The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah123.
Hi. Just thought I'd create a thread for people hoping to study law at uni & applying for 2016. What are people planning to write in their personal statements? & where will you be applying?

What made you consider law ?

Are you a confident person ?

Do you like debating?
Original post by Law-Hopeful
What is the UMS average of your top 3?

If it's below 85% then unfortunately I don't think you'd have much chance of getting invited to an interview at Cambridge.

But AAAB coupled with A*AA+ A2 predictions and an explanation of why your GCSE results are (relatively) low would put you in good stead for a competitive application for basically every university outside of Oxbridge.

For my highest 3 I have 84% UMS. But will my subjects be ok as I do politics, eng lang and history. My lowest (B) was in maths.
Original post by vis break
For my highest 3 I have 84% UMS. But will my subjects be ok as I do politics, eng lang and history. My lowest (B) was in maths.

Those subjects are absolutely fine.

As I mentioned before, all you need to do now is work on your PS; prep for the LNAT (although the extent to which the LNAT is something that can be prepared for is debatable); ensure you have A*AA+ A2 predictions; make sure your reference mentions your mitigating circumstances for your GCSEs and you'll be in a good position to submit a strong application to any university you want (bar Oxbridge, imo, maybe email Oxford about your GCSEs extenuating circumstances if you're dead set on Oxford, you have nothing to lose).

Best of luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
What universities are you all thinking about applying to?
Need help on my PS, am doing an epq and went to a summer school at Warwick in social science but struggling to put any of this into decent paragraphs and relating it to the law course :frown:

Any advice would be appreciated :colondollar:
Original post by Efoster221
Need help on my PS, am doing an epq and went to a summer school at Warwick in social science but struggling to put any of this into decent paragraphs and relating it to the law course :frown:

Any advice would be appreciated :colondollar:

I'm struggling on writing my personal statement as well :frown: I think the main thing is why you want to do the course and things you've done to show this & also skills you have which link to doing a law degree
Reply 26
Original post by anonlad
A*AA for UCL, KCL, Nottingham and Durham; AAA for Oxford

Oxford are very strict on their offer requirements, whereas KCL Durham and UCL would probably accept the equivalent grades (e.g. A*A*B, maybe A*AB depending on contextual information such as the school you attend)

Nottingham hand out AAB offers occasionally despite their conventional A*AA requirement (to people of low income backgrounds and/or people who do exceptionally well in the LNAT), this leads me to believe that Nottingham would be generous with accepting lower grades, although this is conjecture and I could be wrong

I think a lot of universities will allow you to drop a grade, although with the more prestigious law schools I would not bank on it - they are competitive and already hand out more offers than they have places available

I can confirm Durham in particular have no leiniency on their admissions grades bar those with exceptional cirumstances.
Reply 27
Original post by NOP97
I will be. I haven't really done much this Summer, so i'm just reading the 'Rule of Law' by Lord Bingham, reading over some newspapers/old cases, and trying to write my Personal Statement. Which I don't believe is particularly good... but I guess my school will help me out with that.

I haven't even prepared for the LNAT yet..

I was considering applying to QMOL, LSE, UCL, and two back-up options. AAAA in AS. (Maybe i'll give Oxford a punt if i'm well prepared by October)

What about you?

Why not apply to kcl?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm struggling on writing my personal statement as well :frown: I think the main thing is why you want to do the course and things you've done to show this & also skills you have which link to doing a law degree

The struggle :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by OHamdy
Why not apply to kcl?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe, but they always seem to reject everyone... Isn't their intake much lower than other Uni's?
Reply 30
I am planning to apply for Law (QMUL, Cardiff, Southampton, Sussex and going to try for Oxford..) and doing the LNAT in September!
I'm starting Law at UEA in September and I'm more than happy to give some advice to people. (I may not be much use to those applying to Oxbridge though...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by NOP97
Maybe, but they always seem to reject everyone... Isn't their intake much lower than other Uni's?

Not really, Kings is a competitive law school but no more so than some of the other universities you are applying to. I think you may be thinking of LSE, who do seem to reject people arbitrarily due to a lack of interview/admissions test, meaning they rely on a limited amount of information to separate the high standard of applicants. I would definitely recommend Kings, they let people off who under perform in the LNAT (although not significantly so) and are fast to get back to their applicants. Kings also has a very generous scholarship system, where around 1/3 of offer holders are awarded between £18k-27k
Original post by inthechaos
I'm starting Law at UEA in September and I'm more than happy to give some advice to people. (I may not be much use to those applying to Oxbridge though...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I'm interested in applying to the UEA! Any advice? & what grades did you get?
I was predicted AAAB but ended up with ABCD :s-smilie:
I reckon I can get A*AB next year (my A was 183 UMS, B was 5 marks off an A and next year's module looks better + I have a better teacher, the C was 2 off a B and I got the paper back which looks like I will be sending off for a remark). I also have a B in A Level Polish that I've done in Y11.
I have done Sutton Summer School at Durham which gets me a guaranteed offer, but it doesn't feel like it's for me and I couldn't get the grades (A*AA) anyway.
I think I'll be applying for York, Leeds (Access to Leeds would lower entry requirements to ABB), Newcastle and Leicester.
Bristol also looks really good to me, but they require an A in GCSE English which I don't have.

I'll be reading Eve Was Framed and The Rule of Law, I got some work experience at a law firm, took part in the Bar Mock Trial Competition and other bits, but I have barely got any of my personal statement done so far :eek:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, I am hopefully appling to Cambridge and Durham. I am stuck between tonnes of other unis for my other options though (Leeds, Bristol, Kent, Warwick, Exeter etc) :/
Our school made us make our personal statements acceptable in July but it still needs lots of work! Basically writing about books, new legislation I have found interesting, work experience, voluntary stuff etc. I just finished Eve was Framed and I really enjoyed it! Not sure how impressive it would be only ps though given its popularity and ease of reading!
[deleted]
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 37
Hey, I just wanted to know if I have a decent chance of applying for law at universities such as Bristol, Exeter, Birmingham, York, SOAS etc

For AS I got AABB in History, Politics, Chemistry and English Lit respectively, although my Chemistry grade was one UMS from an A so I have sent it off for a remark. I am going to drop English lit and carry on with the first three. My predicted grades will be AAA or higher regardless of chemistry staying the same.

For GCSE I didn't get amazing grades, I got 3 A's, 5 B's and a C.

With a strong personal statement and a good LNAT performance would I have a good chance of securing offers at the universities I have stated and similar?

Thanks all advice would be welcome.
Reply 38
Original post by anonlad
Not really, Kings is a competitive law school but no more so than some of the other universities you are applying to. I think you may be thinking of LSE, who do seem to reject people arbitrarily due to a lack of interview/admissions test, meaning they rely on a limited amount of information to separate the high standard of applicants. I would definitely recommend Kings, they let people off who under perform in the LNAT (although not significantly so) and are fast to get back to their applicants. Kings also has a very generous scholarship system, where around 1/3 of offer holders are awarded between £18k-27k

Wow. Thanks for letting me know, will definitely consider Kings then.

It's in a fantastic area, local to me too. Appreciated.

As for the LNAT, what's the best way to prepare?
Hi I'm interested in applying to the UEA! Any advice? & what grades did you get?

Hey! I got ABCC (I have 3 A Levels because I did an extra year at sixth form) unfortunately due to some extenuating circumstances, but to make up for it I did a lot of extra-curricular work like a national mock trial competition, a summer school at UEA and volunteer work in Kenya. This is definitely not the norm though! They do seem to like people who aren't just your typical applicant with purely academic achievements, they want you to talk a bit about what else you do and what else you're proud of in your life. I'd definitely suggest going to an open day too, obviously some people don't like it because it's a concrete jungle BUT you'll also get to see the Law School, which is in a really cute listed building which was Elizabeth Fry's home! I start on the 20th September so if you want, I could send you a bit more on what it is actually like then? If you want to know what timetables are like and reading lists, I think I get them soon. Message me if I can help anymore!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending