The Student Room Group
Reply 1
DeSiFiEd
the intensity of an xray beam at a distance from its source depends on magnetic field strength perpendicular to the direction the beam travels

I have to say whether thats true or false and why.

Could anyone help? With resources or just explaining.. thanks :biggrin:

Your question can be read in two ways. The intensity of an xray beam depends on the magnetic field OF the xray beam. OR it can mean The intensity depends on a magnetic field AFFECTING the xray beam....
Reply 2
DeSiFiEd
the intensity of an xray beam at a distance from its source depends on magnetic field strength perpendicular to the direction the beam travels

I have to say whether thats true or false and why.

Could anyone help? With resources or just explaining.. thanks :biggrin:

X-rays are produced by electrons colliding with a target material, which causes electron transistions in the material, this causes a photon of electromagnetic radiation to be emitted i.e. and X-ray.

You increase the intensity of the X-ray by increasing the number of electrons hitting the target...

X-ray beams cannot be deflected by electric or magnetic fields, which is evidence that they are not charged particles. So I would say it's false.
Reply 3
Einsteinium
X-rays are produced by electrons colliding with a target material, which causes electron transistions in the material, this causes a photon of electromagnetic radiation to be emitted i.e. and X-ray.

You increase the intensity of the X-ray by increasing the number of electrons hitting the target...

X-ray beams cannot be deflected by electric or magnetic fields, which is evidence that they are not charged particles. So I would say it's false.

True. But Xray beams HAVE a magnetic compoent to their wave...
Reply 4
Mehh
True. But Xray beams HAVE a magnetic compoent to their wave...

I think that the question refers to an external magnetic field that is affecting the X-ray because it says that it is perpendicular to the travel.

Latest