The Student Room Group

Midwife help?!!

Hi Guys, after passing 6 GCSEs including maths, english and 2 sciences (core and additional) at grade C I am happy to announce that i would like to become a midwife.
( just to say my gcse mocks were much better all A/B - only got Cs due to 3 months of very poor health which can be proven if need be)
My local college offers this BTECH course
Health and Social Care Level 3 90 Credit Diploma/Extended Diploma

This course is equivalent to 3 A levels not 2, BUT 3
You can either go down path 1- which focuses on nursing and midwifery or path 2 which is is social education but obviously I am going to want to go with PATH 1.
YES I KNOW MY GCSES WEREN'T THAT GREAT- but as i said this WAS due to poor health and I know I am more than capable of doing well in this course since i have very good English and maths skills despite the grades.

NOW my question is, if i want to go into a midwifery course at university (a reasonably good one)
Is this the best option I can do?
I know I am capable of achieving distinctions or above throughout and THIS IS WHAT I REALLY REALLY WANT TO DO FOR MY OCCUPATION!

So say if I did this course and got DDD or higher, would universities accept me for midwifery?
Also if anybody else has done this course, some tips and advice would be much appreciated- thank you.
Also if someone else could explain in a bit more detail what it involves, that would be helpful.
( Also, I have considered A levels but thought this would be better because it involves far more work experience than A levels could ever give me) Am i correct?
Thank you everybody for your time x
The best advice I could really give you is to check the uni websites to see which grades they accept.

It's worth bearing in mind that some of the Russell group unis aren't too keen on btecs.
Original post by Applescruff
The best advice I could really give you is to check the uni websites to see which grades they accept.

It's worth bearing in mind that some of the Russell group unis aren't too keen on btecs.

Definetly agree to check out requirements on ucas but as for Russell groups only three do midwifery all of which at least consider some BTECs for entry and all midwifery nmc regulated so it doesn't make a difference where in the league table a uni is generally.

Original post by jimjam247
Hi Guys, after passing 6 GCSEs including maths, english and 2 sciences (core and additional) at grade C I am happy to announce that i would like to become a midwife.
( just to say my gcse mocks were much better all A/B - only got Cs due to 3 months of very poor health which can be proven if need be)
My local college offers this BTECH course
Health and Social Care Level 3 90 Credit Diploma/Extended Diploma

This course is equivalent to 3 A levels not 2, BUT 3
You can either go down path 1- which focuses on nursing and midwifery or path 2 which is is social education but obviously I am going to want to go with PATH 1.
YES I KNOW MY GCSES WEREN'T THAT GREAT- but as i said this WAS due to poor health and I know I am more than capable of doing well in this course since i have very good English and maths skills despite the grades.

NOW my question is, if i want to go into a midwifery course at university (a reasonably good one)
Is this the best option I can do?
I know I am capable of achieving distinctions or above throughout and THIS IS WHAT I REALLY REALLY WANT TO DO FOR MY OCCUPATION!

So say if I did this course and got DDD or higher, would universities accept me for midwifery?
Also if anybody else has done this course, some tips and advice would be much appreciated- thank you.
Also if someone else could explain in a bit more detail what it involves, that would be helpful.
( Also, I have considered A levels but thought this would be better because it involves far more work experience than A levels could ever give me) Am i correct?
Thank you everybody for your time x

You can certainly get into midwifery with DDD and above, look at getting as much experience as you can in healthcare before applying. I think you re correct in your decision as experience is very important for healthcare degrees.
Afraid I m doing nursing not midwifery but if you look at nhs careers website it should give you plenty of info:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Definetly agree to check out requirements on ucas but as for Russell groups only three do midwifery all of which at least consider some BTECs for entry and all midwifery nmc regulated so it doesn't make a difference where in the league table a uni is generally.

You can certainly get into midwifery with DDD and above, look at getting as much experience as you can in healthcare before applying. I think you re correct in your decision as experience is very important for healthcare degrees.
Afraid I m doing nursing not midwifery but if you look at nhs careers website it should give you plenty of info:smile:

Thank You so much!! This was very helpful!
Much appreciated and I hope you have good time doing nursing! :smile:
Original post by jimjam247
Thank You so much!! This was very helpful!
Much appreciated and I hope you have good time doing nursing! :smile:

Glad to help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest