The Student Room Group

Do you play an instrument?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tootles44
Wow that's impressive! I'm sure you'll pick up guitar very quickly if you do start it, go for it if you want :smile:

Compared to the others on the post its not even close to their standard! Do you play any instruments?
Reply 21
Original post by Holly.Hodgson99
Compared to the others on the post its not even close to their standard! Do you play any instruments?

No I don't unfortunately, but Ive always wanted to learn piano

I think I'm a little too old to start now though!

No no, go for it! Better late than never!
Original post by Holly.Hodgson99
I've played piano for 10yrs now, and I sat my Gr4 in July, and got a merit ^^. I sit Gr5 theory soon then I have the practical Summer 2016. I've played trombone for 8yrs, but I have never bothered to do grades in that, and I have only been doing euphonium for 1yr. I want to start guitar, but it looks really hard, and it's completely different to what I usually play. Should I? :tongue:

I always love learning completely new instruments - great fun :smile: and huzzah a fellow trombonist :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I do Piano and Euphonium, but haven't really played since the beginning of exams. I'll be taking the euph up to uni with me though.
Piano grade 8, singing grade 6 and flute grade 6. I only take piano lessons now though

Never too old to jam out man

Posted from TSR Mobile
I play guitar and bass at the moment. Started ~4 years ago but I practice pretty irregularly so I don't play as well as I'd like to. Self taught because lessons are expensive but I'd like to have them someday. Not sure how grades are measured for those instruments but maybe grade 4-ish in playing. No theory or sight reading talent to speak of...
I play the violin and I'm doing my Grade 6 soon, but I never practise lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I play piano (grade 6), clarinet (grade 5), flute (ungraded, just for fun) and I taught myself guitar, I've also done theory grade 5, and I'm hoping to start cello at some point but I'm not too sure. I'm also not too terrible (but not very good) at percussion as my brother is a drummer and his kit is in our front room
Which one and to what grade? :smile:

Violin and Saxophone.

Violin only done up to grade 6 because I didn't have time to do any more but I'm grade 8 standard.

Saxophone haven't done any grades for the same reason but I'm about grade 5-6 standard :smile:
Bought a guitar 2 years ago because I wanted a hobby and to feel like I'm good at something...but it never happened(I gave up) and it now just sits there in the corner of the room.

Would love to know how to play it though.
Reply 32
I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and have achieved grade 5 at a merit and grade 4 at a distinction. I haven't done any other exams because in grade 1, my teacher moved me up three grades to grade 4 because I was playing at such a high standard :biggrin: So I didn't finish grade 1 and I didn't do grades 2 or 3, which is why it has only taken 4 years to get to grade 6 :tongue:
Reply 33
Piano to grade 8 and play clarinet for fun. I'm trying to teach myself guitar now (but not very successfully!!) :smile:
I play clarinet at about grade 5/6, but I gave up on grades three years ago and, with practice, I can play grade 7 pieces. I mainly play Jazz, Blues and swing and play in a band with a few friends. I especially love a bit of Charles Mingus! 😃 I also dabble in guitar and piano. Not great, but they're useful for writing music. You try working out chord progressions on a clarinet!!! 😉
Used to play the guitar but lost it a bit over the past two years. Started self teaching again this summer but my finger flexibility is awful.

Quick Reply

Latest