The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Hello,

I know people are still posting in the 2015 entry forum, but i thought it might be useful to start a separate forum for 2016 entrants.

Applying for MPhil Economics, looking at Hughes Hall at the moment. Anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be applying for the MPhil Political Thought and Intellectual History. Not sure about colleges yet - St John's is amazing but competitive, Peterhouse is awesome too.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by nmorgan
I'll be applying for the MPhil Political Thought and Intellectual History. Not sure about colleges yet - St John's is amazing but competitive, Peterhouse is awesome too.

Sounds pretty exciting. Safe to say you're studying politics now then. Where are you at Uni? Mind sharing your profile?
Reply 3
Original post by econuggets
Sounds pretty exciting. Safe to say you're studying politics now then. Where are you at Uni? Mind sharing your profile?

Just graduated from a top 10 uni reading PPE. My profile is kinda odd really - my overall classification was the lowest first possible (67%) but in politics and philosophy my average was ~71% (safe to say I'm no economist). I think the biggest help to my application though is that my dissertation is directly related to my research proposal and I scored 80% for it.
Reply 4
Hey guys, I will be applying for Mphil Technology Policy, I still did not decide which college I should apply for yet.
Best of luck to you all :biggrin:
Reply 5
Applying for the MPhil Finance.

No idea which college yet.

Best of luck to everyone.
Applying for Mphil Finance as well:smile:

Wish the best guys
Reply 7
Hello All,

What are my chances getting a conditional offer for MPhil Technology Policy at JBS ? my profile:

Am doing electronics engineering with computer systems at the university of surrey. and I got a 2.1 (65%) in my second year (not proud of it).
I am an active member in many societies at the university (was a president of an international society).
I also have 1 year experience in a high tech company (placement year) and a few summer internships.

My initial plan is applying in February,until then I will have the time to prepare my application (references and personal statement), hopefully I will also have the chance to get a first in the fall semester (better than submitting my 2nd year grades).

I would gratefully appreciate any input or advice.
Applying for the Mphil in Modern British History.

Does anyone have experience/ knowledge of Christ's College? :smile:
Reply 9
I´m applying for the Mphil in economics also! :tongue:

Are you planning on doing the GRE?

And would you mind sharing your profile if possible?
Reply 10
Original post by iCreptio
I´m applying for the Mphil in economics also! :tongue:

Are you planning on doing the GRE?

And would you mind sharing your profile if possible?

Hey!

Good luck to you :biggrin:

A couple of people I know who got in for Economics, and Finance and Economics didn't take the GRE. We all went to the same University (Top 5 UK if you believe the league tables). I got 68% in first year and 70% in second year. I don't think I'll take the GRE. And yourself?
Reply 11
MPhil Economics applicant here also. Best of luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Alex.D
MPhil Economics applicant here also. Best of luck to everyone :smile:

You too! Do you mind sharing your profile?
Reply 13

Sure - I have just graduated from a BSc Financial Economics from Bangor University - nowhere near the top end of the ranking tables.

I averaged ~80% overall, was awarded a prize for outstanding performance and was VP of the econ society.

Pretty sure that you've got much more chance than me of getting an offer!
Reply 14
Original post by Alex.D
Sure - I have just graduated from a BSc Financial Economics from Bangor University - nowhere near the top end of the ranking tables.

I averaged ~80% overall, was awarded a prize for outstanding performance and was VP of the econ society.

I wouldn't be so sure, my grades aren't amazing and I'm not taking the GRE. I think with around 80% in an undergrad overall you stand a very good chance!

Are you planning on taking the GRE? And have you put any thoughts into what college you'll apply to (if you dont make an open application)?
Reply 15
I wouldn't be so sure, my grades aren't amazing and I'm not taking the GRE. I think with around 80% in an undergrad overall you stand a very good chance!

Are you planning on taking the GRE? And have you put any thoughts into what college you'll apply to (if you dont make an open application)?

Yeah, but you've got the advantage of coming from a good school - I assume that counts for quite a lot!

I won't be taking the GRE - I'm not sure that they consider it unless you're from a non-UK institution.

Are you planning on applying anywhere else?
Reply 16
Original post by Alex.D
Yeah, but you've got the advantage of coming from a good school - I assume that counts for quite a lot!

I won't be taking the GRE - I'm not sure that they consider it unless you're from a non-UK institution.

Are you planning on applying anywhere else?

Many of the forums I've read indicate that university background practically doesn't matter (as long as its a known university). Having done an undergrad in Financial Economics are you not temped to go for the Finance and Economics programme?

I think I will apply to Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, LSE. What about you?

Original post by Alex.D

I´m going to enter my third year of university in a few weeks - this is in the UK by the way.

My first year average is 82% and second year average is 86% with a strong focus on Econometrics and Mathematical Economics.

Also have some relevant ECs, including committee member of econ & finance society and a summer internship in an Investment Bank in London.

+ fluent in 4 languages

Thinking of applying to Oxford, Cambridge and LSE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Many of the forums I've read indicate that university background practically doesn't matter (as long as its a known university). Having done an undergrad in Financial Economics are you not temped to go for the Finance and Economics programme?

I think I will apply to Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, LSE. What about you?

That's a comforting thought!

Personally, I found the majority of the finance modules rather boring when compared to the economics modules. Have you considered the Finance and Economics program yourself?

I'll be applying to the exact same group + Nottingham.
Reply 19
Original post by iCreptio
I´m going to enter my third year of university in a few weeks - this is in the UK by the way.

My first year average is 82% and second year average is 86% with a strong focus on Econometrics and Mathematical Economics.

Also have some relevant ECs, including committee member of econ & finance society and a summer internship in an Investment Bank in London.

+ fluent in 4 languages

Thinking of applying to Oxford, Cambridge and LSE.

Looks like you have a strong profile! Where are you doing your undergrad, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest