The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Chances for LSE

Hi! This is the first time I'm posting on this forum.
I have just completed my high school (American format) in a school in Pakistan and these are my grades.

SAT
Reading: 640
Writing: 660
Math: 720

AP:
English Lang: 4
English Lit: 3
Microeconomics: 5
Macroeconomics: 5
Calculus AB: 5
Physics 1: 4

GPA: 3.32

I am applying to LSE in the program Accounting and Finance. What are my chances of getting in? Also I am taking a gap year. Any recommendations for that. Tips on the personal statement would also be helpful.
Also, are there any other good universities in London for accounting that could be comparable to Warwick, Bath, etc.

Thanks!
Original post by Hamzakhan1
Hi! This is the first time I'm posting on this forum.
I have just completed my high school (American format) in a school in Pakistan and these are my grades.

SAT
Reading: 640
Writing: 660
Math: 720

AP:
English Lang: 4
English Lit: 3
Microeconomics: 5
Macroeconomics: 5
Calculus AB: 5
Physics 1: 4

GPA: 3.32

I am applying to LSE in the program Accounting and Finance. What are my chances of getting in? Also I am taking a gap year. Any recommendations for that. Tips on the personal statement would also be helpful.
Also, are there any other good universities in London for accounting that could be comparable to Warwick, Bath, etc.

Thanks!

LSE is incredibly competitive and courses such as A&F are even more competitive due to the oversubscribed demand for places. With such high applicants, LSE can afford to turn down otherwise stellar applications because they know they will receive the best.

I have a basic knowledge of the American system, and (forgive me for being harsh) I don't know if that will be enough to create a strong application. LSE expects the top grades, especially for courses where few are accepted.

But, LSE does also weight heavily on the personal statement. So if in the statement, you talk a lot about books you've read around the subject (and analyse them!) as well as evidence of your passion for their course specifically, then you could stand a chance.

Nothing is guaranteed, as there is no formula to an offer. But I wish you luck in your application :smile:

RWB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Also check their website for details on grade requirements - they should have information on the American system

Posted from TSR Mobile
Generally, is it true that if you comfortably exceed the grade requirements and write a good PS, you should be in as an international student? I understand it's less competitive for internationals as we aren't subsidized by the British government and thus there's no quota?
Reply 4
any experience u have that can apply to the finance world? for example owning stocks on stock market? if so write this on ure personal statement
mention some good analysts/traders such as Mohammed erian, say they inspired u. etc etc
Original post by beam314159
Generally, is it true that if you comfortably exceed the grade requirements and write a good PS, you should be in as an international student? I understand it's less competitive for internationals as we aren't subsidized by the British government and thus there's no quota?

There's still quotas on international students but generally they do accept more. Your personal statement must be exemplary however.
Reply 6
I'm taking a gap year right now and am considering taking the following APs:
Psychology
Human Geography
Environmental Science
Statistics
Physics 1 (Retake)
Calculus BC (maybe)
Hopefully I'll get a 5 in all of them.

That should complete the requirement.I've read the requirements page on the website and it says that Calculus BC is only required for courses that REQUIRE A-levels mathematics. Accounting and Finance doesn't require mathematics but it does recommend it. Do you think I'll be able to get in without taking Calculus BC because as you can already probably tell I already have a lot on my plate as it is.
I'm taking a gap year right now and am considering taking the following APs:
Psychology
Human Geography
Environmental Science
Statistics
Physics 1 (Retake)
Calculus BC (maybe)
Hopefully I'll get a 5 in all of them.

That should complete the requirement.I've read the requirements page on the website and it says that Calculus BC is only required for courses that REQUIRE A-levels mathematics. Accounting and Finance doesn't require mathematics but it does recommend it. Do you think I'll be able to get in without taking Calculus BC because as you can already probably tell I already have a lot on my plate as it is.

If there's one subject you shouldn't drop, it's Calculus, as it's the only "preferred subject" listed, and you already have AB covered. Also, you would currently barely meet the requirements, so you don't have any leeway to drop any AP exams. In fact, I would add an additional AP exam so you still have a chance at LSE even if something unexpected (insomnia before an exam, say) gets you a 4 on exam day.
Also, I don't understand why you're taking so many pairs of non-preferred subjects instead of single preferred subjects -- wouldn't it be easier to just take 4 AP exams instead of 6?
Reply 8
Original post by beam314159
If there's one subject you shouldn't drop, it's Calculus, as it's the only "preferred subject" listed, and you already have AB covered. Also, you would currently barely meet the requirements, so you don't have any leeway to drop any AP exams. In fact, I would add an additional AP exam so you still have a chance at LSE even if something unexpected (insomnia before an exam, say) gets you a 4 on exam day.
Also, I don't understand why you're taking so many pairs of non-preferred subjects instead of single preferred subjects -- wouldn't it be easier to just take 4 AP exams instead of 6?

I get where you're coming from but if you look closely in the list of preferred subjects, its says that Microeconomics and Macroeconomics count as ONE PREFERRED subject rather than two non preferred subjects. Likewise, Environmental Science and Human Geography go together.

That would mean that I would have four preferred subjects:

Physics 1 (already have a 4. Will resit to get a 5)
Calculus AB/BC (5 in AB. Will sit BC)
Microeconomics and Macroeconomics (Already 5 in both)
Environmental Science and Human Geography (Relatively easy subjects)

and two non preferred subjects:
Statistics (Relatively easy subject)
Psychology (Relatively easy subject)

The reason I have chosen these subjects is that these are some of the easiest exams to self study for. Taking Human Geography and Environmental Science would be easier than - for example - Biology or History.

Also just want to note that math isn't required but is recommended. Do you think I can get away without taking BC and only taking AB.
I get where you're coming from but if you look closely in the list of preferred subjects, its says that Microeconomics and Macroeconomics count as ONE PREFERRED subject rather than two non preferred subjects. Likewise, Environmental Science and Human Geography go together.

That would mean that I would have four preferred subjects:

Physics 1 (already have a 4. Will resit to get a 5)
Calculus AB/BC (5 in AB. Will sit BC)
Microeconomics and Macroeconomics (Already 5 in both)
Environmental Science and Human Geography (Relatively easy subjects)

and two non preferred subjects:
Statistics (Relatively easy subject)
Psychology (Relatively easy subject)

The reason I have chosen these subjects is that these are some of the easiest exams to self study for. Taking Human Geography and Environmental Science would be easier than - for example - Biology or History.

Also just want to note that math isn't required but is recommended. Do you think I can get away without taking BC and only taking AB.

I wasn't implying that they wouldn't accept those pairs of scores, merely that I would minimize the number of 5s I was required to get to maximize your chances of success. If you've done your research and really believe that 4 5s are easier than 2, then go ahead.

Again, math A-Level (so Calc BC) is the only subject they recommend -- a strong hint that it will make your application maximally competitive. They might also be worried that you lose even your AB ability over the year until you enroll if you don't continue to study it, not to mention the rather lackluster picture it paints of your interest in math.
Reply 10
Btw is there any chance that someone who got an offer for 2015 entry could post what grades they got? Possibly those with AP scores?
Hello, I am also an international student applying for PPE.
I have 8 A*s, 2As and 1B in my GCE o levels and 4As in my As Levels.
My predicted grades stand at 4A*s.
What do you think my chances are at LSE and other top tier universities (UCL, Oxford, Warwick)?
Reply 12
Bump?
Hi. I'm an international student on a gap year with 7A*2A1B for my GCSEs and A-level grades of A*AA including Maths. I've done some work experience at an Accounting firm back in my home country and I've been involved in loads of extra-curricular activities in the sixth form. Since I already have the required grades, do any of you think I have a chance of getting into LSE for A&F with a stellar personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending