The Student Room Group

further maths module choice help!

Hi,

A few years ago I achieved an A in Edexcel A level maths with C1 - C4, M1 and S1. I am looking to self learn further maths in my free time as I didn't have the opportunity to take it when I did my A levels. I am thinking of doing FP1, S2 and D1 in AS and FP2, S3 and M2 in A2. Does anyone who is currently studying further maths or have previously completed it have any advice on these module choices?

I am also very confused with the edexcel grading system for A/A*, can anyone shed some light on this? There are lots of posts about moving the non core modules between the maths and further maths in order to get better results in the standard maths.

Original post by gandmetz
Hi,

A few years ago I achieved an A in Edexcel A level maths with C1 - C4, M1 and S1. I am looking to self learn further maths in my free time as I didn't have the opportunity to take it when I did my A levels. I am thinking of doing FP1, S2 and D1 in AS and FP2, S3 and M2 in A2. Does anyone who is currently studying further maths or have previously completed it have any advice on these module choices?

I am also very confused with the edexcel grading system for A/A*, can anyone shed some light on this? There are lots of posts about moving the non core modules between the maths and further maths in order to get better results in the standard maths.

I taught myself those modules, except swapping M2 for S4. Those modules for Edexcel aren't too hard, though FP2 is tricky, so just go through the textbook, do as many of the hard questions as you can and maybe do solomon papers on top.

I'm not sure if doing M1 or S1 a few years ago affects whether you can move it around or not, so I won't comment on that, but hopefully someone in the know will reply :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
I taught myself those modules, except swapping M2 for S4. Those modules for Edexcel aren't too hard, though FP2 is tricky, so just go through the textbook, do as many of the hard questions as you can and maybe do solomon papers on top.

I'm not sure if doing M1 or S1 a few years ago affects whether you can move it around or not, so I won't comment on that, but hopefully someone in the know will reply :smile:

ok thanks for the reply, I did prefer S1 to M1 but thought that level 4 would be much harder.
Reply 3
Do what you want - that's the best advice. The only very difficult modules are M4 and M5; and the slightly more difficult ones are FP3/FP2/M3/S4. Do D1/D2 if you like decision, do M1/M2/M3 if you like mechanics, do the whole S1/S2/S3/S4 if you like statistics, you have to do FP2 but do FP3 if you like pure.

A lot of people say S1-S4 go in reverse difficulty order, with S1 being the hardest and S4 being the easiest. This is mostly due to the modules getting shorter as you go through them, and the difficulty gap between them narrowing. Mechanics modules do get harder a lot quicker though. D1 and D2 are relatively easy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gandmetz
ok thanks for the reply, I did prefer S1 to M1 but thought that level 4 would be much harder.

Personally I found S4 to be easier than S3, shorter and more straightforward, but that's no use to you as you can't skip S3. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending