university then you'll already have the accommodation and there's so many fringe related jobs giving out fliers :smile:!!
Its great that you aren't scared :smile: I recently went to Rome and was overwhelmed by the people and street sellers that it's put me off a bit :':wink:. Ill definitely go to Japan one day though!! I want to ride a shinkansen and talk to Japanese people in Japanese! ^^ although I get so nervous when talking to a new person in Japanese that I forget everything :':wink:

You're making me sway more to Edinburgh now, Jobs are a must-have and to be located near/at the Fringe is just going to be a bonus! ^.^ Wow Rome? So you've travelled before, wow you're so lucky! hahah you'll have to definetly go to Japan it's such an amazing country (well from everything I've heard, read and seen) and to speak with Japanese people in their langiage would be the best achievement for me and I think you too! I bet you're already really good at Japanese ^.^ That's me all the time with Chinese and Korean, I can understand long sentences but when I reply back the basics just come out and I hate it when that happens :O
You're making me sway more to Edinburgh now, Jobs are a must-have and to be located near/at the Fringe is just going to be a bonus! ^.^ Wow Rome? So you've travelled before, wow you're so lucky! hahah you'll have to definetly go to Japan it's such an amazing country (well from everything I've heard, read and seen) and to speak with Japanese people in their langiage would be the best achievement for me and I think you too! I bet you're already really good at Japanese ^.^ That's me all the time with Chinese and Korean, I can understand long sentences but when I reply back the basics just come out and I hate it when that happens :O

Haha ^^ have you visited both universities on an open day yet?
Yeah ^^ I've been quite lucky to go on nice holidays but I've never left Europe :smile:
Oh wow you speak Chinese and Korean?? Thats impressive ^^ there was a Korean student on my course last year and I loved talking to her about her culture, soo interesting ^^
Reply 10
Haha ^^ have you visited both universities on an open day yet?
Yeah ^^ I've been quite lucky to go on nice holidays but I've never left Europe :smile:
Oh wow you speak Chinese and Korean?? Thats impressive ^^ there was a Korean student on my course last year and I loved talking to her about her culture, soo interesting ^^

No not yet, sadly :frown: I'm planning on doing so soon ^.^ Have you been to other places in Europe? I've just never left the UK once :frown: Yea hahah I've been doing Korean for 2 yrs and started Chinese a few months ago. Thank you ^.^ Really?! There's like no Koreans (well I can't seem to find them) where I live, so i end up relying on TV Shows 24/7 to help my Korean ^.^ You got to meet a Korean, I'm envious of you now haha ^.^ Korea culture is extremely fascinating and Iove it ^.^ My goal is to learn Chinese, Korean and Japanese to fluency ^.^ People say I already am, but I don't like to think that... I'll only call myself fluent if I can pick a book up and be able to read it all with no hassle ^.^
Reply 11
I'll be applying for 2016 entry. I'd like to do Japanese + either Chinese or Korean.

I've been studying Japanese for about 1 and a half years already, so I'd like to continue with that as well as picking up a second and possibly a third language.

I've also looked at Sheffield, as well as Birmingham, SOAS, UEA and Newcastle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Cll_ws
I'll be applying for 2016 entry. I'd like to do Japanese + either Chinese or Korean.

I've been studying Japanese for about 1 and a half years already, so I'd like to continue with that as well as picking up a second and possibly a third language.

I've also looked at Sheffield, as well as Birmingham, SOAS, UEA and Newcastle.

Wow you'll know a lot of Japanese then! The Korean language is really beautiful but yet so is the Chinese, do you have any ideas of what one you're wanting to go for? or are you still in between ^.^ Yea I'm in the smilar boat as you, wanting to do all 3. I've looked at SOAS apparently it's courses are really intense and good. I've not really heard anything about Newcastle though ^.^ What got you into the Japanese language? ^.^
No not yet, sadly :frown: I'm planning on doing so soon ^.^ Have you been to other places in Europe? I've just never left the UK once :frown: Yea hahah I've been doing Korean for 2 yrs and started Chinese a few months ago. Thank you ^.^ Really?! There's like no Koreans (well I can't seem to find them) where I live, so i end up relying on TV Shows 24/7 to help my Korean ^.^ You got to meet a Korean, I'm envious of you now haha ^.^ Korea culture is extremely fascinating and Iove it ^.^ My goal is to learn Chinese, Korean and Japanese to fluency ^.^ People say I already am, but I don't like to think that... I'll only call myself fluent if I can pick a book up and be able to read it all with no hassle ^.^

Yeah I've been to France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Austria :smile: very lucky!!
I feel the same way with Japanese people, so hard to find!
Wow so you're almost fluent after two years? How often did you have lessons/revise? You must have a gift for languages :smile:
I hope that we can both find more Asian friends! I an always tempted to talk to the international society at university but I don't know how they'd react xD
Reply 14
Yeah I've been to France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Austria :smile: very lucky!!
I feel the same way with Japanese people, so hard to find!
Wow so you're almost fluent after two years? How often did you have lessons/revise? You must have a gift for languages :smile:
I hope that we can both find more Asian friends! I an always tempted to talk to the international society at university but I don't know how they'd react xD

Gosh that many countries?! I keep saying lucky a lot but you honestly are incredibly lucky to travel so much! I wouldn't say that ^.~ I had no life 2 years ago, I just studied Korean 24/7... I wish I found it earlier as now I have to involve studying Korean whilst studying for all my Highers haha learning languages are soo fun I just love it! No one has ever said that, thank you so much that's made me feel so much better ^.^ I hope so too, oh you should try! I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms, it'd be a lot of fun too.
Having confidence in approaching new people is what I lack in hahah
Are you already at University? ^.^
Gosh that many countries?! I keep saying lucky a lot but you honestly are incredibly lucky to travel so much! I wouldn't say that ^.~ I had no life 2 years ago, I just studied Korean 24/7... I wish I found it earlier as now I have to involve studying Korean whilst studying for all my Highers haha learning languages are soo fun I just love it! No one has ever said that, thank you so much that's made me feel so much better ^.^ I hope so too, oh you should try! I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms, it'd be a lot of fun too.
Having confidence in approaching new people is what I lack in hahah
Are you already at University? ^.^

Yeah i never realised it had been so many until I wrote then all down!
Ohh wow, so did you self teach or have a tutor?
Okay I'll do it :biggrin: I'm part of the peer mentor scheme and have asked to be given a Japanese mentee if possible ^^ fingers crossed.
Yeah I'm at Chester university studying health and social care ^^ I'm going into my second year and I love it :smile: then I do Japanese every week on a Tuesday ^^
Reply 16
Yeah i never realised it had been so many until I wrote then all down!
Ohh wow, so did you self teach or have a tutor?
Okay I'll do it :biggrin: I'm part of the peer mentor scheme and have asked to be given a Japanese mentee if possible ^^ fingers crossed.
Yeah I'm at Chester university studying health and social care ^^ I'm going into my second year and I love it :smile: then I do Japanese every week on a Tuesday ^^

Can you speak some French, Spanish, German etc.? ^.^ I've self-taught which surprises everyone, the Korean classes are so expensive plus everything is available online. People think self-teaching won't get you anywhere, I want to prove that theory wrong as I can proudly say that I can speak random conversations with Koreans, understand songs and shows (just a few bits and bobs i need to work on like my listening.) ^.^ You'll be able to do all of that with Japanese really soon (or you're already at it but you're not telling me ^.~), you seem to be really enthusiastic about Japanese and I bet you're really good at Japanese ^.^ You can do it haha wooow let's hope so ^.^ I'll have my finger crossed for you too ^.^ oooh really? that's so interesting, couldn't you join your degree with Japanese or is Japanese not available at your University?
Can you speak some French, Spanish, German etc.? ^.^ I've self-taught which surprises everyone, the Korean classes are so expensive plus everything is available online. People think self-teaching won't get you anywhere, I want to prove that theory wrong as I can proudly say that I can speak random conversations with Koreans, understand songs and shows (just a few bits and bobs i need to work on like my listening.) ^.^ You'll be able to do all of that with Japanese really soon (or you're already at it but you're not telling me ^.~), you seem to be really enthusiastic about Japanese and I bet you're really good at Japanese ^.^ You can do it haha wooow let's hope so ^.^ I'll have my finger crossed for you too ^.^ oooh really? that's so interesting, couldn't you join your degree with Japanese or is Japanese not available at your University?

I can speak some German from gcse but I never took to it as I didn't feel passionate about it.. I wish I'd tried harder though!
Oh wow that's really impressive, self teaching is a big challenge! How do you find learning pronunciation?
Thank you ^^ I recently watched the new studio ghibli film the tale of princess kaguya, have you seen/heard of it? I enjoyed it so much and it inspired me to try harder :smile:.
Unfortunately Chester doesn't do Japanese which is a shame!!! That would be so cool
Reply 18
I can speak some German from gcse but I never took to it as I didn't feel passionate about it.. I wish I'd tried harder though!
Oh wow that's really impressive, self teaching is a big challenge! How do you find learning pronunciation?
Thank you ^^ I recently watched the new studio ghibli film the tale of princess kaguya, have you seen/heard of it? I enjoyed it so much and it inspired me to try harder :smile:.
Unfortunately Chester doesn't do Japanese which is a shame!!! That would be so cool

Well you can definetly speak better German than me, I can only say hello. (how embaressing haha) I could say the same with French, I'd love to get into it but for some reason I don't feel passionate towards French :frown: or any european language? They are so good to learn and useful but I just don't enjoy them as much as I do with the Eastern-Asian ones (Btw it's Eastern Asia riiight... Korea, China, Hong Kong, Japan that sorta area haha) It's really easy the pronunctiation ^.^ You should try Korean I'll guarantee you'll love it like with Japanese! The languages are very similar but Japanese has 2 alphabets and Kanji ^.^ I've never heard it, what's it about? ^.^ Might watch it tomorrow haha awwk all Unis should do Asian Languages hahaha not many do :frown:
Hi hi :biggrin: Gonna apply to 2016 for Sheffield, Leeds, SOAS and Oxford Brookes :3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending