The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Rosebery Hall

Just wondernig whether anyones been to Rosebery Hall/lived there before.

Was my first choice, but how likely am I to get my first choice accomodation? I thought that maybe because i had an uncondititional offer, and therefore put my application in ages ago, i might get my first choice...but by the sounds of it....tis pot luck.

What are the rooms like? Flats or 5/6 sharing toilet etc? or just individual rooms and a kitchen and toilet between 15/20...i have no idea.

Is it really 25 minutes from LSE or is it just rounded up/down.

What's Islington like for going out? do many of the rosebery people go out there?

If you get put in accomodation that you don't want, is there any chance to switching

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi, I have Rosebery as my 1st and 2nd choice... I believe that MuvverRussia was in that hall this year, and I've asked him similar questions, so I guess I can just copy/paste that (hope you don't mind MuvverRussia).

here it is:

MuvverRussia
Shared rooms here are OK- they're nothing special though. You'll be unlikely to get a psycho for a room mate though which is good (they pair up people quite accurately here). Unfortunately there's no mixed rooms- Rosebery itself is actually split into 2 wings, a male and female one although that doesnt detract from the spirit of the hall.

I highly recommend the twin ensuite btw. One of my mates is in one and it's huge (over 4 times the size of my room)- he also has a proper bathroom between 2 people whereas I share 2 toilets and a shower with about 14.

---

As for rooms, you'll probably be given an Β£80 room. Most undergrads are in the old block which is Β£80 a week, with some undergrads in the more expensive block. However, if you want to switch blocks it isn't too hard to move from the new block to the old one.

As for your other questions, once your accepted at Rosebery you'll be given another form to fill in about ensuite rooms and stuff. Don't worry about it.

Regarding people visiting, officially your only allowed guests for 3 nights, although it's not as though people check .

I normally walk to school. It's about 1.7km each way but is quite a nice walk through Grey's inn and Lincolns Inn- i like it.

As for surroundings- it's the best. The hall is away from other halls, so it is quite introverted- you'll generally hang round with other Roseberians, but apart from that it's good. We have a full size 24hr Sainsburys supermarket up the road (about 600m) as well as loads and loads of bars and clubs around there. The great thing about it is that it's cheap compared to central london though.

As for theatres- we're 60m from Sadler's Wells .

The hall atmosphere is absolutely brilliant. There's a real community and everyone respects each other. There aren't any issues with fights or loud music, although that depends on the people living in the hall .

Overall Rosebery is brilliant, apart from 2 things- the kitchens and the canteen. The kitchens are too small to cook in and the canteen is really shit (and expensive), so food isnt the best. Then again, you can go for a meal on upper street for not that much money.

---

The hall itself is quite international- you'll fit in fine. There's quite a few americans, europeans and asians as well as africans, most of whom integrate fine. However you'll find that a lot of the asians do tend to keep themselves to themselves.

Regarding part time employment in Rosebery I'm not actually sure. I think that most jobs go to 2nd years and postgrads there though. You don't get a cleaner in rosebery btw. It's quite easy to find a job in Clerkenwell/Islington though and the wage is normally around Β£5-6 an hour.

The hall has no policy on coming in late- just let yourself in. There's a 24hr security team but they're normally ok (apart from when you steal stuff and bring it back- like street signs, traffic cones etc), as for people not in the hall then again that isn't a problem- the hall is quite big so it's not hard to take someone back. There's no way to sneak in unfortunately .

that much I know. (btw thanks again MuvverRussia)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
No problem.

Generally you have big corridors (a la prison style) and share 1 shower, 1 bath and 2 toilets with around 16 people- it isn't as bad as it sounds though. The kitchens are shit though- 1 tiny cooker, a microwave and a fridge freezer for about 25-30 people, not good.

There's no chance of switching unless you organise it yourself btw (i.e. swap rooms with someone).
Reply 3
btw are twin and single rooms on the same corridor i.e. next door to each other or is there a separate part of the hall just for shared rooms. what about the shared ensuite?
The shared ensuites are in the new block, along with other rooms. The standard shared rooms are in the same corridor as normal rooms though.
Reply 5
I chose Rosebery for my first choice as well. From all I've read it seems like a fairly good choice. Sharing (small) kitchens and toilets doesn't sound that nice and the cost is quite high even though it's among the cheapest LSE has to offer. But I'm sure there are many good sides too and it's all worth it in the end.
I'm living in Rosebery hall right now, its very good. Other halls like High Holborn can be VERY noisy which around exam time especially is unpleasant, others like Passfield have a reputation for being quiet. Rosebery is just right I think, you will meet lively and friendly people to go out with but you can get peace and quiet when you want it (especially on the higher floors and in Mydleton Wing).

Yes, the catering is expensive and the quality does vary a lot depending on who the chef is but the staff are friendly and its not their fault!

It is about 20-25 mins walk away from LSE but thats not as bad as it sounds, anyway you can get the bus and be there in 10 mins or so.

Location is superb, easy walk to Islington high street with its many bars and pubs (and Elbow Room, well worth a visit on a Tuesday night) its a bus ride away from the usual sports society hang out of Walkabout in Shaftesbury Avenue on Wednesday. Take aways, supermarkets and newsagents are also close at hand. The shower and bathroom facilities aren't as bad as it may sound, trust me its fine. It has a deserved reputation for friendliness, it is 1 of the only uni halls in London to have a garden and the parties thrown by the committee are great fun. All in all its a very good hall! :smile:
Reply 7
Greyhound01
I'm living in Rosebery hall right now, its very good. Other halls like High Holborn can be VERY noisy which around exam time especially is unpleasant, others like Passfield have a reputation for being quiet. Rosebery is just right I think, you will meet lively and friendly people to go out with but you can get peace and quiet when you want it (especially on the higher floors and in Mydleton Wing).

Yes, the catering is expensive and the quality does vary a lot depending on who the chef is but the staff are friendly and its not their fault!

It is about 20-25 mins walk away from LSE but thats not as bad as it sounds, anyway you can get the bus and be there in 10 mins or so.

Location is superb, easy walk to Islington high street with its many bars and pubs (and Elbow Room, well worth a visit on a Tuesday night) its a bus ride away from the usual sports society hang out of Walkabout in Shaftesbury Avenue on Wednesday. Take aways, supermarkets and newsagents are also close at hand. The shower and bathroom facilities aren't as bad as it may sound, trust me its fine. It has a deserved reputation for friendliness, it is 1 of the only uni halls in London to have a garden and the parties thrown by the committee are great fun. All in all its a very good hall! :smile:

Sounds great. Thanks for the insider's opinion. I put down Rosebery as my first choice. Hopefully I get will get a place there. Islington sounds like an exciting place.

How about the kitchens? What is your opinion about them.

I will be cooking my own meals and I hope that the kitchen is somewhat decent. Do other halls have better kitchen. High Holborn? Bankside?
The kitchens where I am (the old block) are shit. You can't really cook in them unless you're just cooking a microwave meal or something- the cookers are especially bad.

High Holborn has proper kitchens (they're actually being renovated this year as well :eek:- they're not that old as well), but bankside and the other undergrad halls are like Rosebery. In fact Bankside is worse, as they actually lock the kitchens there overnight (and you can't unlock them using your room key).
Reply 9
MuvverRussia
The kitchens where I am (the old block) are shit. You can't really cook in them unless you're just cooking a microwave meal or something- the cookers are especially bad.

High Holborn has proper kitchens (they're actually being renovated this year as well :eek:- they're not that old as well), but bankside and the other undergrad halls are like Rosebery. In fact Bankside is worse, as they actually lock the kitchens there overnight (and you can't unlock them using your room key).

well, good thing I have a george foreman grill...aw yeah
ckwan16
well, good thing I have a george foreman grill...aw yeah

lol- i'm not sure if they're allowed as they pull quite a bit of power, then again you're told when people are coming into your room, so you'll have plenty of time to hide it :tongue:.
Reply 11
MuvverRussia
lol- i'm not sure if they're allowed as they pull quite a bit of power, then again you're told when people are coming into your room, so you'll have plenty of time to hide it :tongue:.

I have the smallest George Foreman Grill. It's meant for one person and I don't think it would pull that much power. Oh well, I need to find some device for cooking cause I really would rather make my own meals.

I don't need anything fancy, but I hope the stove will at least heat up a pot or a pan.
Will I be allowed to take my mini fridge?!!
Reply 13
Are there any power restriction at carr saunders?
feedtheflamingo

Yeah, although you may have to pay for the extra power it uses. I know people with them this year and some have paid and others haven't- just be prepared, it isn't that much anyway over the year.
How about an electric drum kit. What kind of electricity charges do they have. My electric kit uses quite a bit of power, but I wouldn't sue it very often. Do they have some sort of power usage acessment? Electricity is pretty dirt cheap anyway, so even if you had it on all year, it should only be 50 quid extra or something.

Cheers
Somehow I think that will be fine- it's only stuff with huge power requirements (i.e. kilowatts- so stuff like cookers, kettles, fridges, toasters etc) that are dodgy. An electronic kit will pull nowhere near that amount of power.

BTW- is it like a yamaha silent session kit? If so then room will be a problem as rooms in Rosebery are fairly small.
its slightly smaller than the yamaha ones. it s a roland one, and its the smallest an electric kit ca go, and im willing to sacrifice living space to have it there, but am interested about the size of the rooms. I havent seen any uni halls except for some ucl ones. They were small, but big enough to live in just about, and I reckon I can get my kit in there. They were just over one bed in width (about one bed length ways plus a foot or so) then about two and a bit beds long ways in length. But they had a couple of cupboards and a big wardrobe. the kit is pretty collapsable as well, so worst comes to worst, ill just have to keep setting it up and dismantling it.
feedtheflamingo

Technically you're not allowed I think but I said who cares and took one anyway, as long as u can hide it when they come round you won't get caught so go for it. The guy opposite me had a proper huge fridge in his room and never got found out!
Reply 19
Hi . I was wondering if there are any halls in LSE (or intercollegiate) which offer ensuite bathrooms for single rooms??

Latest