The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
How long you hoping to be up there for? - I'm hoping (fingers X'd) to be there for the 5 years of the MEng course in Chemical Engineering with Environmental Engineering...

Was thinking about the 5 year option - I don't like the idea of being dumped in the deep end with a load of people that know each other already.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I've been going through the biology website to see what kind of courses and stuff there's on offer, and it's made me so excited about going to Edinburgh. But there's still four and half months to go!! (Well, come to think of it, it's surprisingly close actually. :eek: ) I also bought my plane ticket for the 5th of September. Moving to Scotland feels a lot more real now that I've got it.
Reply 82
elisabethbridge
I've been going through the biology website to see what kind of courses and stuff there's on offer, and it's made me so excited about going to Edinburgh. But there's still four and half months to go!! (Well, come to think of it, it's surprisingly close actually. :eek: ) I also bought my plane ticket for the 5th of September. Moving to Scotland feels a lot more real now that I've got it.

Same with me. At the moment I can't wait to get started and actually go to university. (Though I still got some persuation to do with my parents).
winnie the poo
Was thinking about the 5 year option - I don't like the idea of being dumped in the deep end with a load of people that know each other already.

kl...good for you...maybe I'll see you up there...what halls you planning to go for?
Strayin
Same with me. At the moment I can't wait to get started and actually go to university. (Though I still got some persuation to do with my parents).

Parents can be tricky sometimes, but I'm sure they'll come around. How could they not when it's about such a great place as Edinburgh. :wink: Did you already apply for accommodation?
Reply 85
elisabethbridge
Parents can be tricky sometimes, but I'm sure they'll come around. How could they not when it's about such a great place as Edinburgh. :wink: Did you already apply for accommodation?

I did apply for accommodation. I put Warrender Crescent as my first choice. What did you apply for? The problem with persuading my parents is that I could go to one of the most prestigeous unis in Germany for a little less money than Edinburgh and I am hearing that all the time :s-smilie: Hopefully, I will be seeing you around in Edinburgh come September.
Strayin
I did apply for accommodation. I put Warrender Crescent as my first choice. What did you apply for? The problem with persuading my parents is that I could go to one of the most prestigeous unis in Germany for a little less money than Edinburgh and I am hearing that all the time :s-smilie: Hopefully, I will be seeing you around in Edinburgh come September.

I applied for Hermit's Croft as my first choice, and then East Newington Place and WPC second and third.

Just out of curiosity, what's the uni you'd go to in Germany. I've heard of some German universities, but I've no idea which are the prestigious ones.
Reply 87
elisabethbridge
I applied for Hermit's Croft as my first choice, and then East Newington Place and WPC second and third.

Just out of curiosity, what's the uni you'd go to in Germany. I've heard of some German universities, but I've no idea which are the prestigious ones.

Nice choice of accomodation. The two unis I was going to apply for the Technical University of Munich and the University of Munich. They're internationally ranked highly (about 50th in the Shanghai ranking and the top two in Germany).
Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
kl...good for you...maybe I'll see you up there...what halls you planning to go for?

Haven't quite decided yet, but hopefully somewhere in Pollock - I want catered.
Reply 89
I just put Edinburgh as my insurance.

Evein although it's only my insurance and I live in Edinburgh can I still apply for accomm?
Lou_

Evein although it's only my insurance and I live in Edinburgh can I still apply for accomm?

From Edinburgh website:

"When should I apply for accommodation?
As soon as you can after late February 2007. Before applying, however, you must have decided to accept an offer of a place to study at Edinburgh -- even if your place at the University is conditional, or held on an insurance basis. Remember that there are deadline dates if you qualify for our guarantee of accommodation, but take the time to read this information first to make sure that you are making the right choices for you and that your application is completed in full!"

Seems like you can apply. :smile: Though they don't guarantee accomm for local applicants, but I suppose it's always worth a try.
Reply 91
Lou_

Apparently it depends on your home postal code. If it's EH anything then you won't be considered for accommodation. That doesn't mean that you have to live at home though.. Might be able to find a flat to share with other students.
Reply 92
So there's no point in me applying at all?
(I'm EH postocde)
When i went up there they said that any students living in Edinburgh wouldn't get accommodation straight away but apparently quite a few people drop out in the first few weeks and accommodation becomes available for students living in Edinburgh to move into if they still want to. So i'd recommend applying.
Reply 94
I picked Edinburgh as my firm for Philosophy and Politics last week.

I see there's lots of talk about accommodation already, so I won't ask any specific questions on this thread. I was just wondering though - there's no harm in me waiting with my accommodation application for another couple of weeks is there? I'm just right in the middle of my exam period at the moment - my head is on the verge of imploding - and I'd rather not have to worry about anything else until I'm done.

Anyhow, provided I don't entirely mess up my maths exam tomorrow, I hope to be seeing some of you in September. :smile:
Lou_
(I'm EH postocde)

I'm fairly sure that's not the case. I don't know, but I'd bet the EH postcode stretches quite a way out of the city of Edinburgh so that would be discounting a lot of people. I have a friend (albeit now a 3rd year) who has lived in Edinburgh all her life and got a place in Pollock in her 1st year. Fret not, and there's no harm in applying even if the odds are against you.
Lou_
(I'm EH postocde)

Apply. I don't think the EH postcode is strictly true, as afterall, I live 40+ miles from my nearest university at home and share a postcode, and I would have been shocked if they hadn't offered me accommodation! Like Catherine, I know several people who have lived in Edinburgh all of their lives and have places in first year accommodation. Ok, if you lived in Marchmont or somewhere I can see why they'd say no, but other than that...

Osmosis
I was just wondering though - there's no harm in me waiting with my accommodation application for another couple of weeks is there?

Not at all. I think last year the deadline was shortly before results day in August, and you're at no disadvantage if you apply at any time before then as allocations are completley random, and aren't even started until after results day. There is literally no benefit to getting applications in early other than the fact that it is then done.
Reply 97
Hey has anyoen filled in their PN1 forms yet, if you have what did you put fown for the address of The university of Edinburgh since I find loads of different addresses and don't know which to use.
Reply 98
oxymoronic
Apply. I don't think the EH postcode is strictly true, as afterall, I live 40+ miles from my nearest university at home and share a postcode, and I would have been shocked if they hadn't offered me accommodation! Like Catherine, I know several people who have lived in Edinburgh all of their lives and have places in first year accommodation. Ok, if you lived in Marchmont or somewhere I can see why they'd say no, but other than that...

Not at all. I think last year the deadline was shortly before results day in August, and you're at no disadvantage if you apply at any time before then as allocations are completley random, and aren't even started until after results day. There is literally no benefit to getting applications in early other than the fact that it is then done.

I'd contact the accommodation dept and ask to be sure. My cousin lived in Edinburgh and they told him that he would not be awarded a spot in residence since he was local so he went off to England for uni. Maybe it just depends on how many Edinburgh students apply for accommodation each year and how many places are still available after out of town and overseas students have been allocated a place? I applied for accommodation in Pollock the first week of Sept and still got a room, but it does say on the admissions offer that if you meet their offer they will provide you a place in residence in first yr.
I think the official address is

The University of Edinburgh
Old College
South Bridge
Edinburgh
EH8 9YL

I'm fairly sure that's the one I used.

arod
but it does say on the admissions offer that if you meet their offer they will provide you a place in residence in first yr.

If you apply for accommodation before the deadline. They definitely do not guarantee accommodation places if you apply after this deadline.

Latest

Trending

Trending