The Student Room Group

Slavery

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chantalc
there's slavery all over the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
But unlike in many parts of the world,there's no significant abolitionist movement in the Arab world like there was in Europe and America.
Alot of South East Asian workers on the construction industry in the Gulf states are being treated as slaves.It's particularly disgusting the 2022 FIFA world cup was awarded to Qatar for this reason.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
But unlike in many parts of the world,there's no significant abolitionist movement in the Arab world like there was in Europe and America.
Alot of South East Asian workers on the construction industry in the Gulf states are being treated as slaves.It's particularly disgusting the 2022 FIFA world cup was awarded to Qatar for this reason.

Yeah, its terrible how they're treating them. Maybe the fact Qatar is super rich may be why fifa is turning a blind eye?
Reply 22
Original post by Lyuz
Isn't China and east asia a place for modern day slavery? Why don't we ever talk about this? I know there is the demand for cheap products but as the west is a large customer(?) for China's products shouldn't we do something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well actual black people are taken by arabs who hate blacks and think they are a race of slaves and own them in good old fashioned chattel slavery. not "modern" slavery.

and nobody gives a damn about that.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
What about the Middle East and North Africa?

Ahh yes that made me think about produce as in food - watermelons, bananas and cocoa...I just thought of China because they sign it with their country all the time but you make a very good point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiytt
All civilisation was built upon slavery—and likely, most of us will live our entire lives as wage slaves.

It's a matter of luck as to where and whom you are born to, for that is primarily the deciding factor to the extent of your fortune.

Built upon slavery sure but it doesn't have to stay this way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Lyuz
Built upon slavery sure but it doesn't have to stay this way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Corruption will always exist, for gluttony is a part of human nature.
Original post by Kiytt
Corruption will always exist, for gluttony is a part of human nature.

Pessimistic aren't you
Reply 27
Original post by Lyuz
Pessimistic aren't you

An optimist is simply choosing to ignore the harsh reality. Does it make a pessimist to view the world realistically?
Original post by Lyuz
Isn't China and east asia a place for modern day slavery? Why don't we ever talk about this? I know there is the demand for cheap products but as the west is a large customer(?) for China's products shouldn't we do something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

China was running big labour camps until fairly recently, full of political prisoners and anyone the government classified as 'criminal' and denied a fair trial. (A fair trial being pretty much unknown in China.) The labour camps were used to produce all kinds of goods by what amounted to slave labour that later found their way into goods for the West, including things like iPads, so it's reasonable to be concerned about this. Also millions of workers in Chinese cities are internal migrants who live in urban areas but are denied local healthcare and access to rights generally. The big companies that serve the western markets are well known for harsh working conditions, long hours and a hire and fire mentality. This is getting worse as the economic growth in China slows.

It's difficult to avoid buying goods that are partly or wholly made in China. We need to make more things in the west again and we need to decide to stop trying to create an equal playing field between their harsh and exploitative working conditions and the situation here. It would probably be better to put big trade barriers up against China and personally I think it should be illegal for the digital companies like Apple and Samsung to make their products there for sale here, given the terrible human rights situation in China.
Original post by Kiytt
An optimist is simply choosing to ignore the harsh reality. Does it make a pessimist to view the world realistically?

I thought you'd say that. Not necessarily? An optimist could just be interpreting and reacting to the world in their own way even though they know or forget how harsh the world is. If we all left the negativity alone, all of us would be screwed.
Reply 30
Original post by Lyuz
I thought you'd say that. Not necessarily? An optimist could just be interpreting and reacting to the world in their own way even though they know or forget how harsh the world is. If we all left the negativity alone, all of us would be screwed.

Well then, it must suck having unrealistically optimistic views on the potential for change in human nature, because it's impossible to achieve.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
China was running big labour camps until fairly recently, full of political prisoners and anyone the government classified as 'criminal' and denied a fair trial. (A fair trial being pretty much unknown in China.) The labour camps were used to produce all kinds of goods by what amounted to slave labour that later found their way into goods for the West, including things like iPads, so it's reasonable to be concerned about this. Also millions of workers in Chinese cities are internal migrants who live in urban areas but are denied local healthcare and access to rights generally. The big companies that serve the western markets are well known for harsh working conditions, long hours and a hire and fire mentality. This is getting worse as the economic growth in China slows.

It's difficult to avoid buying goods that are partly or wholly made in China. We need to make more things in the west again and we need to decide to stop trying to create an equal playing field between their harsh and exploitative working conditions and the situation here. It would probably be better to put big trade barriers up against China and personally I think it should be illegal for the digital companies like Apple and Samsung to make their products there for sale here, given the terrible human rights situation in China.

Thank you this is well said. I do think that we can create more jobs for British people by I guess redirecting the labour here.
Original post by Kiytt
Well then, it must suck having unrealistically optimistic views on the potential for change in human nature, because it's impossible to achieve.

Come on now. So stubborn. I get it, realistically life sucks so very politician and humanitarian should quit. How would it be impossible if major changes in history has already occurred therefore proving that people can change (even if the core of human nature stays the same). For example, Feminism, gay rights, freedom of speech.
Reply 33
Original post by Lyuz
Come on now. So stubborn. I get it, realistically life sucks so very politician and humanitarian should quit. How would it be impossible if major changes in history has already occurred therefore proving that people can change (even if the core of human nature stays the same). For example, Feminism, gay rights, freedom of speech.

So you're trying to equate social stigmas with ingrained biological human nature?
Original post by Kiytt
So you're trying to equate social stigmas with ingrained biological human nature?

I think we are getting off track from the topic here.
Reply 35
Original post by Lyuz
I think we are getting off track from the topic here.

Not really.

I'm saying that slavery will exist for as long as corruption exists; corruption will exist for as long as a desire for power exists, and a desire for power will always exist because, by nature, humans are gluttonous.

And that ties into why capitalism is as successful as it is—but THAT would be getting off-topic. What I've already said is relevant. I think you just don't have a good counter to it.
Original post by driftawaay
No need to single out China and East Asia as if we arent slaves in the western world. Thats what our life revolves around. Slavery.

May I ask what exactly you mean by that?
Original post by Kiytt
Not really.

I'm saying that slavery will exist for as long as corruption exists; corruption will exist for as long as a desire for power exists, and a desire for power will always exist because, by nature, humans are gluttonous.

And that ties into why capitalism is as successful as it is—but THAT would be getting off-topic. What I've already said is relevant. I think you just don't have a good counter to it.

Yes I admit I'm not smart enough to understand difficult terms or concepts - many confuse me. Are you saying that we cannot minimize corruption by trying to make a positive change, setting a good example and teaching our children to do so as well? We can do our best to ensure as much of the good people to have power. Of course there will always be people who are corrupt and after generations of peace we could be back at square one with all our hard work washed away by death.

I think this mindset is really ingrained in you and it would take a lot, or it can be impossible to change that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Lyuz
Yes I admit I'm not smart enough to understand difficult terms or concepts - many confuse me. Are you saying that we cannot minimize corruption by trying to make a positive change, setting a good example and teaching our children to do so as well? We can do our best to ensure as much of the good people to have power. Of course there will always be people who are corrupt and after generations of peace we could be back at square one with all our hard work washed away by death.

I think this mindset is really ingrained in you and it would take a lot, or it can be impossible to change that.

See there—you yourself just admitted that any attempt at trying to minimise corruption or to mitigate the consequences of it would have no guarantee in lasting, and that there is no possibility of corruption ceasing to exist in its entirety. If so, then why try? As the global population grows, the likelihood of even being able to make an impact is near none.

I have no desire to seek a change of mindset. In-fact, it's not a mindset, it's merely rationality. I apologise if the prospect of mankind's imperfections forever remaining is depressing, but life isn't supposed to be fair, nor great.
Original post by Kiytt
See there—you yourself just admitted that any attempt at trying to minimise corruption or to mitigate the consequences of it would have no guarantee in lasting, and that there is no possibility of corruption ceasing to exist in its entirety. If so, then why try? As the global population grows, the likelihood of even being able to make an impact is near none.

I have no desire to seek a change of mindset. In-fact, it's not a mindset, it's merely rationality. I apologise if the prospect of mankind's imperfections forever remaining is depressing, but life isn't supposed to be fair, nor great.

Try even if it's for a short duration because it's a good thing, it's impactful at least on a small scale and I suppose it can give meaning to a person's life. It can do good for the people you care about. Who cares about the impact it doesn't achieve, the focus would be on the impact it does achieve.

And it is a mindset and ideology that encourages people to do nothing. I acknowledge and accept that "the prospect of mankind's imperfections forever remaining is depressing, but life isn't supposed to be fair, nor great". If you want to stay out of it and mind your own business in life then sure, I won't force or harass you nor should anyone else. I respect your opinion. Just as a side note, it's likely that you have experienced first hand, the privileges of a first world country. It's probable that those who have not, or have been raised in a different environment would take a stance similar to mine.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending