The Student Room Group

16 and skinny ( 64kg & 6ft 1 ) = HELP.

Im 16 and i am 6ft 1 .. weigh about 64-65kg. YEAH I KNOW. SKINNY AF. Ive tried for so long to gain weight but nothing really works.. i havent dedicated myself to actually gaining weight due to school work etc but now as im ready id like to know the best tips. I am planning to go gym to build some muscle but whats the best way of gaining weight whilst going to the gym? ASAP! protein shakes for my age maybe? What workout should i do and things like breakfast examples would be great. Thank u.
Check the Fitness sticky for some awesome novice workouts (I'm on the ICF 5x5).

Whilst working out, remember to: eat well (calories and protein/fats/carbs), rest well, and lift heavy! I'd recommend that you do some research.
Reply 2
As above poster said, the fitness FAQ is a good place to start.

The simple answer IMO is that you're not eating enough, even if it feels like you're eating a lot. Eat more.

I have porridge for breakfast, I mix in peanut butter, a few pieces of dark chocolate, have a banana and some yogurt on the side, and then some scrambled egg if I'm still hungry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
all you need to do is workout, gain muscle mass so you look bigger and inevitably gain weight - but not fat.
increase your caloric intake but don't go crazy on the junk food, eat things high in protein and healthy fats such as almonds, avocados, eggs, lean meat etc

my favourite healthy yet filling breakfast is Greek Yoghurt with raspberries & blueberries and granola. just eat a big breakfast, you can afford to do so:biggrin:

theres an app i use for my workouts called Nike Training, it gives you options such as 'get lean' 'get toned' 'get strong' etc, for individual workout sessions lasting between 15 to 45 minutes.
then it also has a 4 program, and for you i'd recommend 'get strong', and all you gotta do is choose your level of fitness, and begin and stay dedicated
good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dr1001
Im 16 and i am 6ft 1 .. weigh about 64-65kg. YEAH I KNOW. SKINNY AF. Ive tried for so long to gain weight but nothing really works.. i havent dedicated myself to actually gaining weight due to school work etc but now as im ready id like to know the best tips. I am planning to go gym to build some muscle but whats the best way of gaining weight whilst going to the gym? ASAP! protein shakes for my age maybe? What workout should i do and things like breakfast examples would be great. Thank u.

You say you have tried to gain weight but nothing works. This is bull****. Eat more. You aren't a unique snowflake, science is science, if you eat in a calorie surplus you will put on weight, end of story.

There are not secrets, no shortcuts, no magic protein shakes, no magic programs. Lots of food, sleep, and sticking to the basics in the gym will get you where you want to be.

By sticking to the basics in the gym I mean doing compound movements (squats, bench presses, deadlifts, overhead presses, rows, chinups etc) multiple times a week, with heavy weights, and trying to add weight over time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Get yourself a gym membership and find yourself a beginners programme which you enjoy, "ICF 5x5" is a good one, look it up. You probably need to eat more, although don't waste your time counting calories for now. Protein shakes IMO for beginners are unnecessary, especially at your age where your hormone levels are optimal for building muscle mass.

Quick Reply

Latest