The Student Room Group

Are these A-levels okay to pick for oxbridge?

I would like to study either chemistry at oxford or architecture at Cambridge. My plan was to choose chemistry, maths, history and fine art at a-level. Are these subjects good enough, particularly for chemistry?
Reply 1
Fine art seems a little out of place. Anything you could replace it with?
Original post by glacelens
I would like to study either chemistry at oxford or architecture at Cambridge. My plan was to choose chemistry, maths, history and fine art at a-level. Are these subjects good enough, particularly for chemistry?

Yes, but it's worth double checking with both departments by emailing them.
Original post by Oli T-H
Fine art seems a little out of place. Anything you could replace it with?

Some Cambridge colleges require fine art
Reply 4
For Architecture some Oxbridge colleges require/prefer Physics

You could be a little more competitive with another science biology/physics, or even further maths, if your thinking of doing chemistry :biggrin:
Reply 6
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't fancy doing five a-levels so would it be better to do further maths instead of history?
Reply 7
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't fancy doing five a-levels so would it be better to do further maths instead of history?

You'd be better settling on Architecture OR Chem. They are, obviously, quite different and ideally need a different set of A-levels.

What about Engineering instead of Architecture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Yes FM is helpful for Sciences (and architecture).

Also, consider The Bartlett for Architecture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes FM is helpful for Sciences (and architecture).

Also, consider The Bartlett for Architecture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick learner. :biggrin:

If you eventually decide to read Architecture, History is actually not a bad subject for it, though it's completely useless if you choose to read Chemistry. Further Maths is not that vital for Architecture (but it is if you're persuaded by @jneill's suggestion for Engineering) = the reason many civil engineers hate architects for designing that completely ignores law of physics
and maths:tongue:

So yeah, you'll be better off if you make up your mind asap.
Good luck! :smile:

EDIT: This is not a confirmed info at all, so please take this with a pinch of salt.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by vincrows
Quick learner. :biggrin:

I considered architecture many many many (many) years ago... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I considered architecture many many many (many) years ago... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, yes, I clearly forgotten you told me that.
Now I can proof @C0balt I wasn't plugging the Bartlett for whatever the reason she might be thinking. :wink:
Original post by jneill

xxxxx

Forgot to ask.....
Were they good in the olden days. too?
Reply 14
Original post by vincrows
Forgot to ask.....
Were they good in the olden days. too?

I never got close back then. But was aware of the reputation more recently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending