The Student Room Group

Are my dreams shattered? (CAREER IN SCIENCE)

I have always wanted to study medicine It is my dream however after recieving terrible grades I feel like I have no hope in any medicial career.
My GCSE'S are: 2A's, 2B's and 5C's (terrible I know)

Now because of this, I'm unable to study Chemistry OR Biology A-level which has made me really upset.

Is there any chance of me getting onto a good course at uni?
My current options for AS are:
Psychology, RS, English lang+literature, and Media.

Instead of an A level science my alternative was to choose the btec Applied Science alongside three other a-levels.

Please could anyone let me know if I could get into optometry or audiology or any route into medicine And If I should choose the btec Applied science instead of media studies?
(I am unable to retake my GCSE'S)

PLEASE HELP :'(
Much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

This route will take longer but if you do a degree and then do graduate medicine? It will take you 7 years overall instead of 5 but if it's your dream career you won't mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by kendellex
This route will take longer but if you do a degree and then do graduate medicine? It will take you 7 years overall instead of 5 but if it's your dream career you won't mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I don't mind, but what a level options should I stick with? Also what degree at uni first?
Thankyou
Original post by b.l
Yes I don't mind, but what a level options should I stick with? Also what degree at uni first?
Thankyou

Some universities don't mind which degree you do as long as you get a 2:1 or a first in it while others insist that it has to be a science degree. A popular choice for those doing graduate entry medicine is Biomedical Sciences since it's arguably the most relevant to a medicine degree after medicine itself. xD

You should try to take at least one science though... Even for Biomedical Sciences you'll probably need at least Biology. Although I seem to remember that Cardiff don't take people with more than one science subject onto their Biomedical Sciences course. It's odd but for some reason that's how it is.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
Some universities don't mind which degree you do as long as you get a 2:1 or a first in it while others insist that it has to be a science degree. A popular choice for those doing graduate entry medicine is Biomedical Sciences since it's arguably the most relevant to a medicine degree after medicine itself. xD

You should try to take at least one science though... Even for Biomedical Sciences you'll probably need at least Biology. Although I seem to remember that Cardiff don't take people with more than one science subject onto their Biomedical Sciences course. It's odd but for some reason that's how it is.

Thankyou for your reply,

Sadly, I'm unable to do biology a level due to my GCSE's, what should I do?
Original post by b.l
Thankyou for your reply,

In your situation, I would recommend that you choose the subjects you most enjoy out of the options available to you and then pursue them at university and then apply to those universities who have graduate entry programmes that don't require you to hold a 2:1 or better in a science degree.
Original post by b.l
Thankyou for your reply,

Alternatively, you could do what I've recommended above and then apply to a medicine foundation course which is geared specifically towards people with non-science A-levels. Of course you still need the same grades to get onto these as you would normal medicine but this is somewhat better than the graduate entry route since it only adds a year onto your degree instead of three and is arguably less competitive than graduate entry. The other problem with graduate entry is also that you'll struggle to fund the first four years of your medical degree (NHS pays your tuition from fifth year onwards) as the government loans and grants are only for first degrees, which would be your Biomedical Sciences degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
You absolutely can't do the a-levels you want? Can you fight for it?
I don't understand why you can't take any of the sciences if you've got A to C in all of your subjects.
If your college isn't letting you perhaps consider moving to a different college which would let you take the subjects you want to.
Medicine is a VERY competitive course and to ensure that you have a good chance of getting into the course you really do need to have science A-Levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Pomum96
You absolutely can't do the a-levels you want? Can you fight for it?

I needed both BB in double science gcse and B in maths but attained C's. I only met the requirement for english language, but needed maths and science B too :frown:
Is there any way I could get onto optometry or audiology with these a levels?
Reply 10
Original post by Londoner.
I don't understand why you can't take any of the sciences if you've got A to C in all of your subjects.
If your college isn't letting you perhaps consider moving to a different college which would let you take the subjects you want to.
Medicine is a VERY competitive course and to ensure that you have a good chance of getting into the course you really do need to have science A-Levels.

All the colleges local to me require BB in double science and B in maths which I don't have. And the thing is I am willing to do my best at a level sciences if I got chosen to do it. No one understands, I feel like i've ruined my life knowing I have never been able to do what I wanted to do, which is a career in science
Original post by b.l
I needed both BB in double science gcse and B in maths but attained C's. I only met the requirement for english language, but needed maths and science B too :frown:
Is there any way I could get onto optometry or audiology with these a levels?

Im really not sure but I spent a long time phoning up unis to ask if my subjects were ok for my course.
But are you sure you can't fight for it? Because a few of my friends did. If your parent/guardian explains to the school that you need particular subjects? If it doesn't go well, lots of people redo year 12, there's no shame in it.
Reply 12
Original post by Pomum96
Im really not sure but I spent a long time phoning up unis to ask if my subjects were ok for my course.
But are you sure you can't fight for it? Because a few of my friends did. If your parent/guardian explains to the school that you need particular subjects? If it doesn't go well, lots of people redo year 12, there's no shame in it.

I will try but I doubt it, things are starting to change this year sadly, what did they get at GCSE? I wouldn't mind as Iong as I get my grades but only if I could start with the science a levels from the beginning. I feel so upset.
Thankyou, I really appreciate your help
Reply 13
Original post by b.l
All the colleges local to me require BB in double science and B in maths which I don't have. And the thing is I am willing to do my best at a level sciences if I got chosen to do it. No one understands, I feel like i've ruined my life knowing I have never been able to do what I wanted to do, which is a career in science

I understand you want to do science. And I can understand that you messed the exams up, but there is a reason they don't let people take subjects at A Level. A Levels do require a deep understanding of the science GCSE course, and without it you will lagging behind the other people. This isn't good for you, the teachers will disrespect you, and they won't be prepared to help you as much as the other bastards who got A*. So you have a few options:

1. Don't care about the teachers at the start and work your ass off, (I mean it, and it has to be prolonged) so no fun this year I am afraid.
2. Change schools, maybe turning over a new slate will mean that the teachers won't know and will try and help you, (but I don't think its possible to do that now)
3. find something else: Perhaps a BTEC, apprenticeship etc

I would suggest option 1, because you CAN do it, if you really want to go into science you need to read up, and really work your ass off, then and only then can you expect some good results to come through that door,

I ****ed up my AS levels after getting ok GCSE's and there were people who got worse GCSE's than you who got AAAA. So trust me, you can do it man,
Reply 14
Original post by b.l
I have always wanted to study medicine It is my dream however after recieving terrible grades I feel like I have no hope in any medicial career.
My GCSE'S are: 2A's, 2B's and 5C's (terrible I know)

Now because of this, I'm unable to study Chemistry OR Biology A-level which has made me really upset.

Is there any chance of me getting onto a good course at uni?
My current options for AS are:
Psychology, RS, English lang+literature, and Media.

Instead of an A level science my alternative was to choose the btec Applied Science alongside three other a-levels.

Please could anyone let me know if I could get into optometry or audiology or any route into medicine And If I should choose the btec Applied science instead of media studies?
(I am unable to retake my GCSE'S)

PLEASE HELP :'(
Much appreciated

Have you thought about moving schools to retake your gcses ?
Original post by b.l
I will try but I doubt it, things are starting to change this year sadly, what did they get at GCSE? I wouldn't mind as Iong as I get my grades but only if I could start with the science a levels from the beginning. I feel so upset.
Thankyou, I really appreciate your help

They got Ds in maths so they had to resit to actually get into the 6th form. Then they did other subjects in AS but redid everything the year after. It took parent involvement and a fair few arguments and they promised they'd attend all the lunch time drop-in sessions etc. Don't hate yourself. Your situation sounds unreasonably unfair. I wish I could be of more help but keep enquiring about your options (careers advisor?) And please try putting up a fight just a bit. I had many a scrap with the head of sixth form, head of science and the teacher who deals with oxbridge applicants (i was not an oxbridge applicant and omg they wouldnt get the hint), as well as maths, physics and biology teachers. My reasons were different from yours but everyone thought they could decide my future and i wasnt having any of it.
Hey, please don't loose hope. I know it's a stressful time at the moment, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Firstly, I suggest you look around for other colleges/sixth forms that may allow you to do these a-levels. If that is not possible as the system is a lot more strict then if you to pursue a career in medicine for sure then I suggest you get home schooled and do private courses instead (e.g NEC). The grade requirements are not very high however there have been issues with private courses. You will have to work very very hard if you self study, and I suggest you hire a private tutor as well.

Don't rush into your options, take time to think as you would not want to regret it in the future.
I hope this helps!
Reply 17
Original post by JACCKYD
I understand you want to do science. And I can understand that you messed the exams up, but there is a reason they don't let people take subjects at A Level. A Levels do require a deep understanding of the science GCSE course, and without it you will lagging behind the other people. This isn't good for you, the teachers will disrespect you, and they won't be prepared to help you as much as the other bastards who got A*. So you have a few options:

1. Don't care about the teachers at the start and work your ass off, (I mean it, and it has to be prolonged) so no fun this year I am afraid.
2. Change schools, maybe turning over a new slate will mean that the teachers won't know and will try and help you, (but I don't think its possible to do that now)
3. find something else: Perhaps a BTEC, apprenticeship etc

I would suggest option 1, because you CAN do it, if you really want to go into science you need to read up, and really work your ass off, then and only then can you expect some good results to come through that door,

I ****ed up my AS levels after getting ok GCSE's and there were people who got worse GCSE's than you who got AAAA. So trust me, you can do it man,

I know I will always have to self study and I am willing to do that but how can I do that if they don't even put me on the science A-levels. I have already spoken to the college I have enrolled at but it's always a no.
Thankyou sooo much for your advice I appreciate it
No offence, but you might want to reconsider your dream of a career in science. Realistically, if you can't get at least Bs in GCSE science, there's nothing to suggest that you'll be able to handle the A-levels. Of course, it's not impossible, just very unlikely.
Reply 19
Original post by jasmine_6780
Hey, please don't loose hope. I know it's a stressful time at the moment, but there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Firstly, I suggest you look around for other colleges/sixth forms that may allow you to do these a-levels. If that is not possible as the system is a lot more strict then if you to pursue a career in medicine for sure then I suggest you get home schooled and do private courses instead (e.g NEC). The grade requirements are not very high however there have been issues with private courses. You will have to work very very hard if you self study, and I suggest you hire a private tutor as well.

Don't rush into your options, take time to think as you would not want to regret it in the future.
I hope this helps!

Thankyou for your help, If only they accepted C's as the entry requirement

Quick Reply

Latest