The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Tips for people Commuting from Birmingham

Top Tips for Birmingham Commuters:

Get a student bus and train ticket. It will save you a ton on public transport. Its only £260 a term for unlimited travel. http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/student/student.aspx

If you want a seat on the the early virgin trains to London Euston there are usually seats towards the front of the train

Avoid taking London midland trains to Coventry as they will make a lot of stops and you will be sitting on the train for longer than you need to

Keep you stuff secure as pick pocketing is common around New Street station

If you want to go for a night out in Coventry make sure you can stay at a friends as taxi back home will cost a fortune. (unless you split the bill)

Useful apps - Never be late for class again
http://www.thetrainline.com/train-tickets/mobile-app/
http://networkwestmidlands.com/Apps/phone_app.aspx

Feel free to add any more advice you have

If you have any other questions just ask
Hi :smile:

I brought the £260 pass today to help me travel to Coventry.

I have a question, how would I avoid using the London Midland train in the mornings as I will have to catch the train at a certain time. Therefore, I'm not late to go to my lectures etc.

From where I live, I have managed to find a train journey where I don't have to get of the train as it will directly go through Coventry. I'm not too worried about evenings as I don't want to be late for my lectures etc.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymousxxxxxxx

I have a question, how would I avoid using the London Midland train in the mornings as I will have to catch the train at a certain time. Therefore, I'm not late to go to my lectures etc.

From where I live, I have managed to find a train journey where I don't have to get of the train as it will directly go through Coventry. I'm not too worried about evenings as I don't want to be late for my lectures etc.

It depends where you are catching the train from. My advice assume you are catching the train from New Street station.

Which train station are you near by?
Original post by Anonymousxxxxxxx

I think direct trains from Birmingham to Coventry can only be caught from New Street Station and Birmingham International. You will probably have to wake up early, catch a bus to New Street, and from there catch a direct train to Coventry. This is what I'll be doing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sabuntu
It depends where you are catching the train from. My advice assume you are catching the train from New Street station.

Which train station are you near by?

I'm catching the train from Sandwell & Dudley station, this will take me straight to Coventry and I won't have to get of the train etc.

I will be catching the 7:40 train and will arrive at 08:21.
Original post by Naveed-7
I think direct trains from Birmingham to Coventry can only be caught from New Street Station and Birmingham International. You will probably have to wake up early, catch a bus to New Street, and from there catch a direct train to Coventry. This is what I'll be doing.

Oh, okay. I have managed to find a direct train to Coventry from where I live. I'm catching the train from Sandwell & Dudley station. I will be catching the 7:40 train and will arrive at 08:21.
Reply 6
Original post by Sabuntu
Top Tips for Birmingham Commuters:

Get a student bus and train ticket. It will save you a ton on public transport. Its only £260 a term for unlimited travel. http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/student/student.aspx

If you want a seat on the the early virgin trains to London Euston there are usually seats towards the front of the train

Avoid taking London midland trains to Coventry as they will make a lot of stops and you will be sitting on the train for longer than you need to

Keep you stuff secure as pick pocketing is common around New Street station

If you want to go for a night out in Coventry make sure you can stay at a friends as taxi back home will cost a fortune. (unless you split the bill)

Useful apps - Never be late for class again
http://www.thetrainline.com/train-tickets/mobile-app/
http://networkwestmidlands.com/Apps/phone_app.aspx

Feel free to add any more advice you have

If you have any other questions just ask

Hello their, i would first thank you for this thread its
amazing:yy:

I wanted to ask im from walsall and i know that i will have to catch a train from walsall to birmingham. I wanted to ask is their à direct train from birmingham to coventry with actually no stops. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Brilliant post, i will be travelling from Birmingham to Leicester, can the card be used for this journey?
Reply 8
Hi I will be commuting from Dudley so i will catch the bus to wolverhampton train station and then the train from wolverhampton to coventry.
I have bought the £260 train an bus pass which is only available in the west midlands from Zones 1-5
Original post by missat
Hi I will be commuting from Dudley so i will catch the bus to wolverhampton train station and then the train from wolverhampton to coventry.
I have bought the £260 train an bus pass which is only available in the west midlands from Zones 1-5

Thats good. Can I ask you a question? Did you need to give any student proof, when you bought the £260 train and bus pass? What proof did you need to give?

I would like to buy the £260 pass too, but I dont know what student proof to give. I cant seem to be able to get hold of the student status letter.
Reply 10
All i needed was two passport size photos and the lady asked to see an email from coventry university
Original post by missat
All i needed was two passport size photos and the lady asked to see an email from coventry university

Oh, ok thanks.
I'll be catching the train from Sandwell & Dudley too!

Quick Reply

Latest