The Student Room Group

From teacher to Actuary

Hi,

I have been teaching for under 2 years now. (Mathematics). I have a strong degree and 4 strong a-levels. In terms of academic criteria for actuarial work and internships I tick the boxes.

However my question is, can I go from teaching to Actuarial work? Has anyone made a similar move? I was interested whilst at University, however I felt that teaching was the job for me. Now I am reconsidering.

Would like to hear people’s opinions and any help would be great.
Original post by jd144
Hi,

I have been teaching for under 2 years now. (Mathematics). I have a strong degree and 4 strong a-levels. In terms of academic criteria for actuarial work and internships I tick the boxes.

However my question is, can I go from teaching to Actuarial work? Has anyone made a similar move? I was interested whilst at University, however I felt that teaching was the job for me. Now I am reconsidering.

Would like to hear people’s opinions and any help would be great.

Hey, it might be worth contacting the HR departments of specific firms to see what your options are when applying to them. However, I believe you would just have to apply as if you were a new graduate. I.e apply to graduate schemes (which have already been released come out soon if they haven't yet).
Reply 2
I did a PGCE in mathematics, and then decided half way through that teaching wasn't for me and so applied for actuarial firms, and was successful about getting a place on the Pensions Consulting graduate scheme at Towers Watson.

I actually found that I had more to offer having done the PGCE (softer skills such as project management, time management, speaking in front of groups of people comfortably etc) compared to some mathematics graduates who largely had to rely on their grades.

I also know two other ex-teachers at my firm who are very successful actuaries, so I think you're definitely well placed to start applying for some roles!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending