The Student Room Group

AS Level- History or English Literature?

Can anyone give me advice on which fourth AS subject to choose? I am already doing Chemistry, Biology and French and I can't decide between History and English Literature. I would say English is my stronger subject but I was really put off it when visiting college whereas History looked good, but I had my mind set to English!
Reply 1
it really depends on what you prefer, i did both and they are both a lot of work (lots of reading and essays obviously though this does depend on your teacher too) but i will say if youre not really passionate about the subject its easy to not do the extra reading and not do so well in the exam (this happened to me in english A2 i really didnt enjoy it and only ended up with a C)

i would recommend looking at the course content for each and maybe do a bit of research on the topics they cover and chose which you think you will enjoy more!
Reply 2
find out what books you'll be reading for english

find out what periods of history you'll be doing in history

whatever interests you more do it
Ditto ^. I was torn between choosing history or English lit. In the end I plumped for history and ended up with an A at AS. I did however find it a little tedious as the topics covered didn't interest me, so make sure you look in detail at the topics you are going to cover. With essay subjects it's essential that you enjoy studying them, so if you like the look of history more then go for it :smile:
Reply 4
I did both at AS this year, and I really enjoyed them. They are both difficult but I found English the most complex - it is almost impossible to do well in that without working hard from the beginning. However, don't let that put you off. If you are eligible to study both it shows that you should be able to handle it - looking at the texts in English and the periods in History might help your decision though. Go with what you find the most interesting, because it really is true that you will do better at the things you enjoy more. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest