The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex.D
That's a comforting thought!

Personally, I found the majority of the finance modules rather boring when compared to the economics modules. Have you considered the Finance and Economics program yourself?

I'll be applying to the exact same group + Nottingham.

Have you had any chance to start thinking about potential research ideas and/or topics you would like to focus on in particular throughout this Mphil?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 21
Original post by iCreptio
Have you had any chance to start thinking about potential research ideas and/or topics you would like to focus on in particular throughout this Mphil?

I wrote my undergrad dissertation on unconventional monetary policy, so it'll likely be that or, alternatively, the consequences of austerity.
Reply 22
Original post by Alex.D
I wrote my undergrad dissertation on unconventional monetary policy, so it'll likely be that or, alternatively, the consequences of austerity.

Sounds quite interesting!
Reply 23
Can anybody offer some insight into life at any of the graduate colleges at Cambridge?
Reply 24
Original post by econuggets
Can anybody offer some insight into life at any of the graduate colleges at Cambridge?

This might help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Cambridge_College_Pros_and_Cons
Reply 25
Anyone else going for American history? Or history in general?
Reply 26
Best of luck everyone! MPhil Economics applicant.
BSc Economics & Econometrics (First) from Bristol. (not taking GRE) (avg. 72 in third year)
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone! Do you know of an applicant being rejected after 'under consideration by degree committee'?
Reply 28
Original post by historynerd24
Applying for the Mphil in Modern British History.

Does anyone have experience/ knowledge of Christ's College? :smile:

At least we aren't competing at every institution! I'm applying for an Mphil in Modern European History and an Mphil in World History. :smile:
Hi everyone!
Anyone has any idea on how high can be said a high 2:1?
Original post by omgwhat
At least we aren't competing at every institution! I'm applying for an Mphil in Modern European History and an Mphil in World History. :smile:

Haha :u:
Can someone please help me!

I'm about to submit my application for the Gates Cambridge and Cambridge Trust scholarships.

My essays have several paragraphs as they have been written on word, but when I put it on the online GRADSAF form I can't add any spaces in between paragraphs and when I do the print preview it looks a bit messy since all the paragraphs are virtually combined into one.

Has anyone else run into this issue and resolved it? I've contacted the GRADSAF help people but they have not been too helpful as of late.

In addition, if the websites say 500 word limit but the form says 3100 max char with spaces, which should I stick to?

Thank you!!!!

----

I've also managed to add a load of spaces in between each paragraph, which makes it look like there is now a line between each paragraph in print preview.

If I am now over the character limit (due to this added spacing) but below the word limit, am I alright if it all appears in the same box on the print preview?
Reply 32
Original post by needurgenthelp
Can someone please help me!

I'm about to submit my application for the Gates Cambridge and Cambridge Trust scholarships.

My essays have several paragraphs as they have been written on word, but when I put it on the online GRADSAF form I can't add any spaces in between paragraphs and when I do the print preview it looks a bit messy since all the paragraphs are virtually combined into one.

Has anyone else run into this issue and resolved it? I've contacted the GRADSAF help people but they have not been too helpful as of late.

In addition, if the websites say 500 word limit but the form says 3100 max char with spaces, which should I stick to?

Thank you!!!!

----

I've also managed to add a load of spaces in between each paragraph, which makes it look like there is now a line between each paragraph in print preview.

If I am now over the character limit (due to this added spacing) but below the word limit, am I alright if it all appears in the same box on the print preview?

If I recall correctly, it will not allow you to submit the application if it's over the character limit. I had problems copying and pasting from word and there was one box I had to type out again in gradsaf :/
Reply 33
Good luck everyone! :smile:
Original post by omgwhat
Here is some useful information about applying for a History Masters at Cambridge:

I recently sent a long email about myself to a potential supervisor detailing who I am, what my general dissertation proposal is and how I am suited to it (ability to speak language, knowledge of primary sources and areas of interest). I asked if she would be interested and whether she would like a more detailed proposal. She got back to me in two days, with the intention of supervising me, and asked for an even more detailed version of my ideas.

At this stage, my proposal was already deemed detailed enough for the supervisors I contacted at Oxford and UCL, so make sure that you have a clear direction when approaching a Cambridge professor for a smoother process. You really need to woo them and be clear and attempt to stand out.

Just to say, the Cambridge History Faculty specifically says that MPhil applicants, if they wish to ask about potential supervisors, should contact the relevant MPhil director in the first instance (via the course secretary), rather than directly contacting supervisors themselves. I don't doubt some faculty members would be happy to receive communication from prospective MPhil students, but don't underestimate the vast increase in emails some faculty will receive if every MPhil applicant started writing directly! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
MPhil ISMM applicant here :wink:
Reply 36
Has anyone submit their application yet? I'm planning on approaching my lecturers about references tomorrow, any tips on what to say?
Reply 37
Original post by bbbeckyyy
Hi everyone!
Anyone has any idea on how high can be said a high 2:1?

I think at Cambridge this is 68%. Though it is worth mentioning that if you are applying in your final year, the official grade requirement may be a 2.1, but the final year grade of the offer could be a first.
Reply 38
Original post by gutenberg
Just to say, the Cambridge History Faculty specifically says that MPhil applicants, if they wish to ask about potential supervisors, should contact the relevant MPhil director in the first instance (via the course secretary), rather than directly contacting supervisors themselves. I don't doubt some faculty members would be happy to receive communication from prospective MPhil students, but don't underestimate the vast increase in emails some faculty will receive if every MPhil applicant started writing directly! :smile:

Mine seemed to be okay with it, she has even agreed to supervise my project and asked for an informal proposal and a meet up!
Original post by omgwhat
Mine seemed to be okay with it, she has even agreed to supervise my project and asked for an informal proposal and a meet up!

If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I did say that some faculty members would be happy to be contacted. But there is a reason that they ask MPhils to go through course directors first, which is to avoid avalanches of emails to prospective supervisors, not all of whom would be happy to be contacted by prospective MPhils directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending