The Student Room Group

A Levels or IB for American Universities?

I've already posted this thread somewhere else but no one answered so I'll try here instead :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm going into year 11 this year and have always had an interest in studying at an American University rather than a British one. I study currently at a comp in Wales where no-one has ever even applied to an american university before so if I were to stay here then my chances of receiving much help would be low. I know I'm only inyear 11 but I'm posting this now so I know whether I'd be better off studying the IB? I'm currently applying to UWC as it's the only IB school I can find that offers good scholarships ( I can't afford the fees of private schools). I'm just asking whether I'd be better off studying a levels (probably in Maths , Further Maths , Chemistry , Physics , Economics and the Welsh Bacc) or applying to schools to study the IB with regards to getting into a good american uni such as Princeton or Yale? Also , does anyone know any good websites that offer advice for British Students applying to American Unis ? The only ones I've found so far are for americans living in the uk applying to them?If a similar page already exists and I've basically just repeated a thread that someone else has already made or something , could someone please direct me to it? Thanks Thanks
I can't offer much in terms of whether they prefer A-levels or IB but I doubt it matters too much. Take whatever you feel you can do better in. It may be a good idea to go to UWC and do the IB as I'm sure UWC can probably offer you far more support and advice in regards to studying abroad in America.
Depends on where you wanna go, I'm assuming there's a bunch of schools that would accept A-levels, and if they are the schools you wanna go to, I'd just say save yourself the stress and do IB. However all my friends that went to the States for uni either did IB or AP (I'm guessing that isn't too big in Wales)

But yeah definitely start looking up the courses and places you wanna study and see what they require, and defo check out finance options if your parents aren't gonna be helping you out with the mad tuition over there
Original post by alexschmalex
Depends on where you wanna go, I'm assuming there's a bunch of schools that would accept A-levels, and if they are the schools you wanna go to, I'd just say save yourself the stress and do IB. However all my friends that went to the States for uni either did IB or AP (I'm guessing that isn't too big in Wales)

But yeah definitely start looking up the courses and places you wanna study and see what they require, and defo check out finance options if your parents aren't gonna be helping you out with the mad tuition over there

Thanks for the reply!! :h::h:

Pretty much every course I've looked at in the states (science ones at Princeton , Brown , Berkley etcetera) accept both.. I'm just thinking the breadth of the IB would be better considering how many subjects americans carry on with until the end of high school... Also with tuition I've looked and considering my family's financial situation it would pretty much be the same price , if not cheeper , for me to study in the states...

and nah , AP ain't huge over here...
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
I've already posted this thread somewhere else but no one answered so I'll try here instead :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm going into year 11 this year and have always had an interest in studying at an American University rather than a British one. I study currently at a comp in Wales where no-one has ever even applied to an american university before so if I were to stay here then my chances of receiving much help would be low. I know I'm only inyear 11 but I'm posting this now so I know whether I'd be better off studying the IB? I'm currently applying to UWC as it's the only IB school I can find that offers good scholarships ( I can't afford the fees of private schools). I'm just asking whether I'd be better off studying a levels (probably in Maths , Further Maths , Chemistry , Physics , Economics and the Welsh Bacc) or applying to schools to study the IB with regards to getting into a good american uni such as Princeton or Yale? Also , does anyone know any good websites that offer advice for British Students applying to American Unis ? The only ones I've found so far are for americans living in the uk applying to them?If a similar page already exists and I've basically just repeated a thread that someone else has already made or something , could someone please direct me to it? Thanks Thanks

DUDE, IF YOU GET INTO UWC GO!!!!

I applied and got a place at UWC Costa Rica - through the british national committee - but unfortunately didn't get a scholarship. Forget anything about A-levels vs IB, it is a fact that american unis know about the UWC movement and have specific scholarships set aside for ex-UWCers. Plus, the emphasis on service and extracurricular involvement will give you an edge when applying.

It's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Just go to the Fulbright US-UK website for info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
DUDE, IF YOU GET INTO UWC GO!!!!

I applied and got a place at UWC Costa Rica - through the british national committee - but unfortunately didn't get a scholarship. Forget anything about A-levels vs IB, it is a fact that american unis know about the UWC movement and have specific scholarships set aside for ex-UWCers. Plus, the emphasis on service and extracurricular involvement will give you an edge when applying.

It's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Just go to the Fulbright US-UK website for info.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it , UWC looks freaaking awesome!!! How was Costa Rica????? Do you know how many scholarships they give? Plus when they see my financial form will they reject me bc they know I can't afford? What I mean is , say this guy does better than me on his assessment day , but he can afford the whole fees , will he get a scholarship before me?

Actually , when you say you didn't get a scholarship does that mean you didn't end up going? Or you payed the fees?
(edited 8 years ago)
Tell me about it , UWC looks freaaking awesome!!! How was Costa Rica????? Do you know how many scholarships they give? Plus when they see my financial form will they reject me bc they know I can't afford? What I mean is , say this guy does better than me on his assessment day , but he can afford the whole fees , will he get a scholarship before me?

Actually , when you say you didn't get a scholarship does that mean you didn't end up going? Or you payed the fees?

I didn't go unfortunately but I've kept up with all the friends I made at the selection days who went.

It's actually whoever has the best interview/enthusiasm throughout the selection day that determines who gets the scholarships or not. They essentially list people from top to bottom with those at the top getting varying amounts of support (depending on their financial background) from 100% to 50% bursaries. Those who didn't do as well but were still identified as suitable candidates (myself for example) were given the offer without a scholarship.

The devate between A-levels vs IB doesn't matter btw, the unis recognise both - I just hope you get into UWC!!
Original post by Princepieman
I didn't go unfortunately but I've kept up with all the friends I made at the selection days who went.

It's actually whoever has the best interview/enthusiasm throughout the selection day that determines who gets the scholarships or not. They essentially list people from top to bottom with those at the top getting varying amounts of support (depending on their financial background) from 100% to 50% bursaries. Those who didn't do as well but were still identified as suitable candidates (myself for example) were given the offer without a scholarship.

The devate between A-levels vs IB doesn't matter btw, the unis recognise both - I just hope you get into UWC!!

Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement !!!:smile:

This might be a weird question , but how much 'effort' did you put into writing the essay questions in the first round of application? I've taken ages to write them but I'm worried that there are people who have spent like 452 hours per question...
Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement !!!:smile:

This might be a weird question , but how much 'effort' did you put into writing the essay questions in the first round of application? I've taken ages to write them but I'm worried that there are people who have spent like 452 hours per question...

I put oodles and oodles of effort into my essays, they took maybe 5-10 hours in total to write. What's important is that you personalise them, really push your personality out there and make sure to check your writing for inconsistencies in grammar/spelling.

You're welcome, if you need anymore help just PM me and I'll try my best to respond.

Quick Reply

Latest