The Student Room Group

IB courses for Medicine at University

I was wondering whether taking HL Maths, Chemistry and English plus SL Biology, History and French would seal the deal? I know you need at least two science subjects plus maths to get into the Medicine, but that is at A-level. I can't find any information regarding whether when taking the IB it matters if they are HL or SL. Could anyone help? Thank you!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by a.dan
I was wondering whether taking HL Maths, Chemistry and English plus SL Biology, History and French would seal the deal? I know you need at least two science subjects plus maths to get into the Medicine, but that is at A-level. I can't find any information regarding whether when taking the IB it matters if they are HL or SL. Could anyone help? Thank you!

I'm applying for medicine this year and my subjects were HL: chem, bio, english and SL: philosophy, french, math

For most uni's, they say they want two sciences/math at HL and another at SL, which is what you have, so I think you would be fine with this (but double check I would hate to have told you the wrong thing!!)

Considering that for medicine IB uni's want a high IB score, normally above 38, you want to think about your HL's and SL's to suit best how high you'd score overall. You've put HL maths and SL biology. Pointswise, I would definitely say that it is a lot easier to get a 7 in HL bio than in HL math (as HL bio is honestly just memorising facts, a lot of facts but still), and a 7 in SL math (you'll have to work hard but its significantly easier than HL maths seriously!!)

Chem HL is harder than bio HL I think, however easier than math HL and physics HL i've heard

I'm doing HL english, and its possible to get a 7 just work hard and try your best with all the coursework stuff. Also good for developing essay skills that you'll need at med school I've been told - but pretty much any subject in IB does this!

In french SL I've just done a massive topic on health so hooray you will be able to talk about medicine in french too hahha

In my philosophy course we did a section on medical ethics, which I thought was FAB because of learning about the more 'human' and 'empathetic' side of medicine if you know what I mean. However, if you did do philos your school may not choose the same topics as mine did

But history SL would be absolutely fine for medicine too I'm sure

hoped this helped :smile:))
Reply 3
Thank you so so much, this has been of incredibly great help!
Hi

Lots of free info on medical ethics here:

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/medical-school-interview/ethical-scenarios/

Plus a blog on e-cigarettes explored thro the 4 pillars of medical ethics:

https://www.themedicportal.com/applying-to-medical-school-blog-e-cigarettes/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending