The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Ugh it is June, any international MPhil applicant who heard from the Trust?

I am also curious to know if we will be notified even when we do not receive funding. I cannot wait forever to make decisions for next year.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I received an offer from Cambridge but upon the condition that I get a 3.6. I graduated last month with a 3.54. I emailed them to let them know--anybody else have this situation?
How strict is Cambridge with the academic condition? If you have met all the conditions (financial undertaking, language test etc.) but may be short on your marks, how would this be met by the department? I know that they would still consider you, but what is the probability of being admitted, especially if your course is not the most competitive one at Cambridge?
Reply 2903
Still under consideration by the degree committee already several days into June; LAWDDD have mercy! :boring:
Original post by SethP
Still under consideration by the degree committee already several days into June; LAWDDD have mercy! :boring:

Relax. :smile: I had my interview a week before yours, and mine is still under consideration by the department.
Reply 2905
Original post by cameondecember
Relax. :smile: I had my interview a week before yours, and mine is still under consideration by the department.

Best of luck to the two of us then!
Original post by Alexander I
How strict is Cambridge with the academic condition? If you have met all the conditions (financial undertaking, language test etc.) but may be short on your marks, how would this be met by the department? I know that they would still consider you, but what is the probability of being admitted, especially if your course is not the most competitive one at Cambridge?

It's really difficult to say precisely. From my own experience with History MPhils, I know in the past that they have admitted people who were 1-2% short of the required standard overall (which was 67%); I gather they look at how your marks were distributed, and if you performed poorly in an area covered by the MPhil, then your chances would be slimmer I imagine. In the History courses, they look closely at dissertation marks for example, since these give some indication of how you performed at independent research, something that will be required for an MPhil, and at the marks for courses taken which cover the time period of the specified MPhil. As I said, I know of one or two people who were admitted who had just missed the required grade, but equally my supervisor mentioned several other cases of people who had missed the standard and hadn't been admitted. But calculating a precise probability is very difficult, since a number of factors are at play.
Did anyone apply for the MPhil in Genomic Medicine? If yes, how long did it take for you to hear back? I applied in March (granted sending the application in right before the Easter holidays won't have helped) but it's been a good two months and I haven't heard anything at all?
Reply 2908
Original post by john_z123
Ugh it is June, any international MPhil applicant who heard from the Trust?

I am also curious to know if we will be notified even when we do not receive funding. I cannot wait forever to make decisions for next year.

Second that question. Does anybody heard about the new round of the Trust funding? The website is stating that there is approximately 500 scholarships funded by the Trust, more or less, half of them are for the full amount (fees + maintenance). So there is around ~250 awards left. Since there is 254 awardees officially announced on the website (~9 of which are honorary awards, so no money attached to them) I am guessing that all of the full scholarships are given? Can someone please confirm that? The website is also stating that the list should be updated every two weeks, but I think it's not working like this. Some people in this forum said that their friends got the awards e-mail notifications long before the list was updated?

I know the website is saying that "Applicants are encouraged to meet the entry requirements of the University as early as possible, including (if necessary) the completion of an English language test.", but I would like to kindly ask you, if anybody has insides into this? I have a TOEFL passed with 107 mark, but missing 3 points in one section, thus the language condition is not meet by me yet (I need a 100 mark with 25 in each section). Is this a big no-no for the Trust?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
Original post by slawek
Second that question. Does anybody heard about the new round of the Trust funding? The website is stating that there is approximately 500 scholarships funded by the Trust, more or less, half of them are for the full amount (fees + maintenance). So there is around ~250 awards left. Since there is 254 awardees officially announced on the website (~9 of which are honorary awards, so no money attached to them) I am guessing that all of the full scholarships are given? Can someone please confirm that? The website is also stating that the list should be updated every two weeks, but I think it's not working like this. Some people in this forum said that their friends got the awards e-mail notifications long before the list was updated?

I know the website is saying that "Applicants are encouraged to meet the entry requirements of the University as early as possible, including (if necessary) the completion of an English language test.", but I would like to kindly ask you, if anybody has insides into this? I have a TOEFL passed with 107 mark, but missing 3 points in one section, thus the language condition is not meet by me yet (I need a 100 mark with 25 in each section). Is this a big no-no for the Trust?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Concerning your questions about the Trust, I believe all MPhil awards are only partial scholarships. This was said to me on this thread; also, in an email from the trust, they wrote:

Please be aware that we only offer part-cost awards for one-year degree courses.

Also the notification could come as late as July or August (which is much later than what was initially said):

Awards are being made on a daily basis, this will continue until July-August.

However, they added that:If you are successful you will hear from us soon

It should also be noted how selective the awards are, and how unlikely it is for any one individual to receive the award. If you look at the people who have received the award so far, most of them are Harvard, Yale, etc etc, types... Very high achievers. You should be realistic with how you compare to, say, a 4.0/4.0 Harvard alumni. Also, as you noted, there are about 250 remaining awards, but 80-90% will go to PhD's (so are you in the top 25 - 50 students of all the 1000's and 1000's of students that applied?). I would not depend on an award from the Trust. Either make plans to take out the exorbitant student loans or make plans to pursue higher education somewhere else. The only reason I say this is because I am in the same situation as you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys,
it's been almost 5 weeks since I did my interview with the POI. Did anyone's application take this long before you received your acceptance/rejection? I'm possessed by worry. :frown:
Reply 2911
Weirdest thing just happened in any of my application processes. Three weeks after my interview, my status just changed from "under consideration by the degree committee" to "Transfer for Consideration by Another Department."

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? :s-smilie:
Which department had you been aiming for?
Reply 2913
Original post by Camilli
Which department had you been aiming for?

Divinity, it was for the MPhil for Theology and Religious studies. Is it a good sign in anyway? I haven't found much luck in finding precedence for this, and I would like to assume the department which has my application now (no idea which, though a few guesses stand out) wanted/desired/requested the transfer?
(edited 7 years ago)
Obviously you were the perfect candidate-- for someone else. Sounds like they were trying to do everyone a favor.

There have been stories here of this kind of thing working out OK.
Reply 2915
Original post by Camilli
Obviously you were the perfect candidate-- for someone else. Sounds like they were trying to do everyone a favor.

There have been stories here of this kind of thing working out OK.

Hmmmm, well I appreciate the response and I am glad to hear similar stories have ended on a positive note. It's just a tad surprising is all, because it sort of came out of nowhere.
So something odd has happened.The supervisor I was assigned to for my MPhil in Physics resigned last week therefore I now have no supervisor.
Does this mean my offer still stands or is that grounds for the uni to withdraw their offer? I hope it's the former. Has anyone had similar experiences or know of someone that has?

Cheers :smile:
Hey, A2 exam taker here. I've applied to Birmingham, and I would assume I would have a reasonable chance of getting into Oxbridge for the postgraduate MPhil Political Thought and Intellectual History with a 2:1/1:1. However, what are my chances of getting in if I don't go to a Russell Group? Say, if I fail and have to go to my non-Russell Group uni insurance? I know university prestige matters, but to what extent? My insurance is Royal Holloway, which as far as non-RG unis go is still decent, both in rankings and prestige.

Likewise, has anyone here applied to Oxbridge post grad after finishing a non-RG uni? (Durham etc excluded)
Original post by Archdukes
Hey, A2 exam taker here...

Likewise, has anyone here applied to Oxbridge post grad after finishing a non-RG uni? (Durham etc excluded)

Of course. High grades, stellar references and a good research proposal are far more important. But by the time you get to that stage your interests may have changed and Cambridge might not be where you want to go, so don't spend too much time worrying about it at the moment.

Original post by NewtoIB123
So something odd has happened.The supervisor I was assigned to for my MPhil in Physics resigned last week therefore I now have no supervisor.
Does this mean my offer still stands or is that grounds for the uni to withdraw their offer? I hope it's the former. Has anyone had similar experiences or know of someone that has?

Happened to me - my offer still stood and they found me a new supervisor.
I'm sure that this is written on the website and has been answered before, but can anybody tell me when we have to pay tuition fees for MPhils? Does it have to be upfront or can it be in instalments?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending