The Student Room Group

Failed AS levels, will Colleges/6th Form allow me to retake?

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this.
Basically, this year hasnt been too great to me in terms of AS levels.
The A levels I chose were: Maths, Business, ICT, and Geography; and I got U's in all of them.
I deseprately want to carry on with A levels, and God willing, get to University. I have put up a brave face to my loved ones, but honestly deep inside, I feel depressed.
Anyways, I know retaking is my only option right now, but the thing is I want to carry on with AS Maths, and even though I failed at it, I believe if I try harder I can achieve a good grade from it (btw I know why I messed up this year).
Along with this information, I also have the following GCSEs: ABBBBCCCC (Maths, English Lang, English Lit, History, ICT, Bio, Chem, Physics, Panjabi).
Now knowing all this, do you think it's possible if other colleges/6th forms will take me in, and allow me to retake Maths again?
Thank you for reading this, and apologies if I worded it badly.
What do u wanna do at uni?
Hi, I'm kinda torn between doing Accounting and Finance at Uni or Mathematics at Uni.
Original post by ILoveChicken
What do u wanna do at uni?
Original post by L3ARN_HARD3R
Hi, I'm kinda torn between doing Accounting and Finance at Uni or Mathematics at Uni.

Have a word with your school and ask, if no then apply to do them at another college.
Already did, they basically said that I can retake, but I have to do 3 BTECS. Im not interested in doing BTECS, I told em that, and they said that if this is the case then applying to other places. But Im just not sure if other places will take me in, I mean my AS results are bad, but I hope that my GCSEs may persuade them. Btw, thank you for responding.
Original post by ILoveChicken
Have a word with your school and ask, if no then apply to do them at another college.
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this.
Basically, this year hasnt been too great to me in terms of AS levels.
The A levels I chose were: Maths, Business, ICT, and Geography; and I got U's in all of them.
I deseprately want to carry on with A levels, and God willing, get to University. I have put up a brave face to my loved ones, but honestly deep inside, I feel depressed.
Anyways, I know retaking is my only option right now, but the thing is I want to carry on with AS Maths, and even though I failed at it, I believe if I try harder I can achieve a good grade from it (btw I know why I messed up this year).
Along with this information, I also have the following GCSEs: ABBBBCCCC (Maths, English Lang, English Lit, History, ICT, Bio, Chem, Physics, Panjabi).
Now knowing all this, do you think it's possible if other colleges/6th forms will take me in, and allow me to retake Maths again?
Thank you for reading this, and apologies if I worded it badly.

I was in the same situation as you, same GCSEs, same AS grades and i'm going into my masters year at Durham Uni dont give up :smile:
Reply 6
I would consider self-studying for your AS/A2 and do the exams as an external candidate at school, college or exam centre.

Wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, that has certainly given me some relief :biggrin:
Original post by TunaTunnel
I was in the same situation as you, same GCSEs, same AS grades and i'm going into my masters year at Durham Uni dont give up :smile:
Thanks! I didnt know I could do that :h:
Original post by Nye2001
I would consider self-studying for your AS/A2 and do the exams as an external candidate at school, college or exam centre.

Wish you the best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, that has certainly given me some relief :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250

Worth a read :smile:
My son did badly in his AS exams and was allowed to redo the year and didn't do much better and was told to do BTECS however an excellent, large college has told me he can start all over again and do what he wants. My son is like you and refuses to go down the BTEC route and really wants to do well in his A levels (this will now take 4 years!!). Some colleges want to see determination to succeed. Best of luck!
It was DEFINATELY worth the read! This thread has just boosted my confidence, from finishing this article my confidence has increased, and I feel less depressed and more happy. Thank you so much for showing me this link! :smile:
It was DEFINATELY worth the read! This thread has just boosted my confidence, from finishing this article my confidence has increased, and I feel less depressed and more happy. Thank you so much for showing me this link! :smile:

Its fine, I wrote it. If you got any questions just ask.
Thanks for responding Wendy! Knowing that a college offered your son a place, does give me confidence that hopefully I will have an offer. I hope your son aces his A levels!
Original post by wendyfreckles
My son did badly in his AS exams and was allowed to redo the year and didn't do much better and was told to do BTECS however an excellent, large college has told me he can start all over again and do what he wants. My son is like you and refuses to go down the BTEC route and really wants to do well in his A levels (this will now take 4 years!!). Some colleges want to see determination to succeed. Best of luck!
You wrote that! Bro, I have to say that that post was motivating. I wish you the best at Uni man, I know you'll smash it. I will definately bookmark that link. And thank you for your help, I'll definately ask you if I require help.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Its fine, I wrote it. If you got any questions just ask.
Thanks for sharing this link - what an inspirational story.
Thanks for responding Wendy! Knowing that a college offered your son a place, does give me confidence that hopefully I will have an offer. I hope your son aces his A levels!

You're welcome! I am happy to give you some hope. With such an attitude such as yours I have no doubt of it! Just research all your local colleges and speak to advisors who are around at the moment to advise and guide. Since speaking to several colleges I have found a massive variation in attitudes and my son's school told him a pack of lies because they only want the "best" and aren't interested in him. Hopefully you will find one that is as positive as you are. Just make sure your drive and determination to succeed comes across when you speak to them. I am wondering if you were studying within a high achieving school at 6th Form - as was my son. Colleges seem to have a much more positive outlook and seem to take into account attitude and a need to succeed over grades.

Thank you for your kind words - my poor son is so down at the moment but another thing we've been told about is Access to Higher Education if all else fails. These one year courses are for 19+ and are excellent. My sister is currently studying for her Doctorate and says that A levels are the hardest exams you will ever do and once you get your degree they are so unimportant! There are many routes to a degree but I completely understand your need to go down the traditional route. My son is equally stubborn :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest