The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Computing As Level- is it useful?

I'm planning on taking English combined, Art, Photography, Maths and Further Maths (all A level except Further maths which would be AS Level) however I get the impression that Computing might be useful to get into Bournemouth/take a course in Animation there. I'd be grateful if someone could reply to this before Tuesday as my Enrolment is then.
Original post by Zxyllia
I'm planning on taking English combined, Art, Photography, Maths and Further Maths (all A level except Further maths which would be AS Level) however I get the impression that Computing might be useful to get into Bournemouth/take a course in Animation there. I'd be grateful if someone could reply to this before Tuesday as my Enrolment is then.

Hi,

Sorry, looks like we missed your post! What did you decide to do in the end? Have you got any questions about our animation courses?

Katie
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
That's okay I ended up taking Maths, Further Maths, English Lit/Lang, Art and Photography and am really enjoying them. Questions-wise, here are a few I have:
How much 2D animation (as in non-digital) does the course include as opposed to digital?
What kinds of programs do you use? I've tried my hand at a bit of Maya, Blender and Skulptris but know the latter two probably aren't what you use
Is it common for students to go out on a placement year during their course?
I'm attending your open day a week Saturday and will probably find out the answers there, but thanks for giving me the opportunity to ask here as well.
Original post by Zxyllia
That's okay I ended up taking Maths, Further Maths, English Lit/Lang, Art and Photography and am really enjoying them. Questions-wise, here are a few I have:
How much 2D animation (as in non-digital) does the course include as opposed to digital?
What kinds of programs do you use? I've tried my hand at a bit of Maya, Blender and Skulptris but know the latter two probably aren't what you use
Is it common for students to go out on a placement year during their course?
I'm attending your open day a week Saturday and will probably find out the answers there, but thanks for giving me the opportunity to ask here as well.

Hi Zxyllia,

Oh wow, sounds like an exciting mix! I'm really pleased to hear you're enjoying your courses, that's the main thing.

You might already know, but we have three different animation courses here, which are all a little different. It's an academic qualification, rather than a training course.

The courses are primarily 3D animation. You will however do some life drawing as well as completing any concepts and ideas in 2D before making the final piece into a 3D animation.

You asked about which programs we use too. We have the following production software installed:
Autodesk Maya, Mudbox and MotionBuilder
Pixologic ZBrush
Foundry Mari and Nuke
SideFX Houdini
Adobe Photoshop and Premier
Unreal Engine 4
Unity 5
There are several plugins which are available, including RealFlow, VRay, Shotgun and Golaem. Software development tools are open source and/or freely available, and include g++, clang, CUDA, Qt 5, SDL 2.

And finally, placements! Yes, there is the option to take a 40-week work placement, however not that many animation students take this up. Would you be interested in a 40-week placement, or a shorter one?

Katie
Original post by Zxyllia

Hi Zxyllia

My name is Amy and I am a student ambassador for Bournemouth Uni. I am also a third year archaeology student.

If you have any questions about BU, Bournemouth and life in general down here feel free to ask, I will help where I can.

Amy

Quick Reply