The Student Room Group

Cambridge safer with good UMS?

I had planned on applying to Oxford for History, but since my AS results I'm not sure where I would have the best chance of acceptance. I got 97% UMS across my top three, and 94% overall, but obviously Oxford don't worry care so much about this.

Can anyone explain automatic pooling to me? I read that if you have a certain UMS then you are automatically pooled. But does this mean you are just sure to be pooled if you are not accepted as a 'first pick' anyway?

Do high UMS scores make up for, say, a weaker interview or reference or whatever?

It's kind if frustrating to feel I did well in my exams, but that maybe Oxford wouldn't recognise that. Maybe somebody here could even tell me if that is even true, though?

Whereas it seems I already have something down that Cambridge will definitely value, and therefore I could, for arguments sake, have a bit more leeway somewhere else in the application.

Any advice on at all much appreciated! Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by MouseyBrown
I had planned on applying to Oxford for History, but since my AS results I'm not sure where I would have the best chance of acceptance. I got 97% UMS across my top three, and 94% overall, but obviously Oxford don't worry care so much about this.

Can anyone explain automatic pooling to me? I read that if you have a certain UMS then you are automatically pooled. But does this mean you are just sure to be pooled if you are not accepted as a 'first pick' anyway?

Do high UMS scores make up for, say, a weaker interview or reference or whatever?

It's kind if frustrating to feel I did well in my exams, but that maybe Oxford wouldn't recognise that. Maybe somebody here could even tell me if that is even true, though?

Whereas it seems I already have something down that Cambridge will definitely value, and therefore I could, for arguments sake, have a bit more leeway somewhere else in the application.

You should be applying to whichever course and university you prefer. If you prefer the Oxford course and univeristy then you should apply there, regardless of UMS. You can opt to give universities your UMS scores regardless of whether they require them. 97% is a top score and they would undoubtedly take this into account at Oxford.

If the college you applied to decide not to give you a direct offer, they have to put you in Winter Pool if your average UMS is 93% or higher. That's Auto-Pooling.
And yes, if you have a very high UMS, it can help you even if your performance at interviews weren't very good. But there's no guarantee it will, because they always look at all aspects of application individually and holistically. There's no set rule or weighting for how much each aspect is taken into account.

If you want to find out about how their selection process work, you can find most of info here and also other pages in the section.
https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/section1/1_6.html

But as @Ozark already said, it's not a good idea to choose university only because you think they're easier to get into. The content of the course and the way they teach it should be the reason you choose them. Nothing else is more important.
Reply 3
Thanks both.....as I think I know really, I should just go for the course I really want, at the uni I really want, and give it my best whether it's 'harder' or not to get in.

Keep it simple!

Thanks.
Reply 4
Thanks both.....as I think I know really, I should just go for the course I really want, at the uni I really want, and give it my best whether it's 'harder' or not to get in.

Keep it simple!

Thanks.

This is true and as somebody who has scored so highly you will probably also interview well & have a high chance of an offer at either place.

However I do have some sympathy for those who wish to maximise their Oxbridge chances. They say many NatSci end up taking completely different options and even swap between thinking they wanted biological or physical emphasis. So it doesn't seem unlikely to me that spotting which course you will enjoy most is not as easy as it is made out to be. Then there is the question do you prefer your "second choice" Oxbridge course and teaching method (where you may have a higher chance of an offer) to your second UCAS choice-Durham or Bristol's course or whatever?
Reply 5
Original post by Colmans
This is true and as somebody who has scored so highly you will probably also interview well & have a high chance of an offer at either place.

However I do have some sympathy for those who wish to maximise their Oxbridge chances. They say many NatSci end up taking completely different options and even swap between thinking they wanted biological or physical emphasis. So it doesn't seem unlikely to me that spotting which course you will enjoy most is not as easy as it is made out to be. Then there is the question do you prefer your "second choice" Oxbridge course and teaching method (where you may have a higher chance of an offer) to your second UCAS choice-Durham or Bristol's course or whatever?

That's exactly it. I would take 'just' history at Oxford rather than my favourite course, history and politics, at my second or third choice. I'm sure I would still love the degree at the way you are taught it. That's why it's not totally straight forward to decide!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending