The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonlad
Last year I got 5 Law offers (all LNAT universities) - feel free to message me for some LNAT & law application advice xxx

Wow what unis! How would you advise me to practice lnat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For gcse I got 2 A's, 5 b's, 3 c's an 2 e's but for As I got AABC. am i seen as a weak candidate an will the lnat help in y case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys

I got ABD which was a little disappointing. Should I even bother applying to any Russell group's with predictions of ABB?
I have work experience in a chambers and I've read books relating to Law if it helps. Thanks!
Original post by LoveSandu
Hi guys

I got ABD which was a little disappointing. Should I even bother applying to any Russell group's with predictions of ABB?
I have work experience in a chambers and I've read books relating to Law if it helps. Thanks!

Yes, definitely! Have a look at the Access to Leeds scheme, it makes the offer 2 grades lower (so ABB), you might be eligible for it! It's what I hope to do.
Original post by NOP97
I will be. I haven't really done much this Summer, so i'm just reading the 'Rule of Law' by Lord Bingham, reading over some newspapers/old cases, and trying to write my Personal Statement. Which I don't believe is particularly good... but I guess my school will help me out with that.

I haven't even prepared for the LNAT yet..

I was considering applying to QMOL, LSE, UCL, and two back-up options. AAAA in AS. (Maybe i'll give Oxford a punt if i'm well prepared by October)

What about you?

I'm reading 'Rule of Law' too and I love it! Also I went the Cambrigde Sixth Form Law Conference and almost every lecture told us to read 'What About Law' so I'd say read that too!

I have AAAB in As but hoping to get a remark as 2 marks off an A! Wanting to go to Bristol, possibly oxbridge bur dont know if its worth applying, Warwrick, Durham, Nottingham, Exeter ans UEA. My predicted grades at currently AAA, but my English teacher says theyll review it after the first few weeks as I got 89% in my AS exam so hopefully my predicted grades will be A*AA!!

Does anyone know what a good scor3 on the LNAT is tho? I got 25/42 on my firdt practise but thats barely half so not too sure?
When. Is the deadline for law applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know if uni's like Bristol, LSE, Durham, Oxford, Warwick, Eexter, UCL and KCL have a no-resit policy for Law? (as in they wouldn't accept someone doing resits?)
Reply 47
Original post by Sheldor
Does anyone know if uni's like Bristol, LSE, Durham, Oxford, Warwick, Eexter, UCL and KCL have a no-resit policy for Law? (as in they wouldn't accept someone doing resits?)

Re-sitting certain exams within a 2 year A Level period is absolutely fine for all of those, however if you plan on re-sitting A2's or re-taking an entire year, this will not be looked at favourably as you have spilled over into a third year of A Levels. That said, your application will still be considered, just your chances of being offered a place are that much slimmer
Reply 48
Original post by LoveSandu
Hi guys

You would get into Liverpool with those grades - though if you are considering Bristol, Exeter, etc etc. It is likely you'd need to resit - otherwise I reckon Liverpool or UEA would be great choices and totally doable
Reply 49
Original post by liviward36
I'm reading 'Rule of Law' too and I love it! Also I went the Cambrigde Sixth Form Law Conference and almost every lecture told us to read 'What About Law' so I'd say read that too!

I have AAAB in As but hoping to get a remark as 2 marks off an A! Wanting to go to Bristol, possibly oxbridge bur dont know if its worth applying, Warwrick, Durham, Nottingham, Exeter ans UEA. My predicted grades at currently AAA, but my English teacher says theyll review it after the first few weeks as I got 89% in my AS exam so hopefully my predicted grades will be A*AA!!

Does anyone know what a good scor3 on the LNAT is tho? I got 25/42 on my firdt practise but thats barely half so not too sure?

25 is great - the average is around 21/22 (or atleast it was when I did it) so anything above that it good :smile:
Hi guys! Basically I'm stressing out aha. I didnt do as well as I wanted on my AS - ABBB, and I have no idea yet what my predicted grades will be, hopefully praying for AAA. If I do get AAA, shall I still apply to places like Nottingham (Notts is my dream) which want A*AA? My GCSES were 5A*'s and 5A*'s .. And I've done some great work experience and my personal statement isn't too bad, I'm trying to make it extra fab! LNAT prep is....going, but I should be okay.... I think? HELP?!
Reply 51
Starting at Bristol this September, have done the LNAT twice too - so any questions, I'm happy to help :smile:
Reply 52
What are the best universities for law l can I apply to with this grades? I'm worried about aiming too high and not getting offers due to mediocre AS results

A overall History A Level (did it in one year)
A English
B Physics
C Maths
D Further Maths (being dropped)

6A*s and 5As at GCSE

Hoping I can pull up my grades in Physics and Maths to As this year
Reply 53
Original post by adegunt
Hi guys! Basically I'm stressing out aha. I didnt do as well as I wanted on my AS - ABBB, and I have no idea yet what my predicted grades will be, hopefully praying for AAA. If I do get AAA, shall I still apply to places like Nottingham (Notts is my dream) which want A*AA? My GCSES were 5A*'s and 5A*'s .. And I've done some great work experience and my personal statement isn't too bad, I'm trying to make it extra fab! LNAT prep is....going, but I should be okay.... I think? HELP?!

You should, why not? The average for Notts is A*AA, but there are cases for students to get in with AAA or even AAB (though a bit rare). Try your very best to get better A2 results and also your LNAT. Stay calm, you still have a chance.
Original post by adegunt

They will want to see that you are on track to meet their offer. From your GCSEs/ASs it does seem that you are on track to meet their offer, but if your teachers are predicting you AAA that shows that your teachers disagree, which could be a red-flag.

Alternatively, they could look beyond your predicted grades and decide for themselves.

I recommend that you do your best to get predicted an A* in the subject you got an A in at AS. Tell that teacher that the course you want to do needs A*AA so it would be very helpful if you were to be predicted A*AA+.

Failing that, email Nottingham's admissions office and ask them.

FWIW, I think your AS grades are very good and justify a prediction of A*AA (most colleges have a policy of predicted one grade above, so ABB -> A*AA predictions is very common afaik).
Original post by Wrf95
Starting at Bristol this September, have done the LNAT twice too - so any questions, I'm happy to help :smile:

Hey! I was considering applying for Bristol!
What grades did you get and how did you practice for the LNAT?
Reply 56
Original post by michaelzz
Hey! I was considering applying for Bristol!
What grades did you get and how did you practice for the LNAT?

A*A*B - for the LNAT I looked at past papers and wrote out exam structures on how i'd answer each of them - and then used Mark Shepherd's 'Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law' to practice the multiple choice questions, and came out with 29
Original post by Wrf95
A*A*B - for the LNAT I looked at past papers and wrote out exam structures on how i'd answer each of them - and then used Mark Shepherd's 'Mastering the National Admissions Test for Law' to practice the multiple choice questions, and came out with 29

Thank you so much!
I got AABC in AS's and hope for targets of AAA/AAB. I wish to apply to Bristol, Cardiff, Warwick, Birmingham and Liverpool as a back up. Any chances of offers being made?
Reply 59
Original post by michaelzz
Thank you so much!

No worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending